Toyota Nation Forum banner

1999 Solara won't stay running

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  mcgowaw 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Toyota Solara it will crank and run sometimes, sometime it will just turn over about and nothing, new plugs, coil packs, wires, TPS, it will run for about 10 to 15 and just die. No check engine light, however I don't be leave it works because it don't come on when i try to crank the car. Also will I turn it over ti won't start, but it I turn the switch off and on about 5 times something clicks then it will crank. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
plug in an obdii reader and see if there are stored codes and tell us what they are?
also, can you clarify: does it crank and not start, or does it start and not run long? seems like you described 2 different situations there.
lastly, what was done as far as maintenance and how long ago was it done so we don't waste your time telling you to do things you've already done in the last say 10,000 miles or so.
tony

#3 ·
I change the oil, fuel filter, fuel pump, plugs and wires because it had a misfire, the car ran good then last week it started cutting off then it got to the point it stopped cranking. however, when I turn the switch back and forth about 5 times it will crank, I noticed when I do that I would hear a click then it"ll crank. Someone told me it might be the ECM because the check engine light is not coming on when I turn of the switch I'm not sure what it is. thinking maybe the switch itself, or the Key.
thanks Earl

#5 ·
might be the ecm. it can cause some weird problems for sure. i just had to replace mine. the car would cut off for no reason, hot or cold, idling or cruising. now, it works great.
normally they're pretty bulletproof but they are over 2 decades old. not too much stuff lasts that long anymore.
not having a check engine light is not good. do any of the other lights come on with the key ON such as airbag, brake, oil, etc.?
tony

#7 ·
One thing I noticed today when I turn the switch back and forth about 5 times the red security light is on, it won't start now it will only turn over. before it would crank after turning the switch back and forth about 4 to 5 times I would hear a click by the kick panel on the drivers side then it would crank.

#8 ·
does it have a car alarm? do you have a remote for it? if yes and no, then maybe it's stopping the car thinking you're trying to steal it. you can find how to's to disable the alarm but it might be easier to take it to a shop as they are pretty knowledgeable on this kind of thing. the brains for mine are under the driver's seat and there's a disable switch on it. if yours is oem, might be the same. if aftermarket, who knows where they wuda put it.
tony

#9 ·
OP, are you using the term crank for running? Crank and turn over are when the starter is turning the crank shaft.

It does sound like it's either your ignition switch or a relay. I have a feeling your fuel pump isn't running when it doesn't start.

#13 ·
OP, again, does this car have an alarm, either oem or aftermarket or do you know? if i understand what you're saying is happening, it definitely could be the alarm cutting it off if you didn't disarm it.

also, as i said originally, it definitely could be the ecm. stop by the pic and pull and get one of the same model as yours and swap it out. can't really tell by looking at the guts if it's bad, at least not always.

tony

#14 ·
Yes, it does have a security system, I don't know how to disarm it, the light in the middle of the console lights up and there is a click under the driver side. I can't find where the click is coming from. I haven't been able to find a 99 Solara anywhere around here, I was wondering would a ECM out of a 99 v6 Camry work. how do I disarm the the security, there is nothing under the seat, there is a silver box with a white connector plugged in it.
Thanks Everyone for the help

Also, if I put the ECM in do I have to get it programmed

#15 ·
ecm programmed? no. just get the same 10 digit model number as yours.
but for now, i'd concentrate on getting a remote for that alarm or getting it removed. as i said earlier, take it to a shop. they'll be able to do it for you. i'd suspect a problem there first.
tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.