Toyota Nation Forum banner

Coolant Tank leaking

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bdy0003 
#1 ·
I was quoted 130 for a coolant recovery tank but found one on rock auto for 8 dollars. He advised i order and do it myself since its cheaper. He also said that putting tap water is fine as long as i get the tank replaced soon. Any thoughts? he specified the tank was leaking, and not a hose.

I have a 2000 Camry LE 2.2L

#2 ·
I would just buy a gallon or two of the appropriate coolant and top it off that way. You will preserve the proper mix that way. You can pick up premixed Zerex Asian at NAPA for around $20 a bottle.

If you go the cheap route. Use distilled, not tap water. The minerals in tap water could introduce corrosion in the system.

You should get the new coolant tank in a few days.

#4 · (Edited)
So, I was thinking about this. And I was thinking " what would I do if the leak was more than just a couple of drops at a time? And what if I had to wait a week or more for the part to arrive"

Would it be possible to put something like a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag in there after you siphon out all of the coolant with something like a turkey baster?. And then just put more coolant into the bag. The idea being the bag would serve as a liner. Obviously it would just be a short-term solution. Until the new coolant tank arrived anyway. I wonder if that would work.

Would the vacuum created as the car cools try to suck the bag up into the hose? Would you be able to seal the coolant tank cap over the bag? Would there be enough volume in the bag to accommodate the expansion as the car gets warm? Just some thoughts if the leak is more serious than we realize.

#5 ·
If you have a radiator cap it is a recovery tank. It reduces the likelihood the cooling system will vent those terrible toxic fluids onto the ground. The system seals with pressure from the radiator cap and shouldn't suck from the tank. As long as the radiator is at the proper level you are good. Most of mine are running dry.

#10 · (Edited)
Strongly disagree. Spilled glycols rapidly break down in the soil. No requirement for recycling or special disposal. Pour it on your lawn. As soon as no animals can drink it all is OK. The proper level in the coolant tank plus good sealing cap and connecting hose insures that no air will be in the radiator. A properly filled overflow tank insures that each cooling cycle of the radiator draws only coolant back into the radiator.A dry tank will result in air going back into the radiator as the coolant cools. With each such cycle, fresh oxygen goes into the radiator and hastens corrosion within the cooling system. The overflow tank, properly utilized, is important in prolonging the life of the engine.

#7 ·
I'm assuming that your reservoir is cracked on the top where they usually do. If that's the case, don't worry about it. It will just splash out until it reaches a low enough point that it stops. It will still have enough coolant in it to function.

The reservoir on my Camry was cracked for the 3 years that I owned it, and it still is now. It never gave me an issue.

If your reservoir is cracked on the bottom or otherwise unusable, a soda bottle with a hole cut in the lid (stick the hose down the hole) will suffice. Fill it just enough to submerge the hose with a cold engine. Poke an air hole in the lid if the hose is a tight fit.

#8 ·
This.

Also do not use tap water UNLESS you need to get to point A to B. Distill water is cheap, if you got a walmart, should be very cheap. If you have used tap water, I would recommend getting a coolant drain and refill done (probably hasn't been done in a while anyhow).

#12 ·
But he quoted me about 10x what it would cost to order myself. Makes me wonder if it's something more. He topped off my fluids. Is the 8 dollar tank legitimate? I guess that's my main concern. I figured I should go ahead and replace it if so cause I'm also replacing my spark plugs and wires

#13 ·
OP - the price of $130 is reasonable for the job... the reason why the price may seem 'high' compared to the $8 part is because every business has it's 'minimum' -- this is the minium price a person will work for... It may only take the guy 10 minutes to unbolt your old tank and bolt in a new one, fill it and be done - HOWEVER, the same guy in 10 minutes can also typically unbolt your alternator, bolt it back on and charge you $285 with a $85 alternator part-cost...

Its just a business thing -- he is VERY HONEST in suggesting that you sipmly source a $8 tank from ebay and bolt it on...

Also in business, if you charge too little for a 'small job' the client wont take it seriously... nobody wants call backs or nitpicking over a $35 dollar job! Its simply not worth it... $130 will make you take the job seriously and be apprciative of it...

tips:

- if the crack is on the top of the tank just patch it with tape temorarily
- radiator cap is both a pressure valve and a vacuum valve
- $8 and 10-15 minutes is all you will need for this job..even as a noob...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.