Toyota Nation Forum banner

1990 Camry Brake Problem

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Gary_602Z 
#1 ·
Several weeks ago I started working on the brakes because the pedal travel was excessive. I replaced the master cylinder, front pads, power booster and checked the rear shoes (OK). The brakes have been bled multiple times. At the moment, I still have excessive travel and if I lightly press on the brake pedal, it slowly goes toward the floor. If I press on it hard, it doesn't move. What gives? Did I get a bad master cylinder? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
If you purchased rebuild master cylinder, it could be inferior quality. This have had happened to me in the past.What was the reason to change a brake booster? Note: the brake bleeding order:
right rear
left rear
right front
left front wheels.

#3 · (Edited)
1. Master cylinder may need to be bled. Its gotta be bled differently from the wheels and bleeding wheels has little effect if master needs to be bled.

2. Worn rotors are a possibility, especially if they have a ridge on the outside. You might think this would have no effect on pedal height or feel, i used to, but doing brakes on some cars at work taught me differently.

#4 ·
marc780 said:
1. Master cylinder may need to be bled. Its gotta be bled differently from the wheels and bleeding wheels has little effect if master needs to be bled.

2. Worn rotors are a possibility, especially if they have a ridge on the outside. You might think this would have no effect on pedal height or feel, i used to, but doing brakes on some cars at work taught me differently.
My girlfriend has a car with the exact same problem as the poster of this message. She has even bought one of the overpriced Toyota master cylinders $200 and a proportion valve $200 with no success.

How do you bleed the master cylinder? Also will someone look at me funny if I ask them if they bled the master cylinder because I have never heard of this.

#5 ·
I don't know what everyone else's experience on here is, but on my wife's 1990 V6 Camry (and a 1991 chevy Lumina and a 1980 Ford Fairmont to name a few others) when I have had to empty the master cylinder during repairs or replaced a master cylinder, I have always just filled it and bled the master cylinder as part of the brakes - getting the air out by most of it coming to the top in the master cylinder and the remainder bleeding out at the wheels when I bleed them - and never have had a problem with them.

#8 ·
Doctor J said:
Most manuals suggest to bench bleed master brake cylinder prior to the installation. On some cars, it is often not necessary to bleed all four wheels after bench bleeding the master cylinder.
But how would you know that they would not have to be bled unless you bleed them? I have seen some cars that might have one corner that has a little air in it. I bleed them all and enough to get all of the old fluid out of the system.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.