Final Answer? Castrol ATF - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)

3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View masteryota1's Photo Gallery
3rd Generation Final Answer? Castrol ATF

Ok, so i got the garage stocked now with oil, filters, transmission fluid. I do all my searches on TN. One last thing (actually 2 things, but other is minor) I went to store after reading manual saying my 1995 V6 camry uses DEX II ATF. Me being a noob, i looked for exactly that, till i asked ok which one of these 2 ATF fluids would be what I needed then was told DEX III replaced DEX II.

Ok so i originally picked up Castrol IMPORT MULTI–VEHICLE I figured hey i know it was made in America, but made by TOYOTA. But when i got to the counter I was told If i used dex III that i needed thet Multi-Vehicle Domestic version.

So i took the advice and thats what i purchased, in fact i got 6 bottles of it.

Now earlier in the week I was reading on this forum and read somebody who said they used the Import Vehicle on their Gen 3 or Gen 3.5 camry on a recent drain and fill.

Ok so I am reading my bottle of Domestic multi vehicle ATF AND IT mentions DEX III. but on their import multi vehicle it mentions Toyota nissan etc. and something called DEX III H, AND some other stuff

BEING new to this, I hate the idea of screwing up badly on my first time around at this. WHICH one is the correct fluid? do they both contain what is recommended? Should i say SCREW CASTROL period and just get something like valvoline that just says ATF on the bottle and dex III?

here is the link to castrol site with the info they list. SORRY FOR THE BOOK on such a simple subject

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7024042

Castrol Multi-vehicle Domestic

Castrol Mutli-vehicle Import

masteryota1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

bump
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kep
One with the force

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Kep's Photo Gallery
I don't have an answer for you. However, Castrol is offering both products so they should give you an unbiased opinion. There is a "Contact Us" tab at the top of that link that you gave us. Cut and paste your original post to them and see what they say. Post it back here. We'd be interested also.

Kep

Stock 1995 Camry, 5SFE, Sedan.
Kep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View wahed3001's Photo Gallery
I drained and refilled my AT with Valvoline dextron/mercon ATF. So far no hiccups.
wahed3001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4

View DFBonnett's Photo Gallery
OP,
Use the fluid that says Dexron III on the label.
DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Owner of much Obsolete

Gameroom cash: $436612
View Jeff Lange's Photo Gallery
I would stick with the Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF, it appears to basically be Dexron III with some additives. Import Multi-Vehicle ATF does say it meets Dexron III standards as well, but seems to be more tailored for the newer vehicles that use stuff like the Toyota Type T-series, etc, which is not what your transmission calls for.

2011 Lexus IS250 Obsidian "F-Sport 6MT" with LSD
1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $367650
Garage
View Tom 2000's Photo Gallery
I changed the transmission fluid in my Maxima last month. I bought 4 quarts of the Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF at Autozone, then realized I was 1 quart short after I drained it. The Schucks Auto Parts I went to only had the Castrol Domestic multi-vehicle ATF, so I bought it.

I've been driving my Maxima regularly since then and it shifts nice and smooth.

I bought 5 more quarts of the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF recently and plan to drain/refill the differential & the transmission on my Camry.

Both my Maxima and Camry call for just Dexron III (an older standard) and either the Castrol Import or Domestic Fluid should work just fine. If I had a newer late-model car that calls out for a higher standard like T-IV, then I'm sure I'll stick with the Import Multi-Vehicle ATF.

I did notice the import fluid was a little more at $3.99. The domestic fluid was $3.19

2004 Prius Touring Edition x2
2000 Camry LE - Lunar Mist Metallic

Last edited by Tom 2000; 01-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Tom 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
How hard can it be?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View BlueFusion6851's Photo Gallery
Thanks for finding this out, I'll definately use the Castrol Dextron III when I flush my transmission.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View BSteidle's Photo Gallery
Final Answer by Castrol US Employee

Hi masteryota 1 -

I am a Castrol US employee at our headquartes in Wayne, NJ. Dexron II is an older specification which has been replaced by several newer specs, including Dexron III and Dexron III H. Both Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF and Domestic Multivehicle ATF may be used in your vehicle, as they are both backwards serviceable to Dexron II.

Hope this helps!
BSteidle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteidle View Post
Hi masteryota 1 -

I am a Castrol US employee at our headquartes in Wayne, NJ. Dexron II is an older specification which has been replaced by several newer specs, including Dexron III and Dexron III H. Both Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF and Domestic Multivehicle ATF may be used in your vehicle, as they are both backwards serviceable to Dexron II.

Hope this helps!

THANKS, everybody glad to know i am not the only person who benefits from my off the wall questions lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)