Toyota Nation Forum banner

My car sat for 1 week!

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  cd8000 
#1 ·
So I was once again carpooling to school and my car sat for a week. I noticed that the crank was making sounds which I believe was normal. I first pulled out the EFI fuse and gave it a 3 to 4 turns. Then I cranked over the engine and let it idle for 30 minutes.

I wonder if I did it right? My mechanic told me this : Do not rev the engine or put it in gear. You must let it idle for 30 minutes.

#4 · (Edited)
I also think 30 minutes is unnecessary and a little excessive.

I've kept my Camrys (including 2nd gen) in the garage for months on end without starting during winters here. Then starting, warming up until drop in idle, and driving off after 10-15 minutes was my routine and never a problem.

Unlike my BMW-owning friend, who has to keep a constant external battery connection for trickle charge whenever he stores his car for more than a week, otherwise dead battery and other electronics complications. BMW states their cars' electronics are always "on" and that they're designed to be driven, not stored. Well, I say I'll store my BMW at the dealer's lot.

#5 ·
You should have no problems starting and driving the car after sitting for 1 week. The parasitic draw for things like the car's computer and the audio system's memory just isn't that great. I let my sports car sit for 3 or 4 weeks in the summer and it starts right up. I don't let it idle for more than 10 or 15 seconds and then drive it slowly with a few light brake applications to get the surface rust off the brake rotors. If the car doesn't start, then you have a battery or charging system problem. I wouldn't let the car sit and idle for any longer than on any other start. Just drive it gently for a mile or so. No need for any longer idling period. You are just wasting gas.

Also, I would find another mechanic.

Mike

#8 ·
Good lord I need to stop spending time here.

Let's assume, since you said school, that you mean high school. Let's also assume that you are the minimum age to drive, 16.

I am going to hope that English in not your primary language.

Your post is nearly impossible to follow and you do not really have a clear question.

The crank? That is slang for crankshaft, but I am sure you do not mean that.

Do you mean.....After my car sat for a weak I had a little difficulty starting it. It seemed to turn over slowly, but I think this might be normal since my car sat for an extended amount of time. (in my experience it has acted this way before)

I pulled the EFI fuse so the car would not start due to lack of fuel. I did this so the oil pump would turn and send oil to the top end of the engine to help with wear due to the oil draining back down to the bottom of the engine during the week the car sat.

I suppose your "mechanic's" recommendation to let it idle was to A) help top end oil pressure....Lol, or B) helping your battery charge back up due to the aforementioned "crank"

Either way I am presented with a conundrum. You are either thinking way too much or not enough.

#9 ·
What part of that was confusing? No one else seemed to have any trouble understanding. Yes he obviously meant the crankshaft, crank which is not a "slang" term but a shortened term just like cam is to camshaft.

#10 ·
Gonna start my '90 in the next few days it has not run for about 3 months, I won't do anything at all except hook up the battery and turn the key. I second the notion that if a mechanic is telling you to idle the engine for 30 minutes time to find another mechanic.

#11 ·
If a car was going to sit longer than about 2 weeks, I would put a battery tender on it or disconnect the battery. Other than that, its just a normal start up to about 3 months or so.

-Charlie

#12 ·
Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery for long haul storing. Also add a fuel stabilizer (like Sta-Bil Storage) which I did for the first time this winter.

But from my experince in storing over 3 winter months while keeping the battery connected, my Toyotas always started right up with full battery power. I did probably warm them up once or twice during that period.

#13 ·
It's common for my car to sit for 7-8 days. Never had an issue. I like to walk or use my 10-speed as much as I can.

I don't get the 30 min of idling either. That's just ridiculous. @cd8000 there are many people right here who can help you care for your car for free. We all own Gen2s. Your mechanic comes from a parallel universe I think, where the Stirling engine prevail :lol:

#22 ·
well, unfortunate but totally understand your reasoning. have another gen 2 in mind in your future? luckily you guys over there don't have rust to deal with so its still a feasible option.

maybe an i4 5 speed?

#23 ·
Not really. Over here most of the gen 2 are super beat up. High miles like 200k plus. Also they look like junk. A heck lot worse than mines.

I got myself a 94 camry 4 cyl. Clean condition with 200k miles and a older grandpa kinda of guy I got it from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.