Toyota Nation Forum banner

Air Flow Meter Adjustment

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jimnist 
#1 ·
There was a thread here about AFM adjustment which I cannot find now. I did that adjustment on the AFM, leaning it out 2 clicks clockwise. WOW!!!! What a difference. I could feel it right away....smoother idling and more pep on acceleration. I did not adjust the timing. I only adjusted the AFM. Great advice! Thanks. I have a 91 Camry with 210K on it.

#2 ·
The treath you're looking for is here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82158

Now, i got a couple of questions for you. What was the stock output on you're Camry, before adjusting the AFM ? Second question: did you have your output checked after making the change? If yes, how much was it?

I'm asking this, because the output for the 3S-FE varies from 115 to 140 horsepower. My car has 128 horsepower, stock and fuel economy has allways been good. So, maybe it's allready running pretty lean, compared to the engines, that respondet to the mod.

#3 ·
Thanx for your response. I had a friend help me out with this. He was interested in the changes if there were going to be any. My initial HP output was 118 HP. After the adjustment it went up to 124 HP....a slight increase. When I would stomp on the gas before, I had a momentary hesitation before acceleration began. Now the response is immediate. I have only been able to compare fuel economy with 2 fill ups, so that jury is still out. I went from 26MPG in town to 28MPG. On the Freeway with 2, 60 mile trips it went from 32MPG to 37 MPG. I have 210K on the engine and all my compression is pretty even... within 5 psi of each other. My compression was averaging about 160psi. The car does not burn oil.

#12 ·
The engine fuel mixture is set too rich. Leaning it out a little burns the fuel more efficiently. Leaning it too much starves the engine and it pings a little. Yours might not ping at all. I dont know how rich your fuel/air ratio is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.