Seafoam vs Marvel Mystery Oil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Seafoam vs Marvel Mystery Oil

I see alot of threads about Seafoam. It sounds like it is used exactly the same way as Marvel Mystery Oil. I have always used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past.

Is Seafoam any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
One with the force

They are different. Marvel mystery oil was invented in the days when upper cylinder lubrication was a real problem. And "back in the day" means the 1920's here.
Nothing wrong with it i guess, i have used it in gas and oil from time to time, personally, i've never noticed any type of performance difference whether i used it or not. i dont believe you can go wrong using it but modern oil and gas does pretty much anything marvel could do, IMO.

Seafoam is a pretty good cleaning product for removing carbon, deep creep spray does a fine job when cleaning the TBI butterfly and IAC and is also a good general lube. It is pricey but i often do buy it because it seems to work. The bottled kind is good to dump in the tank once in a while but if you notice a difference, as with any other additive, soemthing may be wrong with your engine.
#3 Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I just ran Seafoam through the throttle body today. Difference was very minimal, or could just be placebo effect. I guess it cleaned what ever it was supposed to, judging by the amount of smoke that came out. Either that or that was the product being vaporized or burned.

This is 15 screen captures from the video clip of me starting the car after running Seafoam through it.

And this is the video: http://rapidshare.de/files/30160969/seafoam.mpg.html

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#4 Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM
One with the force

lol touring.
Heres my opinion on all this, the reason there are so many posts on seafoam and cleaning the TBI and IAC is because it is one of the few genuine problem issues with our Camrys. Toyota designed the engines so the PCV gases (sorry for all the acronyms oy) go straight into the plenum. And after many miles there is buildup but usually does not do much harm for a long time. Modern engines run hot enough to burn away the effects from any problem areas including piston tops and valves, with one exception, yep the throttle body butterfly and Idle Air Control valve.

There are several easy solutions and none take much work or have to be done very often.

1. Per other peoples posts - you can simply cut the hose between the PCV valve and plenum, and install a clear universal fuel filter which cost about $3.00 plus a couple hoses clamps. (Ifyour engine idle funny after this maybe you pointed the filter arrow the wrong way, lol, gozinta engine.) And this will catch most of it.

2. If you remove the plenum for other maintenance, such as cylinder head or manifold work etc., then and only then soak it but good the inside with seafoam or carb cleaner and roto rooter it with paper towels, gun patches, what have you. Just get it as clean as you can and then forget it. Personally i wouldnt remove the plenum just for this cleaning, i dont believe its necessary.

3. Clean the TBI butterfly and IAC. (Dirty IAC shown in image above)

(If you use the fuel filter trick, the need for this ought to be minimal.) But after about 40 or 50k it will probably need it - and your idle might one day start to get rough and you will wonder why, and so you might wind up spending $$$ to find out when the only problem could be, dirty TBI/IAC. And the mechanics you take it to will no doubt, be very glad to take your money to fix it, when meanwhile, maybe all you needed was a $5 can of intake cleaner and a screwdriver to remove the big hose clamp off air filter tube and clean this thing.

Last edited by marc780; 08-27-2006 at 09:24 PM.
#5 Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Official TN Member

What is the IAC?????
#6 Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 AM
One with the force

lol touring...mine was so much worse. lol

#7 Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 AM
TN Post Wh*re

IAC is idle air control

nodrogkam: Your car is two years older than mine.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#8 Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
One with the force

yeah thats right u have a gen 4.5
anyways im curious, did you just pour seafoam into your tb after taking off the intake pipe?
I did seafoam through the brake booster/crank/gas.

#9 Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
One with the force

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...nt=Seafoam.flv

well...this is like the 3rd treatment of seafoam i have put my car through. last treatment was about 10K ago i guess. SAD how bad it got...and i over maintain my car as is.

#10 Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
One with the force

Quote:
What is the IAC?????

Idle air control valve, bottom of image - it has small vanes inside about the size and shape of two razor blades. These vanes are supposed to be closed when engine is cold and then they rotate to allow more air into the engine as it warms up. PCV gas crud builds up on them, which if ignored long enough, closes the air space and often this is a cause of rough idle on high mileage engines, if not cleaned every 40,000 or 50,000 miles. A good soaking with Carb cleaner through its air hole in TB assembly should be done while cleaning the TBI butterfly, and this is often sufficient to do the job. And if not, then and only then is it time to disassemble for a better cleaning.

Last edited by marc780; 08-27-2006 at 09:32 PM.
#11 Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
yeah thats right u have a gen 4.5
anyways im curious, did you just pour seafoam into your tb after taking off the intake pipe?
I did seafoam through the brake booster/crank/gas.
I poured some in a glass jar and then I took the brake booster vacuum line off and let it suck the stuff in and let it sit.

I poured maybe 2 - 3 oz in with the oil and none in the gas.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M

Last edited by touringcamry; 08-27-2006 at 09:51 PM.
#12 Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 PM
One with the force

yep me too. cept i just cut a waterbottle in half.

anyways i should be all good once again. finally used tb cleaner too. im just curious why after so little time and mileage it smokes so much already.
i should meet you one day. im going down to Irvine soon for college.

Last edited by nodrogkam; 08-27-2006 at 09:53 PM.
#13 Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
im just curious why after so little time and mileage it smokes so much already.
Smoke comes from the Seafoam or whatever fluid you're runing through the engine via air intake ... just put a couple drops of seafoam on the engine block while hot; you'll get some smoke. No problem, just the nature of the game.
#14 Old 08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
New TN User

I was at the local NAPA store to buy Seafoam last night and the sales guy mentioned that it may or may not cause problems for the cat converter. Just wondering if anyone had any issues with their cat converter after seafoaming?

Last edited by ganey; 08-29-2006 at 06:32 PM.
#15 Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
NYR

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc780

Idle air control valve, bottom of image - it has small vanes inside about the size and shape of two razor blades. These vanes are supposed to be closed when engine is cold and then they rotate to allow more air into the engine as it warms up. PCV gas crud builds up on them, which if ignored long enough, closes the air space and often this is a cause of rough idle on high mileage engines, if not cleaned every 40,000 or 50,000 miles. A good soaking with Carb cleaner through its air hole in TB assembly should be done while cleaning the TBI butterfly, and this is often sufficient to do the job. And if not, then and only then is it time to disassemble for a better cleaning.
Believe it or not, I screwed up my IAC by trying to clean it. Carb cleaner/throttlebody cleaner can fuck up a perfectly good IAC. The internals of the IAC/ISC are sensitive to the stuff....trust me!!
Ive asked many a mechanic about this and they pretty much told me that the Japanese IAC's are more sensitive then the Ford or GM ones. When I cleaned the IAC in my former Mercury Grand Marquis, it did not screw it up, but the one in my Camry got destroyed when I sprayed throttle body cleaner into it!

1991 Corolla LE - 5 speed

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)