Toyota Nation Forum banner

Wheel alignment

604 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Nick1994 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 1998 Toyota Camry L4 2.2L, and I have a question about my front wheel. I went to a tire shop, and they also do alignments on wheels, and they told me that the control arm are worn out and I think they said that my lateral links are pushed in towards the wheel, and they couldn't do a perfect alignment on my front wheels. The thing is that I don't know if they said the lower control arms or the upper. And also when ever I go over a speed bump, the front wheels makes a popping noise, like when you pop one of your fingers. I couldn't understand the man who helped me on the shop, he had a thick french accent and the douche bag wouldn't tell me again what's wrong with the wheels. If anyone could give me a reasonable answer what could be the problem, I would really be thankful.

#2 ·
Usually the two wear items are the tie-rod ends and the ball joint. Both are fairly straight forward replacements. I guess the control arms could wear out on the frame side, but I have never encountered it.

My advice would be to find another alignment shop and get a second opinion.

#3 ·
They don't have upper control arms. They're referring to the control arm bushing being worn, that can make the pop noise in the front. But it could also be anything else in the front end.

You should probably replace the entire control arms, they come with ball joints and new bushings, usually cheaper than the parts to replace the bushings and the labor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.