Air Flow Meter Adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Air Flow Meter Adjustment

There was a thread here about AFM adjustment which I cannot find now. I did that adjustment on the AFM, leaning it out 2 clicks clockwise. WOW!!!! What a difference. I could feel it right away....smoother idling and more pep on acceleration. I did not adjust the timing. I only adjusted the AFM. Great advice! Thanks. I have a 91 Camry with 210K on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Official TN Member

The treath you're looking for is here:

3s, 2vz, 3vz free power, OH MY!

Now, i got a couple of questions for you. What was the stock output on you're Camry, before adjusting the AFM ? Second question: did you have your output checked after making the change? If yes, how much was it?

I'm asking this, because the output for the 3S-FE varies from 115 to 140 horsepower. My car has 128 horsepower, stock and fuel economy has allways been good. So, maybe it's allready running pretty lean, compared to the engines, that respondet to the mod.
#3 Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanx for your response. I had a friend help me out with this. He was interested in the changes if there were going to be any. My initial HP output was 118 HP. After the adjustment it went up to 124 HP....a slight increase. When I would stomp on the gas before, I had a momentary hesitation before acceleration began. Now the response is immediate. I have only been able to compare fuel economy with 2 fill ups, so that jury is still out. I went from 26MPG in town to 28MPG. On the Freeway with 2, 60 mile trips it went from 32MPG to 37 MPG. I have 210K on the engine and all my compression is pretty even... within 5 psi of each other. My compression was averaging about 160psi. The car does not burn oil.
#4 Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils Camry View Post
Thanx for your response. I had a friend help me out with this. He was interested in the changes if there were going to be any. My initial HP output was 118 HP. After the adjustment it went up to 124 HP....a slight increase. When I would stomp on the gas before, I had a momentary hesitation before acceleration began. Now the response is immediate. I have only been able to compare fuel economy with 2 fill ups, so that jury is still out. I went from 26MPG in town to 28MPG. On the Freeway with 2, 60 mile trips it went from 32MPG to 37 MPG. I have 210K on the engine and all my compression is pretty even... within 5 psi of each other. My compression was averaging about 160psi. The car does not burn oil.
I see. Thanks for the information. Unfortuneately it seems like i can spare myself the efford, since my car allready has 128 bhp. Anyway, thanks. Just the kind of information i was looking for.
#5 Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Official TN Member

what did you seal it back up with?
#6 Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils Camry View Post
I did this mod a few months ago also. It helped on the acceleration, but its still not a race car.

My compression is 195psi +-5. Ive got 237k
#7 Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I sealed the lid up with window sealing caulk. I just put a bead around it like the way it was originally. It doesnt make your car a race car, but it does improve performance.
#8 Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Official TN Member

2-3 clicks counter clockwise right?
#9 Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I only did 2 clockwise. When I tried more it made my engine ping.
#10 Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Official TN Member

I don't see how "leaning" out the engine can give you more power enough to make it ping

?
#11 Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregElliott View Post
I don't see how "leaning" out the engine can give you more power enough to make it ping

?
Obviously the engines, that respond to this mod. are running way to rich
#12 Old 10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The engine fuel mixture is set too rich. Leaning it out a little burns the fuel more efficiently. Leaning it too much starves the engine and it pings a little. Yours might not ping at all. I dont know how rich your fuel/air ratio is.
#13 Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 AM
セクシーの定義

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregElliott View Post

?
If it's already running at a good air to fuel mixture (not rich) and you allow even more air in, it raises the combustion chamber temperatures(due to oxygen). If it gets too hot, chamber heat alone can cause it to pre-detonate during the compression stroke (compressing air heats it up as well, that's why turbo cars have intercoolers). If you look at your spark plug, it will tell you a lot. Black/carbon is rich, dark tan/coffee is good. White means too lean. Not too familiar with cars and how they map it, but going off knowledge for jetting for dirt bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)