Toyota Nation Forum banner

3 warning lights this morning

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Richard8655 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. '90 Camry here.

This morning during a cold rain, getting 3 dash warning lights at start up: Brake, Charge, and Lights. Checked brake fluid level and it's fine (just below max). Brake pedal pressure feels normal when moving the car. Parking brake hasn't been functioning for a long time (snapped cable). Checked all exterior bulbs and none are out. Battery is only 2 years old.

This particular combination of warning lights seems strange. Maybe dampness playing havoc with electrical system?

Update: Did some searching on the board (should have done this first). I used cruise control at highway speeds extensively yesterday for the first time in a long while. Apparently, there's a relationship between the cruise control, braking system, and some of these warning lights. Might not be the case here but adds to possibility.

#5 ·
If it winds up being the alternator I'd consider shopping around locally for a rebuild but I think Charlie (white90dx) has a few used ones he could sell you, or RockAuto has Denso rebuilds for a pretty hard to beat price but I don't think anyone has tried them yet.

#16 ·
Meant many thanks on the alternator shopping advise. Rockauto is usually excellent. There are so many reports of rebuilt alternator failures (as per keithk), it's almost a roulette spin with all the brands. I see Duralast from Autozone and Carquest from Advance Auto.

#8 ·
Thanks all again. Got back from CarX for free diagnosis. Their meter said alt is charging ok but battery shows 40% indicating needing charge. Was asked if I left a door partially opened all night where an interior light might slow drain the battery. If not, was advised the battery might be slowing going.

But I don't know, these do seem to be alt symptoms. Per Phil will check alt belt function and tension.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought an alternator from a scrapyard a couple of years ago. When it works, like 95% of the time, it's very strong. But sometimes it will stop charging for no reason and when it does I blip the throttle and it comes back to life. I wish I knew what's wrong with it, new OEM brushes and cleaning the contacts inside did nothing. So what I mean is there's definitely something wrong with it but a shop would not see it unless it did its thing during the test. Most times it's perfectly fine.

#11 · (Edited)
Interesting you mentioned this experience. I took the '90 to the local Toyota dealer this afternoon for a battery and electrical system test (no charge, nice of them). They reported the battery is ok and alternator is also working ok putting out 35 amps. But they warned failing alternators can charge intermittently and to keep an eye out for dash warning lights.

(BTW, while waiting for the service write-up in the service bay area, a small crowd of employees flocked around the car looking it over like a museum piece. One came over to me and said he'd never seen such a Toyota model in his life and was amazed. Interesting situation!)

#12 ·
That's what happened (the charge, brake and lights warning lights all came on on the dash) when the alternator was going out. I bought a rebuilt one from Auto zone and it was bad right out of the box and I have replaced it under warranty for at least 3 other times already.

#14 ·
Thanks, great information and confirms alternator (as others also above). I'm going to mentally note when those 3 lights come on, the gen2 Camry is trying to tell you the alternator is going or gone. But it was that combination of lights that threw me and had me on a goose chase for brake issues and light bulb outages.

i get that when i stop at my "local" toyota dealership to buy oil filters and other parts in my '87 4runner, although they do know what it is. i suppose i could make the next trip in my '89 camry to see what the reaction is.
Yes, take the '89 Camry in next time. For some reason that second gen style and look always draws looks and comments at the dealership, especially if it's a wagon.

#15 ·
I'd imagine if I pulled my car into the service bay they'd wonder how a pile of crap got lost on it's way to the trade in corral :lol: Kind of intrigued what kind of reaction I get when I take the 93 in after winter is over for some PDR and rust repair though.

#17 ·
If you buy a new alternator get the Denso 210-0104. But before you do that pull the metal cover/shield off the alternator and take a look at the brushes they cheap and easy to replace.

#22 ·
The brushes are probably just worn enough to not work when cold and start to work when warmer. There may be some other problem inside, but that's likely it. The lights are triggered whenever the alternator can't output at least some power to the battery/electrical system.

It happened to me back in '00 or so... new brushes and I was back on my way for another 40 or 50k miles until I crashed that Camry.

-Charlie

#23 · (Edited)
My alternator replacement went well (not a mechanic here). One thing I noticed was that at initial startup, the engine struggled. After about the 3th cranking it started and slowly came up to a smooth idle. Ever since it's been idling and driving smoothly. I checked belt tension, electrical connections, and overall install and everything looks good.

I'm wondering why the initial struggle? Alternator bearings needed lubrication for a few seconds break-in? A couple hours with no power affected the fuel pump? (the pulley didn't spin easily before install) Might be unrelated with the engine not started and car sidelined for many days in fairly cold weather.

#24 ·
Might be unrelated with the engine not started and car sidelined for many days in fairly cold weather.
Cold engine, unpowered/reset ECU, fuel system at low pressure, etc. It is normal to take a few cranks to get it going if it has been stopped for a while.

-Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.