Caliper slide pin frozen - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mxsurf's Photo Gallery
Caliper slide pin frozen

Hi guys, One side (slider pin)of the 2 part caliper assembly was frozen with rust and some crumbly black residue. Each side has a 2 part pin - the outer/top pin is shorter(1 1/4" or so) and it is a normal bolt with threads and a head...which screws into the lower/inside pin (2 1/4"or so) which is smooth and has a groove cut near the bottom. I'm thinking that this groove is for a rubber "o" ring which would dampen the sliding movement of the caliper. After I loosened the pin and bolt with liquid wrench and lots of turning, I cleaned out the inner channel/cylinder where the pin slides and put it back together. Its been working fine. I've never had trouble with this part when changing pads before, but maybe its good to clean the cylinder and pin, put a new "O" ring and a new little boot to keep out the moisture.The strange thing is that the Toyota dealer doesn't show the groove or the "O" ring on it's computer picture.They also said there is no need for any high temp grease in there(another website said it's good to do- not too much of course) When the one side binds - then the pads will wear unevenly. I could see more wear on the piston side. Should I bother trying to locate a high tep "O"ring for the one side ? Like I said .. it moves in and out smoothly and the brakes work fine. I even felt each rotor to see if one is hotter. Thanks, Mike
mxsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $133300
View profuse007's Photo Gallery
remove the caliper rail and clean it. if it feels rough, sand it down w/ 320grits then 600.

brake up your post, its too hard to read.

use brake grease, and i dont know what type it is. autozone sell it in a small pack. multi-purpose grease dont work so well.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks

Thanks for your advice. You're right, it is a lot of words. I recon (they use that in Australia too) I don't need the "O" ring.... Mike
Old 08-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
SE V6 5spd aficionado

Gameroom cash: $198120
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View mazdaverx7's Photo Gallery
mike, the caliper bracket does not use an o-ring. when i do my pads, i usually clean the slide pin and lube it with some synthetic grease. the slide pins are prone to failing if neglected. the boot is good enough to keep moisture out so i guess toyota didnt use an o-ring.
86 944 5spd
94 Corvette 6spd
85 RX-7 GS 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6
mazdaverx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $436755
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
One pin has the little rubber sleeve and the other does not. I can't remember whether the one with the sleeve goes on the top or the bottom, but the manuals stickied at the top of the general Camry forum should show it. The rubber bushing comes with that particular pin when you purchase it from Toyota. It is the only way to get that bushing. That pin should be about $12. I went through this about 3 years ago. I recommend replacing it with the correct pin with the sleeve. I also recommend using high temperature synthetic disc brake on the pin and also put a slight amount down in the hole.

PS: Make sure the old pin isn't stuck down in the hole. If it is, use a small j-hook tool to remove it.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

uno mas

Thanks guys, .....Mike, you mentioned "sleeve" - I'm not sure if you mean the little boot with the thin bushing attatched which fits snugly into the top of the sliding chamber(my term) I just picked up 2 from Toyota. or what I was calling the "O" ring.... I just looked at the manual on this site; they call it a "sliding bushing" and show it on only one bolt which has the cut groove I mentioned. Funny that the dealer's computer didn't show it. I'll go get some lithium grease. Many thanks....Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $436755
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsurf
Thanks guys, .....Mike, you mentioned "sleeve" - I'm not sure if you mean the little boot with the thin bushing attatched which fits snugly into the top of the sliding chamber(my term) I just picked up 2 from Toyota. or what I was calling the "O" ring.... I just looked at the manual on this site; they call it a "sliding bushing" and show it on only one bolt which has the cut groove I mentioned. Funny that the dealer's computer didn't show it. I'll go get some lithium grease. Many thanks....Mike

That is the one that I meant ("sliding bushing"). I wasn't sure of the exact term Toyota uses for it. When I went to my local Toyota dealer and asked just for the rubber bushing for that pin, the guy said that he only had the pin. I then chased around to about 5 different aftermarket auto parts stores looking for it. The only way I could find it was to buy a whole caliper rebuilding kit for around $32. I figured I was stuck, so I bought it. It didn't even contain the pin, so I had to go back to the Toyota dealer for the pin. When the parts guy brought it out, it had the rubber bushing already on it all along. He wasn't aware of that. He appologized to me and gave me a great price for it and all other parts I bought from him in the future. Too bad he left that dealership last Spring. Needless to say, I returned that $32 caliper rebuilding kit.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Gameroom cash: $478360
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View Eye8Pussies's Photo Gallery
so does liquidwrench get the slider loose?

one of the sliders on my front caliper is frozen and I can't seem to get it out....what's the best way? I tried banging on it with a mallet (not too hard) and I couldn't even budge it

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
Eye8Pussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Darkside Cut Me!!!

Gameroom cash: $215593
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View Hajoca's Photo Gallery
The pin is threaded, so find a metric fine thread fastner and turn it into a slide hammer to pull.

The slider has hex (17mm??) does it turn?
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
Hajoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Lifetime Supreme Member
no, the slider doesn't, that's why.....no problems with the screw/pin though....just the slider is seized and it gives me uneven wear on my pads

Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Darkside Cut Me!!!

Gameroom cash: $215593
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View Hajoca's Photo Gallery
You mean the two rails that the caliper rests onto.

Warm it up and and spray penetrating oil onto it and tap at it with a hammer lightly.

Try ATF, it frees up rusted parts pretty well too.
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
Hajoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Lifetime Supreme Member
cool...I'll try that

Old 09-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

View Digger1's Photo Gallery
Exclamation

Most of you guys know this, but just for anyone lurking and having this problem:

Those pins should be removed, cleaned up, and lubed w/ high-temp brake grease any time the pads are changed.

An ounce of prevention and all that!
Digger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Caliper slide pin maintenance

If the little boots look dry, it would be good to put new ones in - they were $5 each. They keep out the water which brings rust. They pry out easily by the thin metal bushing attatched, but a bit hard to tap in as you don't want to damage the rubber. I used a big socket. I still don't know why only the one pin has the groove cut into it near the bottom end which holds the little rubber sleeve(like an "O" ring, but flat) I don't think they last very long sliding back and forth. Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
SE V6 5spd aficionado

Gameroom cash: $198120
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View mazdaverx7's Photo Gallery
you don't think what lasts very long? the slider pins will last the life of the car if properly cleaned and greased. the boots can tend to dry out, but that seems to be fairly normal with any rubber part. if the slider pin is stuck and can't be removed, its very easy to snap the head of the slider off. you need to have the caliper bracket RED HOT around that slide pin. the bracket will expand and with some tapping, it'll spin. once reomved, you have to sand it and clean it, regrease it and do the same on the caliper bracket side. once you do that, replace the rubber boot(it will melt off with the heat unless removed) and you should be good to go. the problem is the pitting. if the slide pin is badly pitted due to rust, you know the inside of the caliper bracket is the same way. at that point, it may be best to replace the bracket and slide pin. i just did it on my 92 SE. snap went the head and i went to napa and ordered a new bracket. good to go. it even came with the slide pins!
86 944 5spd
94 Corvette 6spd
85 RX-7 GS 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6
mazdaverx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)