Toyota Nation Forum banner

87 Camry eletrical problems

679 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  white90dx 
#1 · (Edited)
I need some advice it is a 1987 Toyota Camry engine is a 3S-FE DOHC automatic transmission around two hundred and twenty thousand miles replace the water pump timing belt brakes brake cylinder I've done the parking brake switch twice routine tuneups maintenance tires someone has done a lot of aftermarket Wiring on it it looks like it was wired so it could be towed behind an RV there's an aftermarket stereo and so the wiring is what's throwing me off I couldn't be a ground somewhere I got an 87 Camry instrument panel don't light up but accessory lights do the tail lights don't come on but the brake lights do I replace the brake switch twice there's been an after-market alarm system put on the car there is no dimmer switch for the instrument panel I replace that I just need to know what I'm missing the relays are working for the tail lights and brake lights I just don't know what I'm missing ive done the brake switch twice could it be that again

#2 ·
As far as the tail lights, I would check the loom of wires inside the trunk, by the driver's side trunk hinge. Open up that loom and check for frayed or broken wires. This is a common problem area on most Camrys as they age. All the flexing those wires are exposed to as the trunk is constantly opened and closed over the years can cause problems. Note the color of the wires leading to the tail lights and really inspect those carefully.

Mike

#4 ·
thank you again Mike I ran a hotline from the fuse box back to the tail light and still no tail light brake light but no tail light and the wire was hot it sparked when I text you and I'm wondering if this could be a ground issue maybe something is not grounded correctly are good enough anything you can throw my way would be helpful thank you

#5 ·
Complete sentences will help. I can't follow what you are saying!

Do the parking lights in the front work (corner lights near the headlights)?

Is the "Rear Lights" warning light illuminated on the dash?

If the brake lights work, the brake light switch is working. Not sure why you would replace the brake light switch twice to try to fix a parking light problem.

-Charlie

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.