How do I replace the 3rd brake light? (96 Camry) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How do I replace the 3rd brake light? (96 Camry)

The center high mounted tail light went out, and I'm not sure how to go about replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You need to remove the cover. You are supppose to be able to get the cover off from inside the car, but I have never been able to do that without fear of braking it. I found the best way to do this is to lay down inside the trunk and look up at the tangs that hold the cover on. You will see how to wiggle and push them up from the bottom. After that it is like changing any other bulb. If you have your owner's manual, the procedure should be in there. I think the bulb number is a 921, but I am not certain of that.

Mike
#3 Old 02-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Ninja-rator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
No, there is an easier way. It's something like pushing the cover down and pushing forward. Makes it loose and then you can just pull it up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RningOnFumes For This Useful Post:
eaglemtn (11-26-2013), sammijo1966 (10-20-2013)
#4 Old 02-24-2008, 05:11 PM
New TN User

After struggling for 15 minutes I read this post. Rningonfumes is correct. Push down on the cover and forward (towards the rear of the car). Then it lifts right off - very easy.

Thanks! I was loosing this battle.
#5 Old 10-20-2013, 12:59 AM
New TN User

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2 Liter. I found the CENTER STOP LAMP, as Toyota refers to it, difficult to remove because it was so tightly secured and there are no pictures to describe how to remove the plastic cover. For this reason I took digital photos for my future reference. The bulb is a 921 which is an 18 watt push-in, pull-out glass bulb, available at all auto parts stores and big box store auto parts depts, costing about $4 for package of 2 bulbs. To remove cover, (Toyota part no: 819770603E0), push cover towards rear window. While pushing towards rear view window carefully pry up back of cover (farthest away from rear window) with wide strong flat tool like a sturdy putty knife, flat pry bar, or large flat head screw driver. To give yourself confidence in removing the plastic (and therefore fragile) cover,which may be very snuggly secured, keep in mind the picture of the 2 plastic hooks that secure the cover to square rectangular holes inside the fixture. If necessary, manipulate cover side to side while pushing forward and prying it up from the back. Be prepared to use carefully controlled leverage of your prying tool. Be persistent in prying and manipulating the cover side to side, if necessary. Also, be patient. Once you remove cover you'll see first hand how it snaps on. Take digital photos for your future reference. Unfortunately I am not permitted to post attachments of my digital photos so I have linked to a 3 minute Youtube video of changing a light bulb on 2002 Toyota Camry LE, which is not exact but very similar to my 1995 Camry. See:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avk007 For This Useful Post:
ajkalian (10-20-2013), eaglemtn (11-26-2013)
#6 Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 AM
chuggin' along

Many thanks for this thread on replacing the high rear stop light. The owner's manual for my 1994 Camry sedan shows to just pull the cover towards the front of the car. After using reasonable force and making no headway, I decided to search the forum. This thread solved the problem! As mentioned, pushing the cover down and towards the rear and then prying up on the front bottom edge of the cover releases the cover. It does help to move it back and forth as you pry up on it (this tip was mentioned in an earlier post).

Last edited by eaglemtn; 12-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
#7 Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Official TN Member

NO doubt this thread will save me some future PITA moments. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)