1995 Camry power antenna - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada 1995 Camry power antenna

Hey and thanks for any help,

My 1995 Camry power antenna will not go up or down since last winter.
It makes noises like it's trying but it doesn't move.
I can move it up and down but it requires a lot of force..not good

Any instructions on how to change it out? if I get a part from the wreckers...

Thanks..Folken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
You most likely just need a new antenna MAST. Many Auto parts stores sell universal ones, and you do not even need to take the motor out to change it. A lot of the time, the plastic rod inside will break. It's a VERY common thing.

My Camry: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228043...y-xle-sedan-4d
'96 Camry: 2MZ
'95 AE101: JDM Tails/Grill/BiXenon Headlights. JDM Lighted Ignition Keyring and Cabin Air Filter
#3 Old 06-15-2006, 04:32 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Here in the states, Pep Boys sells an exact replacement mast for $12. To replace it you unscrew the bezel (the one with the 2 slots) on top of the right rear fender. A needle nose pliers or a retaining ring pliers works well. Then have someone turn the radio on and the antenna will come all the way out (you may have to pull yours out a bit) in to your hands. Notice which way the teeth on the pigtail go. Now feed the new mast in with the teeth on the pigtail facing the same way and have someone turn off the radio. The new mast will be pulled right in to the unit. Now just screw the bezel back down and you are done.

By the way, the procedure should be in the generation 4 manual stickied at the top of this forum.

Mike
#4 Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber
Here in the states, Pep Boys sells an exact replacement mast for $12. To replace it you unscrew the bezel (the one with the 2 slots) on top of the right rear fender. A needle nose pliers or a retaining ring pliers works well. Then have someone turn the radio on and the antenna will come all the way out (you may have to pull yours out a bit) in to your hands. Notice which way the teeth on the pigtail go. Now feed the new mast in with the teeth on the pigtail facing the same way and have someone turn off the radio. The new mast will be pulled right in to the unit. Now just screw the bezel back down and you are done.

By the way, the procedure should be in the generation 4 manual stickied at the top of this forum.

Mike
I live at the border so NP getting it.
Thanks as usual MG you are the man.............Folken
#5 Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folken
Hey and thanks for any help,

My 1995 Camry power antenna will not go up or down since last winter.
It makes noises like it's trying but it doesn't move.
I can move it up and down but it requires a lot of force..not good

Any instructions on how to change it out? if I get a part from the wreckers...

Thanks..Folken
Where does it make noises at? My 96 Camry stock head unit used to make noises for a couple of minutes after I start up the car. Afterward I find out it was because the head unit was trying to extend the antenna but wasn't able to do it due to broken antenna motor.

Hopefully your is just a broken mast and not the motor.

#6 Old 06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by camryelaine
Where does it make noises at? My 96 Camry stock head unit used to make noises for a couple of minutes after I start up the car. Afterward I find out it was because the head unit was trying to extend the antenna but wasn't able to do it due to broken antenna motor.

Hopefully your is just a broken mast and not the motor.
The noise is from the antenna motor. I am going to try the mast.....Thanks Folken
#7 Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Folken,

I meant generation 3 manual stickied at the top of this forum.

Mike
#8 Old 03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Antenna installation problems

I got my antenna and mast on ebay. It seems that the mast is too long.

When I took the old antenna out, there was NO MAST....where is it, where could it be? I kind of hand fed the mast into and it caught on the first try but it doesnt take the antenna all the way down there is about 16" of slack on the mast. I am outside now trying to figure this out. I will continue messing around with it until dark.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stockmover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post

Mike

• 94 Camry V6 XLE 1MFZE (244,xxx)
  • 95 Camry LE (205,xxx)
------------------------------------------
#9 Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmover View Post
I got my antenna and mast on ebay. It seems that the mast is too long.

When I took the old antenna out, there was NO MAST....where is it, where could it be? I kind of hand fed the mast into and it caught on the first try but it doesnt take the antenna all the way down there is about 16" of slack on the mast. I am outside now trying to figure this out. I will continue messing around with it until dark.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stockmover
I think you mean there is no nylon pigtail. It must have broken off from the mast itself (what the metal portion is called) and has to be stuck inside the housing along with the motor itself. You will have to remove the whole assembly and dissasemble it to remove the old nylon pigtail. Hopefully, you will then be able to get the assembly back together properly.

Mike
#10 Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Official TN Member

Mike,

Thanks for the swift reply. Unfortunately, moments ago the entire mylon pigtail broke. I was trying to force it into the antenna base (in the trunk) and it snapped. Money wasted for now but I will have to fool with it later on. I would like to get it in the down position at least and disconnect the power for now until I decide what I want.

I will visit the junkyard and see if they have an antenna with the power motor included. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Stockmover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post
I think you mean there is no nylon pigtail. It must have broken off from the mast itself (what the metal portion is called) and has to be stuck inside the housing along with the motor itself. You will have to remove the whole assembly and dissasemble it to remove the old nylon pigtail. Hopefully, you will then be able to get the assembly back together properly.

Mike

• 95 Camry LE (205,xxx)
#11 Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Lost to follow up!

Garage
iTrader Score: 59 reviews
If u find an antenna and motor that still works in a Junk Yard, ur one lucky dude!!

I've dealt with this same scenario! I replaced the mast and cable on the 96, it'd work for a couple of months, and BAM..break again!...I 'd remove and disassembled the motor,(again) pull out the broken mast, get it working, (having the wife turning the radio on and off over and over)....6 months later...same shit again!!

I'm a big dude and getting in the trunk was hell on the back, so S2K conversion for me.
I was lucky enough to find one for sale here on the site (thanks Damon) and when I bought the 94 with a busted antenna it was a no brainer, that it would get the same!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t65507.html

^^Link to an excellent DIY on how to do it with Part #'s. I bought the antenna on Ebay and the Celica parts at the dealer. Cost about 100 bucks, but well worth it IMO. Looks better and doesn't break!

BTW...this thread is 2 yrs old..thanks for searching!

Last edited by eyeball96; 03-30-2008 at 06:19 AM.
#12 Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Official TN Member

Just got back from the yard. Found a motor that works. ($14) It was the last one, many were taken already. Its a pick and pull yard.

I was outside tinkering with it again and the more I realized its nonsense. I would rather just get the S2000 even though I did not want a stubby antenna. There are too many variables with this one.
Thanks for your insight, I will keep you posted and probably take pictures once I get the s2000 installed.

Have a good one,

Stockmover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball96 View Post
If u find an antenna and motor that still works in a Junk Yard, ur one lucky dude!!

I've dealt with this same scenario! I replaced the mast and cable on the 96, it'd work for a couple of months, and BAM..break again!...I 'd remove and disassembled the motor,(again) pull out the broken mast, get it working, (having the wife turning the radio on and off over and over)....6 months later...same shit again!!

I'm a big dude and getting in the trunk was hell on the back, so S2K conversion for me.
I was lucky enough to find one for sale here on the site (thanks Damon) and when I bought the 94 with a busted antenna it was a no brainer, that it would get the same!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t65507.html

^^Link to an excellent DIY on how to do it with Part #'s. I bought the antenna on Ebay and the Celica parts at the dealer. Cost about 100 bucks, but well worth it IMO. Looks better and doesn't break!

BTW...this thread is 2 yrs old..thanks for searching!

• 95 Camry LE (205,xxx)
#13 Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Official TN Member

I hope that no one minds me tagging on a question to this because its simple and doesnt really deserve a new thread, and its about this topic. I have noticed that many people have gone and converted the antanna to an s2000 antanna. Is there something for the gen 3 camry that eliminated the motor like the s2000, or is the convertions the only way to go to avoid replacing that mast/motor and parts?
#14 Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Lost to follow up!

Garage
iTrader Score: 59 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrtm3 View Post
I hope that no one minds me tagging on a question to this because its simple and doesnt really deserve a new thread, and its about this topic. I have noticed that many people have gone and converted the antanna to an s2000 antanna. Is there something for the gen 3 camry that eliminated the motor like the s2000, or is the convertions the only way to go to avoid replacing that mast/motor and parts?

I bought an antenna from AntennaX.com..here's a pic!....about 20 bucks, but I didn't really like the "look".... it worked!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)