89 3SFE Auto camry swap problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2nd Generation 89 3SFE Auto camry swap problems

Where do I start with this one.

I have been working on an 89 Toyota Camry (Base) 3SFE Automatic for a while and have been having problems. This car belongs to a family member that was trying to fix it up for her Senior Project in highschool. The car had a terrible rod knock so we ripped the engine out and replaced pretty much everything. It got a brand new crank due to damage from the bad rod.

When it was time for me to put the engine back into the car I had a hell of a time getting the transmission and engine to come together. So I went around tightening all of the transmission to engine bolts hoping it would come together fine. WRONG. It snapped the transmission making it dump oil out of the back. So we got a used transmission from a junkyard that knew the transmission was working when it arrived. So I pulled the engine and transmission back out of the Camry and am trying to get the Engine and Transmission to come together properly. So far I am having a hell of a time. One thing I noticed is that I can not rotate the engine when I try to bolt the two together. I put a socket on the crank pulley and it will not budge unless I loosen the bolts that hold the transmission and engine together. When we got the auto tranny from the junkyard they pulled the torque converter out. I read on this forum that the torque converter needs to sit a very specific way otherwise it will break the transmission again. How do I have it set properly? Is this all that I need to put it together? What can I be missing that is making the engine refuse to rotate when it is put against the transmission. Please give me any guidance you have. This is my first time replacing an auto transmission. I really do not want to break another transmission.

Also, this transmission i picked up from the junkyard uses the CV axle that has 6 studs and nuts. The old one was just a splined type that shoves into the transmission. Do i just have to buy the other type of axle and it will be fine?

I think this covers everything, please let me know if you have any experience or knowledge that will help me out.

P.S. The engine and transmission are still outside of the car, so I can mess with them pretty easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Torque converter will go in wrong and will go in right. If you look down inside the input of the transmission, you should see two little nubs- try to align the two grooves on the torque converter with those nubs. The transmission should slide right up to the back of the engine without any real fussing.

Is the replacement transmission also from a 3SFE Camry? The bolt-on axles will work just fine with your current hubs if that's the case. If it's a V6 auto trans it'll give you issues in a bad way about going together right.

'88 Camry All-Trac DLX 5SFE 5-speed manual
'91 Camry base-model 3SFE 5-speed manual
'92 Geo Tracker 4x4
'78 Dodge LeisureCraft
'90 Ford Ranger 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to '88 All-Trac For This Useful Post:
PopsicleAsian (12-12-2012)
#3 Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
We got the replacement transmission out of another 3SFE camry.
I will separate the engine and transmission tomorrow and see if I can position the torque converter properly. Once I do that everything should go together fine right? or is there anything else I should watch for when trying to get these together?
#4 Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior TN Member

It should slide together just fine.

It's possible that the flex plates are different from year to year but I highly doubt that- Toyota is usually really good about that sort of thing.

I managed to blow the fluid pump in the transmission of my Tracker by torquing the bellhousing onto the engine when the torque converter wasn't seated properly.

Best of luck!

'92 Geo Tracker 4x4
'78 Dodge LeisureCraft
'90 Ford Ranger 4x4
#5 Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I THINK I have the Engine and Transmission together properly. I can rotate it with some work, but it is not extremely resistant. However for some reason the metal bellhousing plate thing seems bent to hell so one of the bolts that hold the drive plate and torque converter together seems to grind against the metal plate. Other than that the engine seems to rotate with the amount of resistance i would expect out of a fully rebuilt engine. I can put the drivetrain into the Camry now, but i was wondering if there is anything I should do about the metal plate getting hit by the bolts. It is bent where the starter sits. I don't know how it got so bad. Do you think this will be a problem? asides from the ugly noise, I believe it will rub and make the clearance after a while.

It was a pain in the butt to get torque converter to sit properly, but i'm pretty sure i have it now since i can still rotate the engine this time.

Thank you for helping me earlier '88 All-Trac. I was pretty stumped with the engines and transmission refusing to come together nicely.
#6 Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Senior TN Member

If the dent can be accessed with the transmission installed, I would use an extension and a deadblow hammer to knock it back out until the bolt heads clear it. It's possible that simply running it will eventually make enough clearance but it might also loosen the torque converter bolts, which can potentially cause severe damage to the transmission and the torque converter.

A fresh engine will have pretty healthy resistance to being turned by hand but will feel smooth, if that makes any sense- it will be really hard to push it passed the compression cycles but won't have any rough feeling to it. It sounds to me like yours is perfectly normal.

'92 Geo Tracker 4x4
'78 Dodge LeisureCraft
'90 Ford Ranger 4x4
#7 Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Take out the spark plugs so you can spin the motor more easily... Then you are only fighting valve springs for 'uneven' resistance to engine rotation.

-Charlie

03 WRX Wagon 5spd
89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
88 Camry Alltrac LE 5spd - blown motor
Previous: 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX
Camry Parts FS
#8 Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you used new bolts on the connecting rods??
#9 Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior TN Member

Have you used new bolts on the connecting rods??
#10 Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
We reused the bolts that the connecting rods had. We made sure to plastigauge everything to make sure it was in spec though.

So now i need some torque specs. I am having a hell of a time finding them in the book.

The Axle lock nut. Huge nut in the middle of the spindle
Tie rod to spindle castle nut.
Lower Ball joint to spindle

those are the only specs i think i need for now.
#11 Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Senior TN Member

Axle nut 130-139
Ball joint to steering knuckle (2 bolts) 85-90
It is highly recommended to use new bolts on connecting rod bearing caps and cylinder head
#12 Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
can anyone tell me some information to help me get the right nuts for the driver side drive axle? Since we had to get this tranny at a junkyard, we dont have the nuts to mount the axle to the transmission. What sort of information about these nuts do i need to know to mount it? Are they just normal nuts, or is there anything particularly different about them?
#13 Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior TN Member

12 mm M8 flanged nuts; no special locking features.
13mm M8 nuts may work
Torque 18 foot- pounds
#14 Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
i cant find the tq specs for the transmission housing to engine bolts. The 17mm and other ones. The book says to tq to spec, but i cant find it in the book.

The engine still isnt a fan of rotating, so im wanting to make sure that its not too tight or something odd.
#15 Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The engine makes a horrible noise when we rotate it. I took a video, please tell me what you think. Ive been trying to fix this camry for almost a year now, i just want it to work.
http://youtu.be/XpBsWt0t7xY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 1st & 2nd Generation (19831986 & 1987-1991)