HELP..!..Sunroof...Moonroof Repair GEN2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)

1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
I got parts aoktoyota.com

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View malayan's Photo Gallery
2nd Generation HELP..!..Sunroof...No Takers Huh?..That's RARE!

Two days after I got a 90 Camry trade in the sunroof stopped working.

I can hear the motor going back and forth but no movement.

I can push it back and forth with my hand from the inside.

After reading for an hour on (very old) posts I figure the cable ends ??

Any help would be great

I am very good mechanically and I have a nice Toyota Service Center manual and plan to do the following. Pics Included
  1. Pull the roof switch Cover to expose the manual control (if the cables are not broken this can help to at least get it closed. Use Large Screwdriver)
  2. Check that the cables still move in the side tracks
  3. Remove the front part of the headliner to expose hidden screws.
  4. Make sure that the DRAIN WORKS (you will find the drain hose end in the trunk both side wheel well. Sprinkle water at REAR of where the sunroof molds in the roof and check that it comes out he drain tube. If it does not>>> clean out drain tube. Start by blowing air backwards through the tube and vaccum any debris from around sunroof)
  5. Remove glass and track to possibly reweld broken piece to cable end..
or Find a working replacement track and cable from wrecking yard.

Car has only 133k and is in mint condition so I figure it is worth fixing right

I WILL EDIT W MORE PICS....

Last edited by malayan; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Pics
malayan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bullitprooph

View TBayToyotaBoy's Photo Gallery
If you can move it by hand but the motor will not engage the roof, the cables are both broken. Just call around to wreckers for replacement parts.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
I got parts aoktoyota.com

View malayan's Photo Gallery
OK Thanks. I will Do that and probably get the whole mechanism and just install the glass on it.

If you want a detailed step by step how to just PM me.

Last edited by malayan; 10-17-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add pics
malayan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bullitprooph

Man, I really need to get one of those TSM's. The Haynes just doesn't cut it! Those diagrams and instructions would save a LOT of time...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
1990 Celica gt

View Knix's Photo Gallery
I am working on my sons 90 celica too. We bought it in april with the sun roof working, then mid summer it quit its stuck part way open. We took out the controls/motor, and the sun roof wont move,

In the earlier post it mentions that you should be able to move the sunroof when the motor is OUT. Since ours wont move, WHAT does that mean, (when motor was in the roof would move 3 inches back and forth then motor hum and clicking with no roof movement.)

I thought we needed new little gear so I bought a replacement motor/gear off a 90 camry but the electrical is all wrong to easily swap motors out, I can probably rewire the connections to fit.

Motor coming out of roof is 85730-20070 /16200(two worn spots)0031
New motor purchased 85730-20020 /16200-08229

Any one know if those two are compatible?, the wiring is a bit different, but, red to red, green to green etc looks like i could wire it up,

So i guess I had two questions

thankyou

Knix
Knix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
1990 Celica gt

Arrow

In looking the two motors over, the celica had two sensors on it and the camary only had one sensor. So I figured there was no way I could rewire it.

So I opened the Celica gears, One of the nylon gears had a flat top, meaning, totally stripped in one area, so I opened the camary motor, sure enough, the gear in that one was beautiful, and a match.

I swaped them out, installed it, its working good, but,, man the motor has to work really hard to pull the roof around. I am guessing that means i need new tracks or something. I am on my way out to see if i can wash out the tracks now that i can at least get the roof out of a frozen position. Right now Its tipped up in back so i think i can rinse something from that position. If I cant fix it, I think I will just close it and unplug it. Its winter here in oregon and that means R A I N, in buckets. /drown.

thanks for listening

Knix
Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bullitprooph

Hey Knix, it's dimly possible that one of the shims has come loose and has jammed the sunroof on the track. Take care trying to pry it loose. You may want to remove the head liner so that you can see a little better.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View toolmantim's Photo Gallery
need your help

can you please send me the pictures and instructions for putting my sunroof back together, i took it apart about a year ago and have no clue how all those parts go back on. mine is a 89 camry.

to send it to my email would be the best, it is
toolmantim@yahoo.com

thanks alot
Tim

If you want a detailed step by step how to just PM me.

toolmantim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
1990 Celica gt

Celica/Camry sunroof info

I am still working on my sunroof. Just reopened the project yesterday with sucess, so far. I took my sunroof out of the car because I couldnt get it to tilt up to move into a position where I could work on in inside the car.

I found some great information here and on Celica tech webpage. I dont want to break rules and give links to other websites, but there are some REALLY good step by step pictures and helpful info. I have the haynes manual that has the explode already, and I needed more detail on how to pull it apart.

My problem was old grease, my pullys were good. the old grease was like sticky glue in tracs. (possibly the guy who sold it to us put something in there to lube it so it went well, then it congealed). I also had to replace the little gear that turns the pullys. I was going to replace the whole motor, but instead at the time I could only find a different motor, and I stole the gear off of it. (I would suggest getting a like motor and not looking for one to change the gears on.-my nylong gears on the inside were
almost complety stripped and the small metal one just nubs).

http://web.archive.org/web/200408061...rial/index.php

I am going to put the links in my next post so that if they need to be deleted, this answer is still here.

good luck
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
1990 Celica gt

Links to other resouces for sun roof take apart

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/sunroof/

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...=sunroof+write
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)