Toyota Nation Forum banner

Is it bad taste to add a wing-ed trunk lid to a non-wing-ed car?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ajkalian 
#1 ·
As we can see, there is a big dent on my trunk lid. I am thinking about how to correct this issue. I am not sure about the cheapest and best way to go is to:

1. Replace it with a trunk from a junkyard
2. Find somebody who can do paintless dent removal.

Given the cost of labor and size of the dent, my guess is that 1 is the better. (When the accident happened several years ago, the insurance company told me that there is no way to salvage the trunk lid. It has to be replaced. Is it true?) So the next question is whether I should get a wing-ed or non-wing-ed trunk lid? I have always like the trunk lid with a wing. But those wings have a 3rd brake light on them and I have already got a 3rd brake light in my cabin. So would having two 3rd brake lights be considered bad taste? I have located one parts car with a wing-ed lid and one without. So really appreciate some advice here. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
while i don't really see a need for a wing at anything less than autobahn speeds, if it's a dealer/factory option anyway, i don't see what'd it hurt. wiring the brake light will take a bit of work and be sure to seal the hole surfaces against rust.
tony

#3 · (Edited)
Doesn't hurt to get the OEM spoiler w/ the 3rd brake lamp. I'd do it.

Not sure if it applies to the Gen4, but on the Gen4 w/ the spoiler, there might be a plastic panel you can put in your car as a 'cover' for the place where the 3rd brake lamp suppose to be. That way you only run just the one on the spoiler. Check the donar car :)

If you can spot a trunk lid in the same color for around $100 might be worth it. IMO to fix that kind of dent due to the area it is in, it is going to be very labor intensive to pull (drill) that dent, bondo, and paint. Easier to just get a trunk lid. Whenever possible when dents are that big and behind a structure piece (i.e. roof pillars, around edge quarter panels, etc), easier just to swap entire panels where can. Even if PDR was an option, it would be at lease a hundred or two for it.

#4 ·
Thanks. That is a good idea. I forgot about the plastic insert. I shall take a look for sure.

The wing (=spoiler) might be totally useless, I just thought it looks good and adds a little bit of uniqueness. Anyway. The trunk lid in our area cost between 150-250. I am surprised it only costs $100 or less where you are.

#7 ·
Haha not yet. I can't find a trunk lid with the spoiler tail light in my color. The Anniversary Edition came with a spoiler, but it's rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.