seafoam trans tune for transmission and power steering? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
3rd Generation seafoam trans tune for transmission and power steering?

I know people here use seafoam a lot to clean their engine and throttle body. Has anyone tried its trans tune product to restore their transmission and power steering function? Any good experiences or results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
It's not much help, but I bought some trans tune and im just waiting for a decent day to go out and use it

#3 Old 01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned by a newb

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Cool

I used it once. No big deal to me b/c I habitually change my fluid.
#4 Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior TN Member

A quick question, I read that its best to use before a flush, but does that mean to use it right before a flush, or does it not matter if you dont plan to flush it for several thousand miles?

#5 Old 01-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093
A quick question, I read that its best to use before a flush, but does that mean to use it right before a flush, or does it not matter if you dont plan to flush it for several thousand miles?
i dont think its meant for the cleaner to be in there for several thou miles

maybe for a few miles
#6 Old 01-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Seafoam is a cleaner, I have seen what it did to the carbons in my throttle body and the oil in my crankcase. I put half a bottle in my 4 cylinder and drove on the freeway for 100 miles or an hour and a half. Before adding the seafoam the oil was still in good shape or yellow color. After 100 miles, I could feel my horsepower decrease because it was probably due to the breakdown of the motor oil, it was so degraded by the buildup. When I changed the oil, the oil was completely dark and thin.

According to its webpage, its best to use it right before you do your scheduled oil or tranny fluid change. It makes sense because you dont want to keep driving with all that dirty stuff seafoam washed back into your oil. It would probably be comparable to driving with dirty oil thats due for a change, and you know thats bad for the life of your car. So if your due for an oil change soon, you can add it. If your oil is still good, you can wait a little longer so you dont waste your good oil. But if you dont mind putting in work and doing another oil change long before its due, you can add it now and change it out soon.

I was just wondering if anyone had positive results with it in a bad tranny or power steering. Lucas is similar to seafoam in the sense you can add it to many oils. But I think its mainly to stop leaks and recondition old and worn gaskets. Seafoam on the other hand just cleans out the dirt builtup.
#7 Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior TN Member

Sorry for hijacking his thread, lol, so your saying that its good to add seafoam to your tranny and oil right before the change/flush, to get all the buildup out?

#8 Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
yep add it towards the end life of your oil to get all the buildup out, or add it when your fluid is still new and clean then you will have to do a premature fluid change b/c seafoam will clean all that gunk which will contaminate your good oil and turn it into bad oil. so dont leave it in long, if you add seafoam, you need to change it out soon. Just check the dipstick and look at your oil to see if its still clean or not after adding seafoam. That is the most obvious and simple indicator. If the oil is dirty, you need to change it out right? as simple as that.
#9 Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
4th Generation

with how many miles left would u say to put it in before the oil change? and can i just put it in before i change it and then put fresh oil and wait till 3,000 miles or do i have to do the 1500 mile change and then go back to the 3,000 mile oil change? thanks

2009 Camry SE V6 loaded
Mods: Borla Dual Exhaust with no resonator, K&N Intake, 5k HID headlights and 5k HID foglights, LED Tail lights, Complete interior leds, Ultra Racing Front Strut Bar, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, 20% tint, Rosen navigation system, 19 inch ASA GT1 wheels
#10 Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I put it in when my oil was 2000 miles old, so it wasnt very dark or dirty and still had a yellow tint to it. After adding seafoam in and ran the car for 100 miles, the oil was completely dark and thin, lossed its life or viscosity due to all the contaminants washed back into the oil. I didnt want to wait too close to the oil change because the oil would be too dirty by then in my opinion, because seafoam would add even more dirt to it so I was afraid driving with such dirty oil would harm my engine. Adding seafoam to the still good oil was my buffer to keep or protect the engine from running on oil thats too dirty.

According to many of the posters here, they do the 500, 1500k mile interval change etc. I guess they do that to completely flush out any remaining seafoam or dirt left in the motor. Seafoam didnt explicitly require that on their email to me, they just told me to change it out soon so your car wont run on dirty oil for too long or it can ruin the engine. After putting in fresh oil in my car, the oil was still fresh or yellow after 200 miles of driving so I didnt see the need to do the 500, 1500k interval just yet. I will keep monitoring the dipstick just in case and if it turns black when it hits 500 or 1500k, I will change it then. Why change it if its still clean in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)