Who has used Hyperlube? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Hardcore Tech and Competition Strictly HARDCORE tech info and questions and also autocross / racing discussion!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 AM
not actual size

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Who has used Hyperlube?

The oil change before last I used some stuff called Hyperlube (http://www.hyperlube.com) and was amazed at the power difference it gave me. Seriously, it felt like an extra 15 whp when I hit the powerband. I'm 90% positive it wasn't placebo effect, because this last time when I changed my oil I did not use Hyperlube and my car feels sloooow. Furthermore, I didn't even know that the stuff was supposed to give the motor a boost... I got it on recommendation for sludge prevention and quieting lifter noise. The performance aspect was a very nice surprise

Has anyone else used this before? Know anything about it pros/cons? Experience the same performance increase?

Alternately, is anyone willing to be a guinea pig for me and see what it does for your car?

-- Jonathan W.

http://fleshy.org.nz/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2003, 10:53 AM
Official TN Member

Re: Who has used Hyperlube?

Quote:
Originally posted by brink
The oil change before last I used some stuff called Hyperlube (http://www.hyperlube.com) and was amazed at the power difference it gave me. Seriously, it felt like an extra 15 whp when I hit the powerband. I'm 90% positive it wasn't placebo effect, because this last time when I changed my oil I did not use Hyperlube and my car feels sloooow. Furthermore, I didn't even know that the stuff was supposed to give the motor a boost... I got it on recommendation for sludge prevention and quieting lifter noise. The performance aspect was a very nice surprise

Has anyone else used this before? Know anything about it pros/cons? Experience the same performance increase?

Alternately, is anyone willing to be a guinea pig for me and see what it does for your car?
Did you get the lifter noise quieted? What oil did you use? What car?

Just curious - my engine is noisier that I think it should be. Plus, it is consuming more oil than I think it should (almost a quart per 5K miles of not too hard driving.

'00 Camry i4, 78K, Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic.
#3 Old 12-12-2003, 12:44 PM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
You betcha... lifter noise quieted way down. I used straight 30 weight from Circle Oil (a local oil Co.) at the time, but hyperlube is supposed to work with any oil.

-- Jonathan W.

#4 Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
operation boro thunder

this hyperlube you speak of, is it in a tiny bottle, like coca cola and a bit smaller?

long time ago my mechanic poured a bottle of this stuff named CLiK in my van's engine, and it was immediately running so smooth and quiet...hmmm

he showed us a demonstration where he applied lots of honda motor oil on a lever, which contacts a spinning component (don't know what machine that is), when the lever made contact with the rotating wheel, squeals occured.....then wipered the old honda oil off clean, applied a thin layer of this CLiK stuff to the lever end, then wiped it off. Again the lever went down on the wheel, and there was absolutely no noise.....everything was moving smoothly

anyhow only used the free bottle he gave us, didn't bother looking for them in stores afterwards, but it was impressive.....and fishy.

#5 Old 12-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Phi
Whine Connoisseur

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I'm personally very skeptical and hesitant to use additives that make "too good to be true" claims. I would much rather be diligent with regards to regular fluid changes and staying on top of maintanence issues to avoid the need for corrective additives.

glad to hear you had a positive experience Brink and appreciate you sharing your findings though
#6 Old 12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
I don't typically like additives either, I thought it was worth a shot though. Only a couple bucks for a quart.

Project Trueno: Yeah, it comes in a tall, clear bottle. Amber colored. The stuff pours like honey, and it's uber slippery.

-- Jonathan W.

#7 Old 12-12-2003, 11:15 PM
^

I think I'll try it, my lifters are getting noisey.

#8 Old 12-13-2003, 04:56 AM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
Right on, deep. Basically you use one bottle to replace a quart of oil you would put in the motor. So in a 3.8 qt fill like mine, I put in 2.8q of oil and one bottle of hyperlube.

Let me know how it goes, I'm really interested in seeing if others have similar experiences with it. As I recall the change wasn't instantaneous... it took a couple days for it to work its way through the engine or something.

-- Jonathan W.

#9 Old 12-13-2003, 10:29 AM
In Ur MOM's Pants

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
me dont use additives
tried it once and my tranny in the wagon blew

so no more additives ever again

keep the signatures clean please
#10 Old 12-13-2003, 04:28 PM
^

It doesn't really make sense, if the additive was so great, then why wouldn't Toyota use it from the factory and recommend it on oil changes. I'll try it anyway.

#11 Old 04-19-2004, 12:55 AM
One with the force

Got a trannie flush from Jiffy and it worked great about half a day. Thinking about additives. Got a brand you like?

old faithful
#12 Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 AM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
Well, there's a hyperlube A/T additive, but I really don't know about that. If it's manual just go with redline or something like that.

-- Jonathan W.

#13 Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM
operation boro thunder

long story short, these oil additives are all a scam. Lucas oil, slick50, ZMAX, hyperlube, etc, etc are all really just thicker tinted motor oil, pretty much all the companies got taken to court by the FTC because all of them claim something that was not proven, in fact some brands like ZMAX actually increases bearing corrosion.

the fancy 2 wheel display you see at autoparts stores, you can do the same with Head and Shoulders and it'll show the same effect

#14 Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 AM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
Normally I'd agree with you, except there's a qualitative difference to my acceleration with hyperlube versus without. More of a kick.

-- Jonathan W.

#15 Old 04-20-2004, 09:35 AM
not actual size

(Thread Starter)
Possibly. Hard to say, while my shortblock is only around 12k old, I do drive it pretty hard.

Who knows. And as the original post stated, at least it quieted the lifter noise

The issue is complicated for me cause I've got some sort of EGR thing going on (best I can figure out), cause there's a sudden surge in power at around 4000 rpm, which is where the EGR closes, as I understand it.

-- Jonathan W.

Last edited by brink; 04-20-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Hardcore Tech and Competition