1984 Camry Timing Belt - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st & 2nd Generation (1983–1986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1984 Camry Timing Belt

Hey All,

Recently bought a 1984 Camry Liftback LE with 48K on it. It was pictured in an earlier thread on the forum but she is a beauty from California.

Anyways, I don't think the timing belt has ever been done (28 years) so I am going to get it done asap as I am frightened its going to snap.

Any suggestions with a car this old with so few miles what I should have them replace while in there?

I was going to have them do:

Timing Belt
Drive Belts
Water Pump
All Pully's
Tensioners
Cam/Crank Seals

I was wondering if you even think if this is all necessary given the low mileage or if I should just do it all given the age.

Anyone done this recently have some prices they got quoted at?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
I can tell you that when I bought my 90 all trac I called a guy that owns a yard right next to my work. He's got about 10 or more all trac wagons and a couple random camry's/corolla's sitting there so I figured he'd be the person to talk to. Called him up since my Camry had a bad knock and he quoted me $2,000 (or more as he put it) from start to finish including ordering a master rebuild kit like what you're basically asking about at a dealer rate of $1250 plus his fee.

Then I joined here and low and behold, this guy was full of it! Ordered a master rebuild kit from Rock auto for $380/+ship and have the motor out of the car ready for everything.

I guess what i'm getting at is if you want to attempt this yourself it's not hard or expensive. There is PLENTY of info here to get everything done and like I found, many of the most knowledgeable members here will give you their phone numbers to walk you through any trouble you may have. And if you would rather have someone else do it anyway, maybe order your own kit so that's one less thing they can screw you on. Good luck!

1990 Camry All Trac 5 speed (Work in progress)
1990 Camry V6 (Sold)
1991 Camry 3s-fe auto (new parts car)
1989 Celica ST162 (Old parts car - CRUSHED)

... Insert other cars not Toyota here...
#3 Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback! I am considering doing it myself if I can get a 3 day weekend off with my father.

It encouraging to hear that it went so well for you. This would be my first timing belt if I decide to do it so I am a bit worried but DIY might be the way to go...
#4 Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Go to Rockauto.com and check this master rebuild out. P/N EK906M $340 plus shipping. Though there are other options to make it cheaper or more expensive depending on what you want. Just a belt is pretty cheap.

1990 Camry V6 (Sold)

#5 Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryAWD View Post
Go to Rockauto.com and check this master rebuild out. P/N EK906M $340 plus shipping. Though there are other options to make it cheaper or more expensive depending on what you want. Just a belt is pretty cheap.
He doesn't need a master rebuild kit... he just needs the parts he listed above. (no need for pistons, bearings, etc. on a low mileage motor).

The list in the first post seems complete for the front side of the motor.

-Charlie

03 WRX Wagon 5spd
89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
88 Camry Alltrac LE 5spd - blown motor
Previous: 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX
Camry Parts FS
#6 Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Yeah, but I was pointing out the fact of the pricing and showing him where to go and find the parts he needed. If he did pick up a master rebuild and didn't want to use everything he could have parts on hand if it ever came to that. When I first logged into this site I was looking for bearings. I wound up buying a complete rebuild kit instead. I figured it would be useful info as it was to me when I first got here.

1990 Camry V6 (Sold)

#7 Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Also here are the pics of her:

eBay : Mint 1984 LE Camry (Hatch)

Guy had a mint White '83 Cressida sitting the background of the first picture if you look.

Thanks both for your input on the timing belt. I will most likely skip the Master Rebuild this time around only because I have so few miles on her but that is a definite option around 110K when I replace the belt again. I drive this thing about 90 miles a day so the mileage is going to pile on quickly!

I'll let you know what I decide to do and how it turns out. If anyone has had this done at a mechanic I'd still be interested to know what you paid. I will most likely do it myself at this point though...
#8 Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh hey!

So your the lucky son of a gun who bought her

Just make sure you wash and wax the car and check for rust in the common locations. These color trim and the 5 door hatch are very very rare nowdays. Infact, The last 5 door hatch I've seen on these island was at lease several years ago, let alone another Gen1....which is usually once in a few months (not counting mines!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflsoriano View Post
Also here are the pics of her:

eBay : Mint 1984 LE Camry (Hatch)

Guy had a mint White '83 Cressida sitting the background of the first picture if you look.

Thanks both for your input on the timing belt. I will most likely skip the Master Rebuild this time around only because I have so few miles on her but that is a definite option around 110K when I replace the belt again. I drive this thing about 90 miles a day so the mileage is going to pile on quickly!

I'll let you know what I decide to do and how it turns out. If anyone has had this done at a mechanic I'd still be interested to know what you paid. I will most likely do it myself at this point though...

'85 Camry DLX 158K
'87 Cressida 78K
'07 Nissan Versa 63K SD (traded in)
'10 Nissan Versa 26K HB (traded in)
'04 Camry XLE V6 76K
#9 Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I am super lucky to have won her, was really pleased!

Did the timing belt, water pump, cam/crank/oil pump seals, now she is running like a champ!

Also got her all cleaned and waxed this weekend and man does she look great all cleaned up :-)

Nothing as satisfying as driving down the road and being asked 4-5 times a trip how old she is!

Thanks for everyone's input!

1984 Camry Liftback - 2S-E Auto - 52K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (1983–1986 & 1987-1991)