Toyota Nation Forum banner

Performance enhancements for a camry 84?

954 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  WVcamry3sfe 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

So I was wondering how could I improve acceleration on my Camry 84' ? It's completely stock and has about 200,000k on it so i'm looking for relatively cheap performance enhancements if possible... Also is it possible to improve response time on the pedal (IE when i put the foot down its really pretty shit to accelerate... it is only a 4 cylinder engine after all)

Cheers
Tom

#4 · (Edited)
a general tune up is the way to go. check your spark plugs, compression, and everything like that. also, if you want to gain some HP, hollow out your cat. but it is illegal to do that, but its not something a cop would notice, so it wont matter. your car is so old now anyhow, that the cat probably doesnt do anything for the environment anyhow.

#5 · (Edited)
WVcamry3sfe said:
a general tune up is the way to go. check your spark plugs, compression, and everything like that. also, if you want to gain some HP, hollow out your cat. but it is illegal to do that, but its not something a cop would notice, so it wont matter. your car is so old now anyhow, that the cat probably doesnt do anything for the environment anyhow.
Are there any 'performance' cats available? (PS I assume you are refering to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter ) I would rather have a working one because that's just the kind of person I am :p

#6 ·
there isn't too much generic stuff . . .

get a muffler, I would suggest magnaflow for a good sound that isn't all fart can and such.

Other than that . . . without opening up the motor there isn't too much else.
You could get busy with a die grinder . . . :D

#7 ·
there are high flow cats that will work. all would of course be a custom application, so it will take some doing. Which the amount of performance gain you'd get from switching, it wouldn't be worth the money. A metallic core high flow cat will be expensive. A ceramic will be less expensive. The metallic core will give you better flow than the ceramic. Just find a converter with 2.25 inch inlet and outlet. and you will be able to fit it on the line of your exhaust piping without too much problem.

As far as not wanting to pollute the environ, I understand you on that. But, you probably are already polluting the environment just as much as if you had NO cat on right NOW at all because your converter is already very old. The catalyst eventually loses its effectiveness over the years. and being that your car is so old, it would be cheapest, and wouldnt effect the environ any more than you already are with an old car, to just hollow out the cat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.