Toyota Nation Forum banner

how to read check engine codes

818 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  60 toy ota 
#1 ·
1997 4 cyl camry, just swapped a rebuilt 3sfe in. Let it run in the driveway for 4 hours like JIS told me to, ran beautifully. changed the oil, filled it with gas and on the way home my engine light turned on. I've done searching and it seems like if i jump E1 and TE1 the light should blink and i can get the codes...just like on my other toyotas. Problem is...no blink. I jump the terminals and the light just stays steady. any ideas? Checker couldn't get any codes out of it either with their fancy computer. Tried both with engine on and off, engine warm.

FWIW, the engine didn't come with any mounts for the cam and crank sensors. For the crank I bought an oil pump with the sensor mount right from mr. T himself, and for the cam I took the timing cover plate off the 5sfe and fabbed my own "boss" for the sensor right onto it.

Anybody had their light not blink when they jump it? or am i going about this wrong? Thanks for help
-Drew

#2 ·
The jumper method is for OBD1 cars.

You need a way to communicate with the OBD2 computer. The cheapest way to do this is with an ELM 327 dongle and a smart phone/tablet with the Torque Free app. Less than 15$ on ebay/amazon.

Autozone/most auto parts chains will read codes for free as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.