Toyota Nation Forum banner

Need help with removing rear bumper

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  '88 All-Trac 
#1 ·
This is about my SV21, 1990, Toyota Camry, Wagon,4 Cyl. I got hit from behind today. Fortunately only the bumper seems to be in problem. It is not even ruptured/torn. But it has “moved”. It already had been hit earlier, couple of times, but was about holding ok, though some connections were already looking to have given way. Now it definitely, visibly looks out of place/dislocated and needs replacement/adjustment. So can someone please tell me / point me to, how to dismantle the bumper? Once I do that I may replace it back properly or may replace it with one from a junk yard. I tried searching the forum but did not find very helpful info. Please help. Thanking in anticipation.

#2 ·
Remove the rear mud flaps (if equipped) and the small bolt that holds the front of the bumper skin to the body (inside the wheel well). Then you can remove the 2 large bolts on each side that hold the bumper itself - they are located inside the trunk on the floor under small plastic covers. That should do it...

Hopefully the chassis isn't bent. If it is, you will need professional help.

-Charlie

#3 ·
Thanks Charlie - White90dx
After lot of struggle I was able to get the bumper out. But in addition to the screws you mentioned I ended up removing 8 bolts which were holding the bumper skin to two “bracket” like things on the body. The bumper skin was attached to them by four blots each. The bolts were in extremely confined space and taking them off was a difficult task. Did I make a mistake in taking off those bolts? Is the bumper supposed to come off along with those two ”brackets”? It does not seem so because the brackets are solidly “stuck/attached” to the chassis.
Now my problem is that I am unable to put those bolts back in place. The space is extremely confined, aligning the holes and reaching with spanner or screw-driver and turning them is next to impossible. Is there any smarter way of fixing this bumper back? Something like taking those brackets off, attaching them to the bumper skin and then putting back the whole thing?
Please help. Thanking in anticipation.

#4 ·
Are the rear wheels in the way of these screws? We had to pull the wheels off my brother's Celica to get the rear mud flaps on, not much space to work in there... I also recommend you purchase a set of "stubby" screw drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.