Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help! DIY replace clutch master cylinder.

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Hiro Protagonist 
#1 ·
:help: My car is 1999 camry v6 manual 1MZ-FE engine. Yesterday the clutch pedal is suddenly pushed to floor and can't jump back and I can't change gear. I call a mobile mechanic and found out that it needs to replace the clutch master cylinder. However there are no screws outside (see picture 1) and I can only find one possible screw inside near the pedal (see picture 2). Is there any DIY info or movie for replacing the master cylinder. The mobile mechanic charges a lot to replace it. Many Thanks in advance:help:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There are two 12mm nuts holding the master cylinder to the firewall here's a picture of one so you know what you're looking for. Maybe one of them is hiding behind the firewall insulation. BTW the pic you posted is that the clutch or brake pedal I can't tell...wait It looks like the clutch I see what is probably the helper spring.

#4 ·
There are two 12mm nuts holding the master cylinder to the firewall here's a picture of one so you know what you're looking for. Maybe one of them is hiding behind the firewall insulation. BTW the pic you posted is that the clutch or brake pedal I can't tell...wait It looks like the clutch I see what is probably the helper spring.

This one is for left hand car in America and won't fit the right hand car in Australia or Europe. Do you know where to get one for the right cars? Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks you all your feedback! The chassis no. is 6T153XK200X583447. The attached photo is the master cylinder of my car. It is a little bit hard job for me to take it out as the second screw can't be easily seen. Is it good to rebuilt it or get a non brand new one? Where to find a cheap one? Any further DIY info to rebuilt it?

Thanks again!:thanks:

Attachments

#8 ·
You sure that VIN is correct? I could only get basic info from it and couldn't find a part number for a complete master cylinder. The rebuild kit may be 04311-12110 but can't be sure.

#9 ·
Australian VINs and frame/model numbers often don't show up in overseas parts catalogues. For instance, mine are 6T153SK200X042567 and SXV20R-DEMDKQ, but that's for a 5S.

Decent chance that the rebuild kit would work (since there's nothing in the kit that is RHD/LHD specific) but there's also a chance that our cylinders are locally made and therefore different from Jap/US ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.