What does P0770 code mean? Is this serious? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question What does P0770 code mean? Is this serious?

Hello,

I own a 2001 toyota camry, and recently a check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned up the transmission oil. After a week, the light came back on again, with the same code P0770.

I took it to the dealer for the 2nd time, they told me they couldn't find anything wrong, and that there were no shifting problems. And they told me to recheck this on next service to see if only one code would require further diagnosis.

What are your views on this?

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Former Toyota/ASE Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbiology View Post
Hello,

I own a 2001 toyota camry, and recently a check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned up the transmission oil. After a week, the light came back on again, with the same code P0770.

I took it to the dealer for the 2nd time, they told me they couldn't find anything wrong, and that there were no shifting problems. And they told me to recheck this on next service to see if only one code would require further diagnosis.

What are your views on this?

-Mike
When the computer generates PO770 it's trying to tell you that it is seeing a problem with the torque converter clutch lock-up engagement either not locking or releasing when it should. There is a shift solenoid that is commanded by the computer to direct hydraulic pressure through the valve body to the torque converter lock up clutch at certain speeds. The two most common problem areas with this code would be either dirty transmission fluid blocking flow to the clutch or a faulty solenoid valve.
When you say that they 'cleaned up' the fluid, what service did you have? A drain & fill would be pretty ineffective, as it doesn't replace close to the whole amount of fluid in the trans. If the torque converter was indeed performing normally when they test drove it, then you might have an intermittent problem with the valve.

-- Get him, boy....

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)