Toyota Nation Forum banner

Does the 4G Camry have a cabin air filter?

10K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Blackness 
#1 ·
I heard some people say the cabin air filter option was not yet available in the 4G Camry is that true or a lie? If there is a cabin air filter where is it located and could you please post a diagram of it. I know the Accord of that era had one so I'm sure the Camry should have it too.

If there is not a cabin air filter then that is just horrible because you are not getting any clean air inside the car at all!

#4 ·
Then I feel sorry for people driving 4G's. They will most likely end up with respiratory diseases later in life because of an automobile company that was too lazy to install a key health safety feature.
:) How old are you?
How about driving a car with no AC or manual windows or no power steering?
Could you name at least a few "economy" cars from that era that had cabin filters?

#7 ·
This thread says that some Camrys have provisions for a filter, and just need to install one. Reading thru it, it's not clear which have it and which don't...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398152.html

Unfortunately most of the pics have gone missing. There are a couple posted later in the thread.

Reactions: Kingdom934
#8 ·
I was seriously considering purchasing a 2001 Camry as a second vehicle since that was my favorite generation but now knowing the vehicle doesn't come with any sort of cabin air filter has changed my mind.

I'm not going to risk my health by driving a car that doesn't filter polluted air from entering the cabin.

#11 ·
I'm not going to risk my health by driving a car that doesn't filter polluted air from entering the cabin.
What's going to happen when you open the door and get out of the car? Do you wear a mask/filter at all times?

As a side note, I'm pretty sure the filter mainly serves to protect the evaporator from becoming clogged with dust, not protect the health of the occupants.

#10 · (Edited)
I believe Molson.david is correct. The US Gen 4 Camry doesn't have the cabin air filter option. There are some Gen 4 Camrys in other countries that do have it. I saw a YouTube video of a right hand side drive Gen 4 Camry in another country in which the dude pulled the cabin air filter out of its compartment.

Honestly, I don't think a healthy person is going to get sick from driving a car with A/C that doesn't have a cabin air filter. What about all the millions of people (including me) who drove cars with A/C back in the day that didn't have cabin air filters? None of my previous cars with A/C had a cabin air filter (my most previous car, a '96 Nissan Sentra, didn't have a cabin air filter and I'm pretty sure I never got sick from it--and I drove it until it had 348K miles). If you have a compromised immune system, or are otherwise susceptible to germs, you can spray Lysol into the intake of the A/C every couple of weeks while it's running to disinfect the evaporator coil. I only do this if it smells funny, not because I'm going to get sick. If it's pollution you're worried about, then I'm not sure how to help you and I don't believe a cabin air filter will necessarily filter out pollution. As soon as you get out of the car, you'll be breathing in whatever quality air is in your city, including polluted air.

#13 ·
OP, as others have said, you don't need one. ppl were driving cars for almost 100 years before the 2001 camry and didn't have filters, but that being said, my 94 gen3 v6 jvin does have the hole for one. it's a 2 part monster of a filter that also went in the same year lexus es300 with commensurate cost. i did buy one and put it in per a post on this forum a year or so ago but i won't ever change it. not worth the effort. just something i personally wanted to do. i do remember reading that either jvin or u.s. spec'd gen4's had the bracket for it in the air flow housing but the door wasn't cutout and one guy actually took a craft knife and cut out a 1/2" x 8" approx/afaik slit and put one on his too.
many more worthwhile things to do on these cars to keep them going strong like plugs, oil, and trans fluild changes. Now those DO matter!
happy hunting.
tony

#18 ·
Cabin filters are pretty irrelevant...

...but then again, I'm the kind of guy who PREFERS manual steering, crank windows, no AC, radio delete kinda cars.

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

#19 ·
cabin filters are a hustle. Billions in cabin-filter contracts came into being since their implementation in everyday cars. The air that is filtered is simply atmospheric air... aka the same air you breathe 99.9% of the time during the rest of your day...

As soon as you crack a window or step outside your car, you are back breathing unfiltered atmospheric air...

as others noted, youd have to wear a respirator-mask the rest of the day to see any practicle health benefit...

To the OP - ANY car can be fitted with a cabin filter.. simply stuff one inbetween the outside-air inlet and the internal ducting...

..but remember this is synonomous with putting a filter on every open window you have in your house.. and wearing a resporator to filter out 'dirty earth air'....

#20 ·
I am 40 years old. I have owned many cars over the years and it wasn't until 2012 that I owned my first car with a cabin filter which was my '12 Honda Civic. (I do not think my 2000 Toyota Tundra that I owned in 2007 had one) and my current newest car (2015 Hyundai) has one. I currently have five cars and that is the only car I have that has one.

I do not think the lack of one would keep me from buying a used car. If it was that much of a deal, instead of buying a '00 Camry, I would get a '00 Accord. :wink:

#22 · (Edited)
Hmmm...? Looked into this awhile back, even peaked at the spot on my '93 Camry. I read a long time back that I could put a cabin filter in from an ES300. I figured the only advantage was that it might keep my windshield a little cleaner from the defroster/defogger, and hold a little dust back. Never bothered with it.:wink:

Edit: glass cleaner and a couple of paper towels, once in a while. have served me well

#26 ·
I think the point is already given. The OP asked the question regarding if the cabin has an air filter. There is no air filter in the Gen4 while it could be installed on some models (as noted in the previous thread). Some people might take that as a 'final straw' between one car or another. If so, thats fine. Not everyone needs to drive a Camry, Accord, Altima, Taurus...or walk. If someone is so worried about then so be it. I personally don't think the cabin filter is the final straw, heck half the time it's neglected anyhow with leaf, bird feathers and all kind of crap lol. It feels like someone who is so worried about cutting calories and eatting healthy only to orders the largest size of their favorite diet soda.

#27 · (Edited)
#29 ·
I posted this in his other thread, but I think our OP troll hasn't learned the difference between disliking something because it doesn't suit your tastes, and disliking something because it is genuinely terrible.

#32 ·
Like I said, I think he hasn't learned the difference between disliking something due to preference, and disliking something for a genuine lack of merits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.