How To Deactivate Driver's Air Bag - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Roylpope's Photo Gallery
How To Deactivate Driver's Air Bag

Need to deactivate the Wife's 2000 Camry driver's side air bag. She is 4'8" and a crash could kill her. When car was new all the local Toyota dealers and Toyota Corp. would not help and refused to deactivate the air bag. I have approval from the Federal government to unhook the air bag but could not find anyone who would do it for me.
So, how do I deactivate the air bag?
Need to get it done for her protection and before she has a crash.
Or, how do I convince Toyota to do it for me?
Thanks,
Roy
Roylpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View geoff5093's Photo Gallery
Isn't there a master fuse for the airbag? Or why not simply remove the steering column and disconnect the yellow airbag connector?

geoff5093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Gameroom cash: $478360
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View Eye8Pussies's Photo Gallery
I doubt that you can convince ANYBODY to do it for you regardless of approval from the government...possibility of civil suits and all...

and I would do what geoff said and just take the airbag off, then unclip the wire. OR There IS an SRS fuse...not sure where in the car, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. OR you can unclip the SRS computer which is located under the center console.

but regardless, unhooking ANY part of the SRS system will disable all the airbags in the car

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
Eye8Pussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
BANNED

View w203's Photo Gallery
how do you get the federal's approval to take out the airbag? they don't just give any verbal approval, usually a written one so just show toyota with it. since you're so far away can't do it for ya
w203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
The issue for the dealer is they cannot disconnect the airbag even with Fed approval. A switch must be available (from Toyota) to turn the airbag on and off. If available they might install it but don’t have any obligation.

Call Toyota customer service and ask if Toyota has a switch for this year of car that can turn the bag on and off. Tell them you have Fed approval to do this. Hopefully they should know about this situation given all the publicity, etc.

The problem with disconnecting the airbag system by a fuse, etc is the passengers will also be affected. If you just disconnect the drivers bag the SRS light will come on and disable the complete system. This is where the switch works because it just disconnects the effected bag.

Would think if all else fails with a little engineering skill you could make your own switch that simulates the air bag circuit.

The issue of disconnecting airbags for driver safety is nothing new, a Google search will turn up many hits.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

"how do you get the federal's approval to take out the airbag? they don't just give any verbal approval, usually a written one so just show toyota with it. since you're so far away can't do it for ya"

There is a form you fill out and send to the Feds (don't remember the name of the department). If you meet certain qualifications they approve it and send a written approval back. I have the written approval and have shown it to the Toyota dealer (good Ole Rusty Wallace Toyota) to no avail.

Seems strange to me Toyota is willing to let my wife die in the event of a crash so they can protect themselves from the lawyers and a potential buyer of my car when we sell it.

If I recall from when I initially looked into it, there are two power wires going to the driver's airbag. I could unhook them but then the instrument panel "airbag" warning light would stay on. There is also a potential for unintended activation if the airbag is not properly disconnected.

Will check on the switch availability and try Toyota Customer Service again to see what their response is this time.

Thanks and keep the suggestions/ideas flowing.
Roy
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kep
One with the force

View Kep's Photo Gallery
Following eye8pussies logic you may want to post a warning on the dash so any other driver would be less likely to sue you if they were injured without one.

Kep

Stock 1995 Camry, 5SFE, Sedan.
Kep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Got Snow?

Gameroom cash: $1462200
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
View 05Moose's Photo Gallery
Was doing a google search for someone else in the Tacoma forum and came across this thread. If you haven't had it disabled yet, the federal guidelines allow you to have a switch installed by Toyota if you have a medical waiver. People with certain medical conditions can't have an airbag hit them without causing more severe injuries which is why this rule is in there. I believe height/weight putting a driver too close to the steering wheel will also qualify. Where to start with that process though, I have no idea. Hope this info helps if you haven't gotten anywhere on this.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
05Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

You can get the form from:

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/...002fd17898RCRD

Good luck. I filled out the form, sent it in, and got approval to install a kill switch. Was never able to find a Toyota dealer who would do the job for me and Toyota Motor Company was not responsive either.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)