Toyota Nation Forum banner

PCV hose or breather hose?

17K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  brianappj 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

My smog check failed and the guy said the pcv hose or breather hose looks to be cracked. He marked it white but I'm not sure what part it is. Can you guys tell which part it is I need to order?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys

My smog check failed and the guy said the pic hose or breather hose looks to be cracked. He marked it white but I'm not sure what part it is. Can you guys tell which part it is I need to order?

Edit:sorry about the title... should be"pcv"- stupid autocorrect
Wow. You must be in Commiefornia.

Replace it with a similar diameter hose you buy by the foot at any parts store and you should be good to go.

#4 ·
What did it fail emissions for? High HC? High NOx? I doubt that hose would cause it to fail.

#7 ·
From what I've been told shops will fail a certain amount of cars to meet a quota or something to that effect.
Oh, they can fail in CA for a visible crack in a hose? Didn't know that.
What did it fail emissions for? High HC? High NOx? I doubt that hose would cause it to fail.

They failed the pcv check based on tape around the hose indicating a likely crack and also failed the timing. but my mechanic said timing was fine and it failed cause the guy checking is prob a noob who didn't bypass the ignition circuit or something before testing it

#6 ·
Oh, they can fail in CA for a visible crack in a hose? Didn't know that.

#10 ·
That 'crack' if he's referring to the plastic outer side thing is normal. I've seen that hose 'skin' on other things in the past for OEM hoses. I think it's just for additional support. the actual hose rubber looks fine though...

#11 · (Edited)
No, he was referring to the actual end of the hose where that white marking is (he put that there - nail polish i guess?). If you look closely, there's what appears to be electrical tape wrapped around the end of the hose going to the valve (PCV?) and the clamp is clamped over it. The smog check guy said I can't have tape wrapped over that. When I asked my mechanic about it, he told me that it's cracked on the end - I'm guessing he must have wrapped that last time or something? I dunno... I think what I need to do is remove that clamp and take that part of the hose off, unwrap the tape, and see if anything is in fact cracked. And if it is then get a replacement hose of the same diameter from Autozone or Oreilly or something... is there a standard diameter for these (breather?) hoses? Or are they all different diameters from car to car?

I just hope that in pushing that end of the hose off I don't end up breaking the valve - I've read that the valves get brittle after a while so I'm a bit wary of it all.

#14 ·
Wow, for a cracked hose? I am in cali. Bummer.

If you have not replaced PCV before, might as well do that. OEM though. NAPA might have the Aisan in box, if yes, its from oem supplier. $6. Just a thought but for now, just do the hose.

#17 ·
12262-62040 is vent hose #2 that goes from the cylinder head cover to the intake hose. 12261-62030 goes from the PCV valve to the intake manifold.

#18 ·
You can go OEM or aftermarket hose. Personally I would just go OEM if the cost isn't insane just because the slight bend might make it look odd or it might fit wierd. Also, not sure if it's the same for the 2AZ engine, but the hose diameter ends are slightly different from the PCV valve end to the other end of the intake.

Price check for OEM PCV valve and aftermarket. I've noticed it's a small difference for the genuine one to the aftermarket. I've used FRAM PCV valves and other ones without any issues, but again comes down to the price. Most times, it's usually not too expensive the difference.

#19 ·
I live in So. CAL and yes you will fail a visual inspection if any emissions hoses are torn, loose, broken, or disconnected. There is a resource online you can read regarding the visual test. I would make sure no hoses had any problems before my test. The tech can see a hose disconnected aND fail the car at the end without even saying anything before hand. I would even watch the tech didn't purposely disconnect a hose to fail me, (cynicism in me). Anyways yes any generic autozone hose with the inner diameter will suffice. Make sure it's not overly lose if worried use hose clamps.

#20 ·
So I removed the tape that was under the clamp where the crank case is on the hose vent and I see no signs of cracking or anything. The tape looked like it had been on there *forever* too, and I've had previous smog checks done where they didn't fail it.

Is there any reason why that part of the hose vent would be taped over to begin with? I'm wary going back to the smog check place in the case that they end up failing me again for something else... I just don't want that to happen.

#22 ·
I am glad I don't live in one of those "emission" states. With all the pickups and large trucks I see that billow a 10 ft cloud of BLACK smoke or soot on every gear change that I have to drive through I don't know what I would say if I failed a test because there was a piece of tape on a hose. They need to clean up all the vehicles that produce visible smoke before they worry about my tiny engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.