Toyota Nation Forum banner

1992 Toyota Camry XLE (JT VIN) gone to LED Lights!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  guapoman2000 
#1 · (Edited)
Gals and Guys,

It has been a long journey at best I can explain here with my nagging rear tail brake lights. For months my friends informed me of the drivers rear brake light not functioning.

Always, disassemble the lens and inspect the bulbs and even use very fine sand paper to clean the socket contacts and presto the brake light works again. After a few weeks, once again my friends tell me of the same driver's side rear brake light not working and to my shock and surprise after lightly tapping it with my finger the dang light works again.:frown: Unbelievable, and I say to myself, "How many times do I have to disassemble these freaking lights to only work for a few weeks and then, stop functioning after a few weeks again.:crying:

Well, this long weekend I took matters in my own hands and work like a devil to get to the bottom of the reason(s) why I am having so many freaking problems.>:D

Here is a summary:

1. Replaced the Driver's side rear brake wire harness with a newer one.
2. Replaced all bulbs with newer ones.
3. Now, either the bulbs works or not. Tapping on the lens doesn't work.
4. To my surprise these Incandescent Light Bulbs (OLD Technology) bulbs get very HOT and within time ruin the sockets!

Summary:
I wasted NO MORE TIME and went to my nearest O'Reilly Auto Parts and found some really powerful LED replacement lights for my old 1992 Toyota Camry XLE with 472,543 miles!:laugh: These LED lights are made by PILOT Automotive.

A few pictures!

First, acquired a newer and in very good condition driver's side rear tail light harness from a donor car in the salvage yard.

Cleaned the cavity!

Had to install the trailer hitch wiring!

Only the best Electrical Tape!

You would think that after all this work, all would be okay....nope the next early morning going to the park-n-ride parking lot, the same driver's side rear brake light stop functioning and this time the small tap using finger would not work. It turns out that these old lights just don't cut it anymore! They will function for a few days and then, your Brake Lights don't work and you get a ticket. The filament used are just weak and will dim within time. No matter what you do! A pack of two are anywhere from $6.00 to $10.00 depending if you go with regular or extra life and neither is worth it.:frown:

Had enough and went with the LED lights by PILOT Automotive and very happy!!!:grin:

These LED lights are so powerful, they saturate the Camera's Sensor!:wink:

Here are the Rear Turning Indicator Lights!

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
I had the same problem with my LED converstion, this is the restitor that you need (I already did the research and R&D for you :wink:): http://www.autozone.com/electrical-...l-flasher/6415_0_11714/?CJPID=3193631cmpid=cj

Here's a video I made years ago showing it works. Please forgive the shaking, poor quality camera and loud music *sigh* (seriously turn your speakers down a bit): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbkk9dOJOU

And here's a link to my Build up, where I show you how to install it (if you need that info): http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/343481-az-s-96-camry-wagon-build-up-thread-41.html#post4892409
Hope it helps!

#6 ·
They were made by a forum member here. Depo housings, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure. They are a handmade one-off. Sorry that's probably not the awnser you were looking for. But if you are looking to try it yourself, try the good people at: www.theretrofitsource.com I purchased new ballasts from them, really good service :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.