This is regarding my 1997 Corolla CE, 1.6 liter engine. The check engine light turned on, and I got ahold of a hand-held OBDII scan tool. It read out 4 DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes):
1 of 4 = P0130 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1
2 of 4 = P0133 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
3 of 4 = P0130 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1
4 of 4 = P0133 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
Can anybody help answer my questions...
1) The fact that codes 1 and 2 are repeated on 3 and 4 means that after a memory reset, the system detected the same two DTC's again? I did disconnect the battery to make sure it was not a sporadic malfunction. The check engine light did turn on again a few days later.
2) Which sensor is on bank 1 sensor 1? Before or after the catalytic converter? I found the repair guide at
and was wondering which sensor this illustration corresponds to.
3) Should I try to order a replacement sensor and replace it myself? (I have not done any car repair work beyond changing sparkplugs, tires, replacing battery, etc., but am good at fixing computers, VCRs, etc. Just wanted to get a feeling of the required skill set.)
4) If the answer to 3 is no, how much is this going to cost me? Can anybody recommend a good repair shop in the San Jose, CA area?
5) I know this O2 sensor problem is common; has anybody gotten repair covered under warranty? I found two TSBs that may be relevant:
SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
EG003R-02 MAR 02 Emissions - OBD II Readiness Monitor Drive Patterns
but haven't found the text for the "SS002-03" TSB. Is this a lead worth pursuing?
Thanks for all help!