Toyota Nation Forum banner

adding side airbags possible?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chasman 
#1 ·
Hi!
I've got a 98 Camry LE that I transplanted Lexus ES300 seats into. The ES300 I pulled them out of had side airbags, so the bags themselves are already in the seats. What would it make to make them functional? I know they were an option on the 98. Is there any wiring in the car for them even though the car was never equipped?

Thanks!
Joe

#2 · (Edited)
I doubt there is a harness already in your car. If this is even possible, you will need the Side Airbag capable Airbag ECU with the extra connectors for side airbags (usual ones only have one plug in the center), side impact sensors (only front sensors are there for "regular" cars), and the harnesses to the side airbags and sensors. I think it should be possible, up to your whether you thing it's worth your time.

EDIT: FYI, computer is located under the storage box b/w two passenger seats, side sensors are located inside the B-pillars.

#3 ·
Thanks slavie

We've also got a 98 Camry LE that we transplanted 2001 Celica black leather seats with side airbags.

Thanks for the parts list:
1 Side Airbag capable Airbag ECU w/extra connectors for side airbags
2 side impact sensors
1 harnesses to the side airbags and sensors

Has anyone already tried this upgrade?
Where is the access to place the side sensors inside the B-pillars?

#4 ·
As far as I know no one has ever attempted to add in the optional airbags. I know the wiring can be done but I get a little iffy with adding in the sensors for the airbag. Guess if you can find the OEM location of it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, wouldn't the side air bag deploy differently depending on the car it came from? Not sure if that would be an issue.

Installing the ES300/Celica seats, they required some custom fabrication?

#8 ·
Installing the ES300/Celica seats, they required some custom fabrication?
x2, and some pics please of both es300 and celica seats. iirc es300 seats fit on the stock mounting brackets?
Since there are many similarities between a 98 Camry and a 2001 Celica, we were able to install the 2001 Celica leather sport seats using the Celica OEM seat tracks/mounting hardware. The 4 front and the 2 center rear Celica seat tracks matched up with the mounting holes in the Camry floor.

The only issue was that the 2 rear outside mounting anchors are different. On the 98 Camry the front seat outside rear mounting holes are on the floor directly behind the seat. On the 2001 Camry sport seats, the outside rear seat track anchors mount on the outside of the end of the L & R seat tracks.

We had a local body shop install the seats for us. They simply drilled one hole in the floor to match up with each of Celica rear outside seat tracks and bolted them through the new holes. They then put bolts in the two unused original outside rear holes to prevent water intrusion.

The 2001 Celica leather sport seats are much more comfortable and supportive than the OEM Camry LE seats. They have both kidney and shoulder bolsters as well as a taller back & headrest. The triangular headrests allow one to easily look over one's shoulder when changing lanes. One can easily see out the full width of both front & rear left side windows.

The Celica sport seats sit much lower to the floor providing a lower center of gravity for spirited cornering. You'll develop stronger quadriceps getting in & out of the car with these seats. They also have longer seat tracks providing a greater range of adjustment. I'm 6' with relatively long legs and have no problem finding a comfortable driving position with a clear view of the road. The driver's seat also has a seat height adjustment not found on the Camry LE driver's seat. (Shorter individuals in the passenger seat may find the sun visors to not be quite large enough to block the sun. A supplemental seat cushion helps in this situation.)

Reactions: O_loung1
#5 ·
Nearly impossible to do, plus you will end up with a system not designed for the car which could have unintentional consequences in a crash. Also your insurance company will not look kindly at you modifying the safety system if they find out you did and you get in an accident that is your fault they may very well not honour your policy.

Just don't.

#7 ·
Since these cars are pre-CAN-BUS and the SRS system operates almost separately from all the other electrical functions, I think it can be done.

You might be able to transplant the SRS computer from the ES300 too. Compare the wiring diagrams from the 98 Camry vs the 98 ES300. It should just be an additional wiring harness. Check for seat belt pretensioners on the Lexus as well.

Since the body style of these vehicles are quite similar (and hence the interior compartment), I don't see an issue with how the side airbags deploy.

I personally wouldn't want to mess around with the SRS system too much. Its not if the side airbags I've added don't work, I wouldn't want to modify how the front airbags work since they link to the computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.