ever wonder what happens when you cross battery cables? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)

1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View viktord1's Photo Gallery
ever wonder what happens when you cross battery cables?

Yes that is a thing that happened to me not too long ago. My battery was dead (girlfriend left the dome light on). It wasn't starting so I flagged down this guy that happened to be at my neighborhood to help me out. Without me knowing he crossed the jump cables on his side and when I went to start the car nothing happened. I tried a new battery but only the lights work and the door light on the dash comes on but that's it. I hate diagnosing electric problems and I was hoping someone here would chime in with an idea of what's wrong.

Gen2 FTMFW

Last edited by viktord1; 06-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
viktord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
First Toyo was '69 Corona

View RickF's Photo Gallery
Yikes!!

First I would check all the fuses. If you're lucky maybe a main fuse blew protecting the regulator/alternator. Hopefully the ECU is not toast.

2005 Camry 2.4L
2AZ-FE I4 2009 Camry 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $436755
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
Check the alternator fuse. It should be something like a 100 AMP fuse. You may have to unbolt the fuse box to change it. They are sometimes bolted in from the side with an 8MM hex head bolt that can only be removed by first lifting up the fuse box.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I'm really hoping the ECU isn't toast. If it is I'll likely sell the car for parts. What about the fuses that are right on the battery terminal. I forget what they were for but should I check those?

Gen2 FTMFW

Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $436755
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktord1 View Post
I'm really hoping the ECU isn't toast. If it is I'll likely sell the car for parts. What about the fuses that are right on the battery terminal. I forget what they were for but should I check those?
You need to check them all. The alternator fuse is most likely blown, but there could be others. Get a cheap digital volt/ohmeter and test them all, one by one. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gen 2 camry Guru

View Darwin686's Photo Gallery
2nd Generation blown ECU

Hey man if your ECU is blow you can get one cheap off of ebay. I did a few years ago because mine died a tragic death. Do check all of your fuses and circuit breakers first and see what you can come up with. Good luck.
Darwin686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View ross1's Photo Gallery
It's unlikely any fuses popped, they don't care which direction current flows.
You stand a good chance of having ruined the diodes of the voltage regulator. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the rest.
ross1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
It's unlikely any fuses popped, they don't care which direction current flows.
You stand a good chance of having ruined the diodes of the voltage regulator. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the rest.
That's what I figured as well. Immediately after it happened my car smelled like burnt electronics. Really sad to see this car go. I've had it since 2001 and it has been the most reliable transportation I ever had but oh well....time for a e36 bimmer

Gen2 FTMFW

Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View ross1's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktord1 View Post
That's what I figured as well. Immediately after it happened my car smelled like burnt electronics. Really sad to see this car go. I've had it since 2001 and it has been the most reliable transportation I ever had but oh well....time for a e36 bimmer
A toasted alternator(prob fixable with a new voltage reg.) is a pretty lame excuse to abandon the car but if there is a nice 3er in the future for you then by all means
ross1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
A toasted alternator(prob fixable with a new voltage reg.) is a pretty lame excuse to abandon the car but if there is a nice 3er in the future for you then by all means
It's not just that it doesn't run now. It needs new rotors, pads, shocks, control arm, and a bunch of misc things dont work such as power windows, door locks, door light on dash stays on (very annoying), etc etc. Too much time to spend working on a car that isn't very fun to drive IMO

Gen2 FTMFW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)