Gear-Selector Position Indicator problems... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 AM
2.0ZX Driver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question Gear-Selector Position Indicator problems...

Hey there fellow Gen2 owners

My JDM camry has a gear-selector position indicator (see image below); but the "R", "N", "D", "PWR" and "O/D OFF" lights do not light up. I have checked the light globes and they are fine...I also fitted new globes just to be sure...but no luck.

So I went and got another one.
The same lights dont light up.

Any ideas whats causing this?

Last edited by darkrams69; 07-02-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
What about LOW and 2??? any lights on??
If all off , check for continuity between the body ground and white /black wire terminal on the panel connector
#3 Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 AM
2.0ZX Driver

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
What about LOW and 2??? any lights on??
If all off , check for continuity between the body ground and white /black wire terminal on the panel connector

Park, Low and 2 light up; but I will check for continuity between the body ground and the white/black wire this weekend
Thanks for the help

'92 JDM SV21 Camry 2.0ZX
'89 Australian SV21 Camry Executive Wagon
#4 Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
New TN User

I have an 89 camry and had the same problem with my indicator. Sometimes if I hit a bump just right one of the bulbs would turn off or on, it was really annoying. I was sure that it had to be a bad bulb or bad connection with the bulb. However, when I tore it all apart I discovered that the bulbs were good. It was actually bad solder connections where the connection goes straight through the circuit board to the other side. The connection looks like a little dot, where a trace ends, and continues through the circuit board to the flip-side of the circuit board, to continue to its destination. I discovered this when I was probing the circuit board with my test probe, when I touched one of these connections the bulb would light up and go out again when I stopped touching it. I also had a similair problem with the rear brake lights. All of the brake lights stopped working, the brake switch was good, and the "lights" indicator on the dash came on when I stepped on the brake to let me know I had a bulb out. I didn't realize that they had all stopped working until I decided to go change the burned bulb, I was driving around like that for about 2 weeks! I discovered that the problem was with the light failure sensor that is mounted in a little plastic box, drivers side in the trunk behind the covering. There were solder connections at the plug that had broke loose, this was easily fixed by reheating the solder to recreate the connection. I know another person that had the exact same problem with this on their camry.

So basically either you have another faulty indicator, or perhaps its a problem down at the shifter, or wherever it is that selects which bulbs to light up. Obviously you have power going to the indicator if some of the bulbs light up. Easiest thing to do is to check and make sure you have power coming out of the harness connector for each gear, the O/D switch, and pwr switch. If its good there then its the indicator. If you have a soldering iron you can repair it yourself.

~ Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)