Toyota Nation Forum banner

My 89 All-Trac

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  2wickedtoyz 
#1 ·
About a year ago I bought a manual 89 All-Trac Camry with a blown head gasket for $100. The swap to a rebuilt ST185 3SGTE, transmission & rear diff is done & it's running great. I've had the windshield replaced & put on some new tires. I picked up a ST185 dual core radiator & air to water set up that I'll put in next weekend. Just waiting for the heat exchanger form a friend. Suspension is next on the list. Interior is in great shape but, I still will steam cleaning the seats. There is some paint fade on the hood & trunk so I plan on hitting pick n pull when it stops raining to replace them. Overall it was a great find & I haven't put a lot of money into it so far. I want to keep the car as stock looking as I can just to stay under the radar. The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to replace the steering wheel with something smaller without looking obvious. The car is a nice balance to my 85 MR2 & it's also the first 4 door car in our car family. I'm obviously far from done with the project though.

See less See more
#4 ·
Mega jealous right now, that's awesome! Is the all-trac a constant AWD system or can you select the drive modes to 2H and 4H? Maybe even a 2L or something?

Do you think you'll change it to a front mount intercooler?

#7 ·
Good job... Looks like it will be a nice inexpensive sleeper. The ST185 rear diff and Camry Alltrac rear diff are the same, so unless you put in an LSD diff (it was optional on the ST185), that didn't do much other than get you a a (possibly) lower mileage diff.

Make sure you replace that intercooler with something that gets cool airflow (probably a front mount intercooler). You should have room up front since you aren't running A/C. You can cut out underneath the front bumper to get more airflow without being obvious.

-Charlie

#11 ·
The ST185 rear diff and Camry Alltrac rear diff are the same, so unless you put in an LSD diff
Actually I do have Helical style LSD in it.

(probably a front mount intercooler).
I have a air to water set up from ST185 RC edition so I'll be using that.

And the wiring isn't as bad as some other cars (say, Subarus...).
2.5RS = easy wiring FTW!

Im assuming the 3SGTE is a RWD engine right?
You can swap a RWD MR2 3SGTE into a All-Trac AWD 3SGTE. The motors have some minor differences but, it's mainly just the transmission. :cool:

#9 ·
The mechanical aspect of the swap is very easy to get right if you start with a 5-speed Alltrac Camry... For FWD Camrys, it can be easy or hard depending on what you started with and what you want in the end. And the wiring isn't as bad as some other cars (say, Subarus...).

Its no Honda swap, but it isn't rocket science either. :thumbsup:

-Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.