best locations for jack stands? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)

1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jtu100's Photo Gallery
best locations for jack stands?

In the service manual it only shows 6 places to jack the car:

4 on the edge
2 centre front/back

But in pictures of people doing work on the cars I always see jack stands placed under the engine, somewhere around the axels etc

What are the good positions for placing jack stands at the front and back of SV21 wagon?

Or is the service manual correct - I should place them along the edge, at the same place I would use the scissor jack for a blown tyre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pochacco Owns Me

Gameroom cash: $534495
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View atobe's Photo Gallery
i usually put the jack in the middle in the rear where it shows and get it high enough to put jack stands on the side in the rear where it shows also.. and then release the jack

Quantum mechanics - the dreams that stuff is made of.
atobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grenaded piston

View 88 LE's Photo Gallery
I use the frame rails underneath the car. They run pretty much the entire length of the car and theres one on each side of the car.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View drugal's Photo Gallery
If you put jack stands at the points where you use the scissor jack, be careful when lowering it onto stands with narrow supports like 88 LE's picture. Chances are, you'll mangle and munch up the metal that the scissor jack slides into. I use stands there with a larger support area, ~3x3 inches and its held up ok. Don't squish the fuel/brake lines under the driver's door.

I would follow the service manual. I once watched a mechanic try to jack my old Camry up from the bottom of the ball joints/control arms. I wanted to throw something at him. :P
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grenaded piston

View 88 LE's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugal
If you put jack stands at the points where you use the scissor jack, be careful when lowering it onto stands with narrow supports like 88 LE's picture. Chances are, you'll mangle and munch up the metal that the scissor jack slides into.
Thats why I use the frame rails. I've seen to many Toyotas where the metal piece the scissor jack slides onto is smashed to shit, because some idiot used a floor jack on those spots.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View OBwan's Photo Gallery
If you use a floor jack, go to a sports store and buy a hockey puck. It makes a great cusion for the jack.
OBwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View SilverSportNOLA's Photo Gallery
I haven't put the Camry on jackstands yet, maybe this weekend to inspect the passenger side suspension damage. But on my VW the frame rails are bent badly from mechanics, and the fuel lines run in them. The place where the jack goes is tough, but as mentioned above, be careful not to bend them. I cut out a few pieces of 2x4 a few inches long and cut a groove along the center to put the pinch weld into, so it bottoms on the bottom of the pinch weld and the top surface touches the floorpan and rocker support. Keeps the pinch weld from bending, and keeps the frame rail from denting any more than it is.
SilverSportNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $268300
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View zppeacock's Photo Gallery
I hate to bump this but on my 1990 camry wagon the rockers are about totally gone and are to week to hold the sizzor jack. Are the other 2 spots the same as the sedan?
zppeacock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View namiam's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugal View Post
I would follow the service manual. I once watched a mechanic try to jack my old Camry up from the bottom of the ball joints/control arms. I wanted to throw something at him. :P
I thought I read some posts that it would be fine to support at the control arm?

Also, in 88 LE's pic, a hockey puck / jack pad is recommended between the frame shown and the stand, correcto?
namiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)