Camry 1990 still overheating - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st & 2nd Generation (1983–1986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Angry Camry 1990 still overheating

I have this 1990 Camry, now 89000 mi. It overheated and had the gaskets, some hoses, water pump, thermostat replaced. Radiator and water system were flushed.
Car runs fine, nevertheless going up the hill for 2 or 3 minutes the temperature gauge starts climbing up to 3/4 (well above central position) and stays high or goes even hgher (I stopped before the red mark) untill road goes flat or down. I´m worried about this situation and refused the repair from the dealer... He says there is no problem if the pointer goes a bit higher than the central position... but I do not fully trust that, thinking I´ll have another major repair when driving up the road for 10 minutes or more.
Does anyone have an opinion about this "above central indication temperature gauge"?
Thanks a lot Camry users.
Ticoman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Try getting a new radiator cap.

-Charlie

03 WRX Wagon 5spd
89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
88 Camry Alltrac LE 5spd - blown motor
Previous: 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX
Camry Parts FS
#3 Old 03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Official TN member

Maybe you got a bad thermostat. We all hate to think about it, but the first water pump I ever put in (and only one so far - this was last week) was bad and would not turn under load. You get a bad part once in a while - just a thought.

And what the last person said about new radiator cap - it is true. If your cap doesn't keep the pressure in the radiator (cooling system too) above atmospheric pressure - then the boiling point of your coolant lowers considerably. Plus, when everything cools back down, a good cap would cause you to have an airtight container so that the cooling fluid would draw in some of the fluid that was sent to the reservoir when it got hot and expanded - this would leave no air space in the radiator. If your cap does not work correctly, the air space would be there and when you next ran your car that space would be subjected to steam (much worse than heated coolant) until the coolant actually expanded enough to fill that space. I had an old man who owns a local radiator shop once tell me that if you start with a good radiator, maintain good/regular coolant flushes/changes with the right stuff, and always change your radiator cap when it even begins to fail, that your radiator would last you the life of your car (barring any trauma to it of course). Take care and God Bless.
#4 Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
EBR
New TN User

Canada

If it is a V-6 it is possible to intsall the headgaskets onn the wrong sides and this will give you an over heating problem. The gaskets fit both sides, but only one bank has the cut out for the cooling passage. Hopefully they were installed correctly. Just a thought seing as the gaskets were just done. PM me if you need any further questions.

Toyota Tech 11 years and counting...In the trade 18 years.

Current ride...02 Echo
Future ride...Idea scrapped...Selling all the parts I collected
#5 Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Official TN Member

Have you cleaned the exterior fins of the radiator of crud and debris?

Gary

Don't worry about what other people think....as most of them don't!
#6 Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
JUST RE ENGINEER IT

this is simple, just think of the radiator as a heat exchanger, the motor makes the heat and the radiator gets rid of it by going forward or fans pushing air through it and the thermostat regulates water flow according to its temp, more common sense, now if you start to work the motor harder, it makes more heat, the thermostat opens a little more and the radiator has more heat to get rid of, the gage might go up slightly during this period but not very much. Now this is what can go wrong, the radiator can become clogged, it will get cold spots in it that can be found with your hand, now it cant get rid of the added heat of going up a hill and you must unload the motor to let the radiator bleed off the added heat or the thermostat is not opening up more to let the hotter water flow faster, a radiator with dirty fins can do the same thing, but the biggest problem by far is the coolant itself, you can loose it from a leak, turn to ice and not flow all the way through the radiator, or get air bubbles in it from compression leak inside the motor, if your not adding coolant, that rules out the biggest problem, the other 2 are easy to isolate

#7 Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
One with the force

Maybe the radiator is actually clogged and worn out, have it tested. And Maybe Add an oil cooler? Theyre not too expensive.
#8 Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Pabloso

Do Your Fans Work ?
#9 Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
European Union Camry 1990 still overheating

Many thanks for taking the time for your replies...
Here some more details about the handling of this problem. Engine is a V4, 2 litter
Radiator cap... yes.. was the first part to be changed even before the gaskets.
Thermostat... As I returned the car to the shop, was changed again. a week after the major repair.
Radiator, could not detect leaks... but when the car was loosing water in the cooling system I added 3 or 4 times common water... Could this built up
carbonates inside the pipes?
Thanks
ticoman.

#10 Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredk
Now this is what can go wrong, the radiator can become clogged, it will get cold spots in it that can be found with your hand,
Wow. I know you mean well, but that is really, really dangerous advice. I think what you probably mean is that you can hold your hand OVER the radiator from the front and feel that it is cold, but I could very easily see someone taking your advice literally and touching the radiator, which can seriously burn you (especially if the car is overheating). Even worse, someone might try to touch the radiator from the inside of the engine bay while the electric fans are not running, and have the fans turn on while their hand is in there.

A more appropriate solution would be to use a laser thermometer to detect for hot/cold spots.

As for the original overheating problem...

If you are overheating while climbing a hill, there are a few places to look to narrow your problem down.

Does it overheat at stoplights? When you are going up a hill, are you talking about hills on the highway, or do you typically loose speed as you go up them?

There are two things off the top of my head that I can think of to test to find your problem.
First, you can remove the thermostat temporarily. This will let you know if the Tstat is sticking closed, or if it there is another problem. Don't leave it out though.

The second thing I would check is the temperature of the front of the radiator when the car is overheating. Compare it to the temperature of the upper and lower hoses. Do this with a laser thermometer. I can't remember them being expensive when I got mine.

These will give you an idea if the problem is in the flow of coolant or the effectiveness of the radiator.

01 BMW 330Ci - 5spd / 93 BMW 525i 5spd-SOLD/ 98 Camry LE

#11 Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
JUST RE ENGINEER IT

im pretty sure the guy has enough sense not to keep his hand on it long enough to get burned, ive been checking radiators like this for nearly 30 years and the fan is a bigger danger than getting burned

#12 Old 03-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Kep
One with the force

Since you aren't noticing a coolant loss I don't know if you would have an exhaust leak into the cooling system. However, there is a block leak testing fluid that you can add to the coolant which will determine if there is an exhaust leak into the coolant (it changes color from blue to yellow if it is exposed to exhuast gasses. I don't know if you can get it easily or if you need to have a mechanic do it.

Are Camry's prone to have air blocks in the system? If so a mechanic can put a vacuum to the radiator to draw out any air.

Kep
Kep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (1983–1986 & 1987-1991)