Toyota Nation Forum banner

Ive never hated a car so much. (88 camry)

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  66conv6 
#1 ·
Holy crap what a slow, uncomfortable, and rusty turd of a car...

Anyhow I do have a question.

Lately Ive been having an issue with the car starting off in 2nd gear, but when shifted manually 1st gear engages and holds without slipping.

Can anyone tell me how to pull the DTC's on this POS?

Is there a way to short the diag connector and get the check engine light to flash codes?

Thanks folks.

#5 ·
^^ agree

Protip: You can't buy a 25+ year old car and call it a piece of shit. It's the previous owners that where pieces of shit to let it go, and now here you are with a $900 car that you hate. I can tell you have little to no experience with other cars to know the difference between a good and bad car...

Reactions: thedeadhp
#6 ·
Gee my 91 Camry is a quarter century old, has rust, needed some work, and can't keep up with newer vehicles. what a piece of crap, why didn't Toyota make all the parts last forever with no maintenance and design it like they do cars today?

Can't help much with ranting. Need to know engine/transmission type (electronic or hydraulic) to even start beyond checking fluid. Otherwise it's an older car. If it's slow and uncomfortable it's the fault of bad maintenance or buying a tired car, they were one of the better options in their time and still are very competent vehicles today for an owner that cares enough to maintain them. Even the under powered and over weight A/T equipped All-Tracs still have enough power to safely merge, pass, and pull out when well maintained. Every time you pick up an older vehicle it's a risk.

#7 ·
I have no idea why anyone would consider a gen2 Camry uncomfortable. I've owned or driven every generation of Camry and the gen2 has the best seats and the best ride out of all of them. If the struts were still available from Toyota I would buy a few sets but sadly no we are stuck putting in Monroe or KYB.

Reactions: thedeadhp
#8 ·
You have a terrific username, "Runs sand Drives, needs battery", how much did you pay for the Camry? Some info would help us determine the issue.

For checking codes theres this:
http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/toyota-camry-celica-corolla-mr2/

If you find the car uncomfortable I suggest that you try on some different tires, maybe re-new suspension bits, stuff like that.

Any old pos can be made into something decent with a few junkyard trips.

#11 ·
IIRC Toyota's are known as cars that will run forever. To some people that interprets as, "do nothing and the car will run for years." The last two I have owned were neglected but with some wrenching and cleaning they have been brought back to life.

To see how worn out that motor is, perform a compression check. A local mechanic can probably do it for a small fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.