Toyota Nation Forum banner

Smoke on battery terminal.

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  84Cressida 
#1 ·
Leaving work, started car and battery lost power to the whole car right as the shoulder belts were cycling down to me. Went out to look at the battery and notice litttle bitty smoke coming from the positive terminal. Connection was tight and the car started up fine after that and no smoke. Any ideas what could've happened? Should I replace the battery terminal?

See less See more
#2 ·
Why is there a felt type washer under the terminal? That can't be there it will prevent the terminal from sitting flat on the battery and making proper connection. The terminal itself doesn't look too bad I've seen worse but the top looks a bit bent.

You could try soaking the terminal in water/baking soda (after removing that coating/grease) to see how it comes out, not sure what product is being sprayed on the terminal but it might not be the best thing for the job. Use either dielectric grease or something like Fluid Film is good. New terminal 90982-05040 is about $28 at the dealer well worth the money the generic terminals are absolute crap in my experience.

Also use a battery post cleaner even if you think the post looks fine.

#4 ·
Definitely remove the felt. The terminal needs to sit flat on the battery so it compresses properly around post. I've seen that red type spray before whatever it is I've found it dries out and seems to cause more problems than it solves.

#5 ·
I've used the felt on the terminals of our 87 and 88 Camrys with no issues. Doesn't sound like the terminals are snug enough. I've replaced that terminal for just a few dollars at Walmart with no issues. Can also go to any auto parts store. It'll look just like the Toyota one. Important part is that you have good snug connections. That vertical nut and bolt should be tight, I'll suggest it isn't and that was your problem. Also there are some big fuses in a little black box right next to that connection. Pry the cap off and check they are snug and no corrosion--it's probably fine though.

#6 ·
That felt thing is suppose to prevent corrosion but in the end it start to look at nasty like that as it get old.

As far as I know, those powdery dust should not get corroded unless the battery post is leaking a bit. I've been working on my cars for close to 10 years. I never used those felt materials and no spray. I just make sure the contacts are clean and battery post are clean by using a wire brush. Never had to use the red spray or those felt thing, but some people swear by them.

#9 ·
I'd second the terminals. If you do get the terminals, get close to OEM as possible. I've had my friends get the cheap generic Walmart ones that are a solid block of....metal (thick wishbone like one). the screw always tend to strip out some way or the other or terminal is all funky after the first or second install. I don't think the OEM one should cost more than $30. My 1998 negative was about $20, but i know the positive side usually cost more.

#8 ·
Cleaning the posts is the best way to ensure maximum capacity out of the battery.

The posts on my car are getting too small for the post connector from years of cleaning. This year I popped that little black spacer out from the positive clamp so it would not move.

Di-electric grease is available in little sugar pack sizes at some auto parts counters. I use a screwdriver to spread the grease on the terminal, then attach the post clamp and slick some more over the post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.