2001 soft brake pedal problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Lunar Mist's Photo Gallery
Question 2001 soft brake pedal problem

Here is the deal: My mom's 2001 Camry LE developed a soft brake pedal over only about two or three days. Before that, the brakes felt fine. So I checked all the linings: plenty of pad and shoe material. Then I bled the brakes (RR LR RF LF). This was my first bleed so I'm only hoping I did it correctly. I went around to each corner twice. Still had a pedal that would go to the floor pretty easily. So I pulled both rear wheels and adjusted the little ratchet mechanism in there. Still got a low pedal. I don't see any leaks. Could it be that the booster push rod got out of whack? Also, I've seen posted in a few places that the brake system on this car may need to be bled diagonally, that is, (RR LF LR RF). Is this true? Is going around to each corner twice enough? It doesn't seem like a MC problem, but I could be wrong. I'm at my wits end here folks, and my Mom really needs her car and money's too tight to mention. Please, help.
Lunar Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
camry> /RAPES\ <honda

View Jagwire's Photo Gallery
Rear Drum Brake ( adjusting mechanism ) ?? try adjusting more.. if that dont work.. check your pressure release valve next to your brake fluid resivour ( or maybe the master cylinder is gone bad) .... check that release Valve
Camry 4 Life
Jagwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View solidg's Photo Gallery
4th Generation

how did you go about bleeding

sounds like there is still air in the lines
solidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
One with the force

View marc780's Photo Gallery
If you bleed and bleed and bleed some more and still have soft pedal, here are some other things that could cause it -

1. Maybe master cylinder needs to be bled too...if so, this often indicates a master cylinder on the way out soon
2. Sticky pistons in the front calipers, or rear wheel cylinders. These do not always manifest themselves as abnormal lining wear on one side, sometimes it is more subtle like the piston may be slow to return. May need rebuilt calipers OR wheel cylinders.
3. Worn or grooved, rotors or drums can cause this too.
marc780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
5SFE

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View Lord_Anarchy's Photo Gallery
Well, you don't really count anything when bleeding. What you ARE going for is a solid stream of fluid as opposed to it bubbling out or nothing coming out when you twist the bleeder nipple after pumping the brake pedal.

Can you run through your bleeding procedure? What did you do?
Lord_Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)