New Battery - Won't Start - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
LITG8R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
New Battery - Won't Start

My son left his '93 Camry key in the ACC position last night and the car would not start thios morning. He and a friend tried jumpstarting, but no luck. This afternoon, they bought a new battery but when they went to hook it up, the terminals were on the wrong side. Turns out the store sold them the wrong battery. So, they went back and got the correct battery and installed it. The door chime comes on, but the rest of the electrical components are dead and there is no crank at all. Could they have blown a fuse (if which ones?), fried the alternator or starter (or something else), or could something else be wrong? Car ran and started fine until this morning.

Thanks!

LITG8R
'07 LE, Black, ash leather, auto, XM, chrome exhaust tip, Sport Edition E3 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
How hard can it be?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I'm thinking fuses. Should check them all, and replace as needed.
#3 Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Official TN Member

Could be a fuse somewhere, but it almost sounds like a security system issue. There are lines that look like jumper cables w/ switches in the middle you can use to jumper the solenoid to see if it and the starter are functioning properly.
#4 Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by litg8r2001 View Post
He and a friend tried jumpstarting
Yikes! Yea, I'd try fuses, especially fusible links.

1995 Camry Wagon LE. 2.2 4cyl, 5S-FE, Auto, 187K
#5 Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Well i ahd a fried alternator fuse which sent no power out to the inside of the car but my car did start, so check you alternator fuse and other fuses associated with it and then try to replace the starter

99 5s w/ V6 '01 Solara Brake Conversion & 1985 AW11 MR2 5spd
Camry: Tokico Blue's w/ Ebiach Lowering Springs on Motegi FF7 17" Rims with FALKEN ALL SEASON SPORT TIRES
MR2: 7A-GE
FS: Gen 4.5 Clear lense/JVC HU&Radar
#6 Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Simpsons fan since 89'

Double check all your wiring and clean the terminals. Make sure all your wires are connected.

94' Camry V6 - Sold
96' Lexus SC400 - Crashed by brother
93' Lexus SC300 Turbo - Jackass ran a light and slammed into me
99' GS300 - Sold
02' Subaru WRX Turbo
#7 Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, i'd say check the terminals and terminal ends to make sure they're free of corrosion, check to make sure the battery is good under a load, and check all the fuses.

Whenever someone drops a car off at the shop and says they tried jump-starting and it wouldn't work, I always check the fuses first.
#8 Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
They must have been trying to install an Optima battery. I tried this, and nearly did the same thing. The way the Optima battery is built, the battery cables in the Camry are too short, and cause you to want to set the battery in the battery tray in a position that is reverse to what it should be ... if that makes sense. Anyway, a last minute check of the battery terminal polarity was all that kept me from damaging an '03 Camry .... It looks like it is the same set up on my '98. ... I think you actually have to install some longer battery cables to accommodate the installation of an Optima battery in any Camry.

98 Camry LE, 2.2L, automatic
54k miles, drop in K&N A/F, ... timing belt, water pump, NSS

Last edited by dc_98_cam; 10-04-2007 at 09:42 AM.
#9 Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
LITG8R

(Thread Starter)
USA

As an update, my son and I worked until 10:30 pm last night on the Camry. Turns out the Main 100 amp fuse was blown - all other fuses in both Junction Box 1 and 2 looked OK. According to the wiring diagram that I downloaded from TN, the door chime comes off the battery "upstream" of the main fuse, so that explains why that was the only functional electrical component. We installed a new 100 amp fuse from Autozone and when we went to start the engine, though, it cranks and cranks but won't turn over. Maybe he fried the starter or something when he tried jumping the car. Anyway, I had it towed to the local stealership and wait to hear from them.

LITG8R
'07 LE, Black, ash leather, auto, XM, chrome exhaust tip, Sport Edition E3 wheels
#10 Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM
TN Post Wh*re

This happens more frequently then you think. Toyota has 3 or more fuse boxes in this car, might have been another fuse.

Post back with the dealers findings.
#11 Old 10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
How hard can it be?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litg8r2001 View Post
As an update, my son and I worked until 10:30 pm last night on the Camry. Turns out the Main 100 amp fuse was blown - all other fuses in both Junction Box 1 and 2 looked OK. According to the wiring diagram that I downloaded from TN, the door chime comes off the battery "upstream" of the main fuse, so that explains why that was the only functional electrical component. We installed a new 100 amp fuse from Autozone and when we went to start the engine, though, it cranks and cranks but won't turn over. Maybe he fried the starter or something when he tried jumping the car. Anyway, I had it towed to the local stealership and wait to hear from them.
It can't be the starter if it's cranking the engine.
#12 Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia

A friend's brother did this on his 2002 Camry a couple months back, he called my friend who did this write-up... not sure how much applies to your model, but...

I found several fuses blown out which I replaced. But one fuse (120 amp alternator fuse) was a bit of a bear to remove. Clearly Toyota had no interest in making this fuse user serviceable. I had to remove the battery, completely remove the air intake plumbing and air box (thereby unplugging a rat's nest of vacuum hoses and sensor connections) unbolt the fuse box, release no less than 8 plastic clasps and open the bottom of the fuse box. Even doing all this, it was nearly impossible to invert the fuse box to access the 10 mm bolts that keep the 120 Amp fuse bolted in. I put everything back together and the car started right up, but the stability control/traction control light and check-engine light were on. I suspect that a code must have been triggered when the battery connections were reversed and the ECU needs to have those codes cleared. Not sure about the traction/stability control - I wonder if driving the car will clear those codes?

1994 Camry V6 XLE - Cashmere Beige (Totaled)
2002 Sequoia - White (Gone, and good riddance to the woman who drove it)
2012 Camry XLE - White
#13 Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Official TN Member

I'd check the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, etc.

I guess now you just gotta wait and see what the stealership wants to fix it.
#14 Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
LITG8R

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Update - the service manager says all the fuses are good, but there is an arc in the coil that was causing an insufficient amount of current to go through to start the car. So, they are installing a new coil tomorrow.

I told my son if he ever does this again, I'm giving the car to his sister.

LITG8R
#15 Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
nice to know that you found out the problem

99 5s w/ V6 '01 Solara Brake Conversion & 1985 AW11 MR2 5spd
Camry: Tokico Blue's w/ Ebiach Lowering Springs on Motegi FF7 17" Rims with FALKEN ALL SEASON SPORT TIRES
MR2: 7A-GE
FS: Gen 4.5 Clear lense/JVC HU&Radar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)