Toyota Nation Forum banner

Has anyone heard of a Camry Plus?

2K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  jecht 
#1 · (Edited)
I spotted a rare '95-96 (body-color rear center) DX sedan with a V6 sticker. Not only that, but it said Plus in weird lettering...

It's a DX V6, but an Automatic! Most V6 autos are LEs or XLE. I've never seen a DX V6 auto. PW/PL/PM.

I'm not sure how to add the image itself, but I have it uploaded at that link. It says Plus on the rear fascia. EDIT: I cropped and added a jpg file.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
That's the first V6 DX I've ever seen. I'd suspect someone plopped a V6 badge on it, but the dual exhaust tips are a giveaway that it's really a V6.

#9 ·
Someone just had fun and slapped on the DX sticker along with the PLUS. It looks like a V6 LE. The DX is not even in the same font/size as the V6 as they typically follow the same size. DX was never badged AFAIK on the Gen3 - If it was a DX, it just had no badge. Only LE, SE, XLE was labeled.

Who ever has that camry needs to adjust the exhaust pipe tips, they are not aligned right.

I've seen a 1998 Corolla/1999 around here with an 'SR5' badge. I had to lol.

#11 ·
You guys might be right... Just noticed the power antenna on it. Gen3 DX would not have that. But that's a Gen3.5. Did Gen3.5 DX's have a power antenna?

#12 ·
What did the DX model Gen3 (92-94) have for power attenna? Was it just a non-power antenna?

I know the 1994 XLE V6 and 1995 LE V6 has power antenna.

#14 ·
I think starting in 1994 there was no DX with the V6 for the U.S. market. We never had the SE badge in Canada. Oh and that exhaust setup makes me :lol:

#17 ·
I also noticed it had power windows, locks, mirrors, so it was probably a fake.

:p

I was intrigued by the Plus symbol. There have been some weird cars over the years: Ford Taurus MT-5, Ford Tempo GTX awd version, Chevy Celeb VR, Camry American Edition (two-tone paint), Accord DX strippers, Benz 260SE (bare-bones S-class), etc. etc.

#22 ·
I know the Plus is real because I've seen a couple at the junkyard I frequent and even pulled a front floor mat from one. The mat has the same Plus lettering stitched into it as is seen in the rear badge. I was curious about it myself and found this thread with Google so I can offer no more insight at the moment.

#23 ·
It's just a value package.

http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-toyota-camry-1992-1996/

I found this!
A minor frontal redesign in ’95 gave Camry improved headlights and minor trim and upholstery changes to the interior as well. The ’96 Camry was unchanged and the last year of the third generation body style.

The wheel lug nut seating surfaces may be improperly machined on some 1996 Camry Plus models equipped with the extra value package. Contact a Toyota dealer for new lug nuts and wheels, before you loose a wheel. Engine timing belts should be replaced by 100,000 km and check for head gasket oil leaks on the V6.

Undoubtedly the quality benchmark in the family sedan segment, resale prices for the Toyota Camry are generally higher than the competition. This is good when you’re selling a Camry, but used car buyers should expect premium price tags.

#24 ·
And it's a recalled model too!

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/recalls/1996073/

Recalls
Recall date May 14, 1996
System Suspension
Models afftected

1996 Toyota Camry

Units affected 1,831
Details

NOTE: CAMRY PLUS MODELS EQUIPPED WITH EXTRA VALUE PACKAGE INSTALLED AT PORT OF ENTRY.

THE WHEEL LUG NUT SEATING SURFACES MAY BE IMPROPERLY MACHINED.

AS A RESULT, THE WHEEL NUT TORQUE MAY NOT REMAIN CONSISTENT OVER TIME.

CORRECTION: WHEEL LUG NUTS AND WHEELS WILL BE REPLACED ON AFFECTED VEHICLES.

#29 ·
There is a rather lowbrow video from a used car dealer showing one of these on YouTube. Note that it has separate low and high res versions (and he flubs the description similarly both times,) but it did remind me of the wood applied to the dash. It looks nice enough but there was some deterioration after so many years which was enough to dissuade me from trying to salvage it. Not much point, considering the noble and honest black plastic on mine is like new. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.