Zymol vs. Mothers vs. Meguiar's? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Detailing & Car Care Discuss detailing techniques and products for your Toyota here!
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 AM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Zymol vs. Mothers vs. Meguiar's?

After the local car wash leaving me wet too many times and scraping up my wheel (I think), I'm through with them! I've used Meguiar's in the past, but never to the level of care and detail I want to start paying to my HL. Have no experience with Mothers other than word of mouth having it comparable to Meguiar's. Now discovered Zymol and the rave reviews surrounding there products. I'm looking for anyone's personal experiences with Zymol, especially in comparison to Mothers and Meguiar's.

Thanks

'08 HL Sport 4WD, Blizzard Pearl/Ash, AUSSIE NUDGE BAR, 2-Row Seating, Tow Package w/ Reese Hitch, Power Rear Door, Wedge-Style Aluminum Running Boards, Color-Keyed Side Molding; Yakima Roof Rack, Viper 5701 Remote Start/Alarm, Kenwood DNX9140; Infinity Kappas/475a; RF T1T Tweeters, P3D410/P300-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Official TN Member

Many years ago I found a product called Zaino that I have used on all my cars with most excellent results. It is a polish, not a wax so have many good properties like an outstanding deep shine and nothing sticks to it whatsoever, like the horrible Florida Love Bugs, etc. The other benefit is once you have it applied (every coat makes it look better) it last for many, many years (unlike wax). Best product I have ever found.

There is one down side. If you have to repaint for any reason, the body shop must know how to deal with this product else your new paint will not adhear properly and will bubble up if repainted. It penetrates the paint and the primer and makes it 'slick'. Still, even with that in mind, it is the best product I have ever found.
#3 Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Official TN Member

Be careful with polishers - they take off a small layer of clear coat each time you apply them. I would stick to wax most of the time and only rarely would use polisher.
#4 Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Vivir el momento

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,515 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Can't go wrong with either of the 3 brands. All of them are solid.

They are just priced differently and cater to different people.

Generally speaking, Mother's is more for the weekend hobbyist, Meguiars is mid-priced has a larger line of products that caters to many different tastes anywhere to basic to the detailing freak, and Zymol is priced higher and offers different waxes mixed with different concentrations of Brazilian Carnauba wax.

I've never had any experience with Zymol, but I'm a regular Mother's and Meguiars user.
#5 Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanked 4,765 Times in 3,321 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBengal View Post
I'm looking for anyone's personal experiences with Zymol, especially in comparison to Mothers and Meguiar's.
To tell the truth, BB, I'd say none of the three. I know there's a lot of people here who'll give a to me for saying this, but I've always sworn by 5starshine. Google their site and check it out. I've used that product on my cars for years now and swear by it, the only difference being they state it'll last five years but my experience is one full year for an outdoor car and three for a garaged one. I did 5star on my Highlander 1 1/4 years ago and when I washed it recently the water still beads, the finish still shines, and bug splats and road grime on the front bumper wipe right off. For the extra money it's worth it since it saves a lot of time and labor.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#6 Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
OEM+

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Mothers I've stopped using due to the fact that their products don't really interest me and they don't really have professional polishes or compounds to use.

Meguiars is great for their Professional Line of products like the soaps, all purpose cleaners, etc but the polishes can be easily be replaced by Menzerna. Meguiars #26 has had rave reviews in the past. In terms of polishes, I use only M105 and M205.

Zymol is a great company, but only if you get the products not made by Turtle Wax (thats the bottle you see at Target and Walmart). I have used Creme, Concours, and Vintage in the past and they work quite well for the cars I've used them on. Its one of my favorite wax companies along with Swissvax

Hope this helps somewhat...

1996 Beige Lexus ES300
2010 Blue Ribbon Metallic Camry LE
#7 Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Official TN Member

+1 for Zaino. It is actually a synthetic wax rather than carnauba. The word "polish" is a bit misleading as it contains no abrasives (unless you use their newest product which is specifically designed to remove scratches and swirls) and according to the manufacturer is 99% optically clear, unlike carnauba which has a yellow tone.

It's easy to apply if you follow the steps. It won't stain rubber or other trim and does not leave white residue. And tests have shown it outlasts many leading brands. I usually apply 2-3 times per year.

Shine is fantastic, but some prefer the "warmer" look of carnauba. Car care fanatics are actually applying multiple layers, combining synthetics similar to Zaino, then topping off with Carnauba to get the warm look. I'm not that keen, and Zaino suggest that topping with Carnauba is a waste as it will not stick.

This August, will be 10 years I have been using Zaino on 3 cars - 2 Subaru Outbacks (one maroon, the 2nd pearl red) and now my 09 black HL. Prior to, I used Mother's and Meguiars. Both have great shine, but after a few washes, no more beading and the shine starts to fade. They just did not last nearly as long as Zaino, or any other top line synthetic waxes.

So can most see the diff between Pinnacle, Klasse, Zaino, or other synthetics? Probably not. All are great and all have excellent durability. Anyway, what matters is that whatever product you use, you are happy with it. I have no experience with Zymol, but of Mothers and Meguiars, I would recommend the latter for durability.

As an aside, I just used a Porter Cable 7424 orbital polisher and Zaino PC to remove those unsightly spider web swirls that you see at a certain angle. I forgot to tell the dealer not to detail and wax my car prior to delivery....I think they use dirty mits and poly towels. Anyway, I clayed the entire HL, fully polished it with Z-PC, then 3 coats of Z5, and my black HL looks fantastic.

When I can get some pics in the sun to demo, I will. For now, here are a couple of pics under the lights in my garage.

My hood:

Sorry, hand not steady enough on the next one...a bit blurry...

Former owner of 09 HL Sport, loaded Cdn version.

#8 Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
OEM+

Hmm, if you were referring to waxes, thats only 95% of the equation on looks. Heres an example of excellent prep on my 96 Lexus ES300. About 30 hours total went into polishing this into perfection. Wax was Dodo Juice Supernatural, 2 coats.

1996 Beige Lexus ES300
#9 Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Official TN Member

Darn! Very well polished autos. Shame on me.

"You'll never know til you try"
07 Toyota Camry
02 Honda Civic EP3 - AEM V2 CAI, Greddy Exhaust, DC Sports accessories
Glock 17 & 34
Sold = 89 - 22R-E, 4x4, 5speed, Xcab, 31x10.5
#10 Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!

(Thread Starter)
USA

Thanks guys for the advice and the pics, they look great! I have the '08 HL Sport in Blizzard Pearl and live in Louisiana. Bugs, dirt, rain (with chemical plants all around), blazing hot sun, bad roads, and I park outside. I'm looking for something to really bring out the pearl color's depth, while still giving great, long-lasting protection from elements. I don't mind doing a full waxing 3-4 times a year, and plan on doing a simple wash routine weekly. Thanks again for the help.

'08 HL Sport 4WD, Blizzard Pearl/Ash, AUSSIE NUDGE BAR, 2-Row Seating, Tow Package w/ Reese Hitch, Power Rear Door, Wedge-Style Aluminum Running Boards, Color-Keyed Side Molding; Yakima Roof Rack, Viper 5701 Remote Start/Alarm, Kenwood DNX9140; Infinity Kappas/475a; RF T1T Tweeters, P3D410/P300-1
#11 Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 AM
OEM+

For durability and looks, have you considered doing a sealant then a carnauba wax?

1996 Beige Lexus ES300
#12 Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM
TN's Resident Goddess.

Garage
I'm a little late, but I use Zymol.

It doesn't last as long and Mothers and the other waxes, but with my red car it really deepens the color and does a great job protecting.

I am the kind of woman that when
my feet hit the floor each
morning the Devil says,
"Oh shit, She's Up!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3389758
#13 Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

I use smartwax since it's from 100% carnauba, your meguiar's i've learned that is water down to like 2% carnauba. and it's very easy to apply and remove, i've never had to sweat to buff off the dry wax and i've done it here in L.A. where the sun beats down.
#14 Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
red 2010 XRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoluScion View Post
I use smartwax since it's from 100% carnauba, your meguiar's i've learned that is water down to like 2% carnauba. and it's very easy to apply and remove, i've never had to sweat to buff off the dry wax and i've done it here in L.A. where the sun beats down.
sorry, but you dont really know what you are talking about. Carnuba is one of the hardest natural substances on earth, and real 100% can hardly be dented with a hard hammer blow.

Usually any wax that says 100% carnuba means that only carnuba wax is used, no other waxes, but ALL carnuba waxes need huge amounts of some type of solvent (not in the alcohol sense) to allow them to be manipulated and applied.

2010 XRS in Barcelona Red

Last edited by searle; 10-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.
#15 Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
red 2010 XRS

Have used all three, at different times over many years. Started with Meguiars (just by chance), and then later moved to Mothers. Not a huge difference, just Mothers was (and still is) a little more end-user consumer oriented. Several years later I switched to Zaino, which gave a solid glass-like reflection, but after a few years I realized it lacked the wet-look depth of other non-synthetic waxes I had used in the past.

Finally, 4 years ago, I went back to Meguiars. Mostly because they have the broadest collection of product. If you just want a simple wash then wax, any of the three are fine (and others). I have gotten fairly fanatic about car care, and now like to wash and then clay-bar and then Cleaner (all these 3-4 times a year). After the preceeding, or every month of so, I glaze/polish (for that perfect wet-look depth that glaze oils give) and then polymer sealant (for that glassy reflection and long protection). Sometimes (typically during the summer) top this off with a carnuba since that seems to slightly improve the final finish and color/depth.

Again, for wash and then Wax, almost anyones is fine. Meguires gives me the broadest choice since I have the time and interest in doing all this more involved detailing (although Mothers comes a close 2nd). But, keep in mind that the really great finishes DONT come from anybodys wax (it is not that simple), it comes from the careful preparation topped by one of the better waxes.

2010 XRS in Barcelona Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Detailing & Car Care