Toyota Nation Forum banner

Another useless Camryn thread :)

945 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  KoltonMcCallister 
#1 ·
I've been thinking... How much power can the stock 1mz rods handle?
As I have long roads of saving before investing in pauter rods, I figure a good stepping stone into driving a high hp car, is to go gradual anyways. I don't have any intentions of buying a bunch of parts over a two year span, and dumping an extra 250 horses into him overnight, (as that would be completely irresponsible, me and Camryn would surely meet our timely demises in a firery blaze wrapped around a tree) I shall do this gradually. I've read somewhere the stock rods can handle about 300hp at the flywheel. That's about like 4psi for a 1mz?
I figured i would do low cost/ mid cost supporting mods that will get me close to where we want for now. I'm thinking 300 should be enough.
For now. I also want the stock auto trans to be able to handle it for a while. You guys all know I want a manual, but my wife refuses to drive one. (He is her dd as well, which is why he He doesn't go hard much, she drives more.) And well, I love my wife more than driving lol.
But one day. ;)
Any ideas on a low cost boost setup that the u140e and stock rods can handle? 4-5 psi, correct me if I'm wrong lol.
Eventually, as I've said before he will get bigger valves (they don't seal well), full exhaust, maybe the 2mz intake cam and 3mz exhaust cam... If I can find some to fit, roller lifters, stiffer valve springs.500cc 2is injectors, a walbro 190, cheap fpr.. Porting... Pretty soon some new rod bearings...
I've pondered running coolant lines to wrap around the intake, but come to the conclusion that that's stupid. Lol.
I may post some pics so I can do a before and after.. Or day by day rather lol.
But like I said for now, an easy (maybe not to achieve lol) 280-300 at the crank.
Unless: can the stock trans handle any power whatsoever above stock?
How much can it handle, on occasion?
And fwiw I plan on doing his suspension and tires before he reaches any hp gains, yano, for responsibility reasons.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm told that the 540 auto can handle about 250hp to the wheels reliably, with a transmission cooler, and a bit of care in driving technique. My own a540 is a newer transmission than the car, but has shown no issues in the last two years running 3-4psi with my electric supercharger, and at least putting the car into a pretty fun performance area for a sweet old '93, 3VZ-FE Camry. It was "Tony the Tiger", that told me this general number, and he has a lot of experience with the 1MZ-FE and automatic, as well as a bit more with a manual transmission. (Like maybe 7oo+whp):grin: 300 flywheel should be ok, and should make the car pretty stupid quick for regular mortal drivers of Camry's.:wink:

#4 ·
Im sure the Rods can handle that power.. But Id change the rod bolts with ARP bolts.
Whats the stroke of the engine? This would be something to look into when adding induction power.

I read "cheap FPR" well something as important as an FPR shouldnt be something to save cash on. Aeromotive or similar isnt that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Bigger valves? What seem to be the problem? They dont seat well.. So would that be the guides that are shot? Im sure the seats are banged up if the guides are worn.

Id just go ahead and port match the intake and exhaust runners if your taking off the head. Grind down the casting marks and try and smooth it out since the head is already off the block.

#5 ·
I was actually intending on port matching sometime soon, I'll just save the runners for when the heads are off Lol...
But I'm not sure if it's the guides or the seats, probably both. Could be contributing to his idle problem.?
Anyhow, what is this electric supercharger setup? Can it be done on the cheap?
I've currently given myself a 50$ a week budget because I'm broke :( so if it's more I'll just have to stick back for a while. :/

Can the stock rods handle 300 hp?
And when the wife gets her new 2012 v6 se ;) and Camryn gets a manual, closer to 275 will get to the wheels, am I correct?

#7 ·
I should not get your hopes up, my system is truely a "one off", and the guy at Phantom Superchargers is not in the mood to babysit other folks through a prototype system yet. the Phantom Supercharger is a unique system in terms of judging the effects of boost. Having 3-4 psi within a half a second of hitting the gas pedal with an automatic transmission in a V-6 Camry, means that you get 60-70 more ft/lbs of torque to the wheels... right now. If you do a pre-load "brake launch", you might build even more. On my car this will give you a healthy amount of wheelspin for a strong 0-60 launch with ideal traction conditions. From this point, the whole hp/torque curve is bumped up early in the rpm range. At 5500rpm, where my automatic wants to shift itself, my power output is starting to decline, but is still benefiting from 1psi of boost or so, and making over 200hp at the flywheel. I have a 3VZ-fe, so a 1MZ-fe would peak a little higher. I also have a modified y-pipe system on my exhaust, that benefits mid/higher rpm power.

If I am getting serious about getting rolling fast, I hit a secondary boost button, about a half a second before I hit the throttle wide open for a 0-60 mph run. Under these conditions I can pull off 0-60 run times in the low 6 second range at my 3500ft altitude level. I have driven the car at a couple of places with about 1500ft lower altitude, and noted that traction becomes a very big issue in testing.

You should follow the advice from above and check out this project with experts. I have given you solid advise on the automatic transmission element, but for engine information you will have to go deeper.

#8 ·
Haha thanks for the info Silentrunner. :p
I just need to find a way to create boost, maybe something diy. My dad mentioned a certain Dyson vacuum motor that spins at a little over 100,000 rpm... That may be the motor I'm looking for. Lol was thinking of making an electric turbo somehow...
Anyhow, I'll see what my creativity can come up with, as the aftermarket doesn't really have any solutions in my price range. Unless we're considering an eBay turbo kit, but those blow the turbo real quick lol

#10 ·
White95camry
I've always heard nos was the hardest of forced inductions... Is this true?
Also, the refilling of the tank...
How hard would it be to set up a butterfly valve that I could close off by lever (so nothing leaked out, would be in between filter and maf sensor)
And between the valve and maf, I could put a giant pressurized oxygen tank?
I read atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen, plus the charge of air would be super cold. This surely should work... Right? Lol
Anyhow I'm looking for boost Camryn can make.. Not something I would have to refill.
It is worth playing around with tho.. :p

#12 ·
Like I said, I just want enough boost to have a little fun, and to maybe shave the 0-60 from 8 to 6... And to have a stepping stone to high hp vehicles... I don't want torque steer from a 400 whp fwd taking me by surprise lol.

Read a thread on here where someone used super capacitors on a bank to power a motor that ran a supercharger...

May be a shit in the dark, but do those little eBay electric superchargers that look like a chrome hairdryer do ANYTHING?
I would assume not, for every 1 revolution, he pulls 3 liters, it would have to be able to pump 15,000 liters per minute, just to be able to not bog Camryn down at 5000 rpm. Let alone moving even 1/14.7th more air, which is I Like.. An extra 1000 liters per minute if I'm correct.. I don't see it. And for my 4psi, it would have to be able to pump like 20k liters per minute? @ 5k rpm?
Maybe of it does anything, it will be lower in the power band? Maybe it'll just help his 1000-3000 range? I don't even see that, thing would probably blow it's plastic housing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.