AT Transaxle Install, forgot to add fluid to Torque Converter - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
AT Transaxle Install, forgot to add fluid to Torque Converter

My son re-installed the engine/transmission before I got home (bless his heart) but did not know the torque converter had been drained. So, we did not get a chance to add a quart of fluid before reassembly.
Does anyone know if the transaxle can be filled and run to get fluid into the torque converter or will it have to be removed and filled before continuing?

Thanks for all the advice

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Woo Hoo!!

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
What year and engine do you have?

1997 Toyota Camry LE I4
@ 193,000 miles
#3 Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Official TN Member

check with the dealers service department...but I was under the impression the converter was "fed" by the transmission as it was driven...again, please double check!
#4 Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Kep
One with the force

Did you mean "torque converter" or "differential"? As far as I know the torque converter can't be drained (without a heck of a lot of disassembly). When the fluid is at the correct level on the dip stick (engine running, etc...) the torque converter is filled.

+1 on sbushnak ^

How did you drain the torque converter?

How many quarts of fluid were added after it was put back together?

Kep

Often, it's the loose screw between the steering wheel and the driver's seat that needs to be fixed first!

Stock 1995 Camry, 5SFE, Sedan.
#5 Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep View Post
Did you mean "torque converter" or "differential"? As far as I know the torque converter can't be drained (without a heck of a lot of disassembly). When the fluid is at the correct level on the dip stick (engine running, etc...) the torque converter is filled.

+1 on sbushnak ^

How did you drain the torque converter?

How many quarts of fluid were added after it was put back together?

Kep
The torque converter can be drained...you hold it with the input flange facing down, and giggle it back and forth - atf will come out in spurts.
#6 Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 AM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
^ werd

but usually it can't be drained 100% unless somebody has a lot of patience...

I would say that there is probably a decent bit of atf in there still, so just but running the car for a while, atf should get through the entire system including the TC

as for the differential, it'll depend on if it's a 4cyl or a v6

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
#7 Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
"What year and engine do you have"
The car is a '94 4 cylinder. But the transaxle is hand marked "'92".
The 4 cylinder from that year is a 5S-FE engine which the spec. show should be mated with a A140 transaxle.
I have not yet refilled it. The TC was taken off and drained when the tansaxle was removed. I drained it by flipping it around. So, it has had a large amount of fluid drained.
The question is if must be primed or can I slowly get fluid into the TC by refilling the transmission.
#8 Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Cool

The car is a '94 4 cylinder. (But the transaxle is hand marked "'92".)
The 4 cylinder from that year is a 5S-FE engine which the spec. show should be mated with a A140 transaxle.
I have not yet refilled it. The TC was taken off and drained when the tansaxle was removed. I drained it by flipping it around. So, it has had a large amount of fluid drained.
The question is if must be primed or can I slowly get fluid into the TC by refilling the transmission.

If I understand correctly, Eye8Pussies is saying he thinks it will have enough fluid. I'm still a little worried since the entire transaxle was drained. Also, what were you saying about the differential? I had both shafts out so the entire system was drained.
#9 Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog700 View Post
The car is a '94 4 cylinder. (But the transaxle is hand marked "'92".)

If I understand correctly, Eye8Pussies is saying he thinks it will have enough fluid. I'm still a little worried since the entire transaxle was drained. Also, what were you saying about the differential? I had both shafts out so the entire system was drained.
I was able to get 1quart out of my torque converter...my trannie was out last week.

I did not refill the torque converter, because I felt pretty strongly that it was "self fed"...I could be wrong, but the transmission is back together, and has been running well for the past 500 miles...

your transmission and differential use the same fluid, but are not "shared" So if you drain the trannie, and diff, you need to refill both - both are pretty easy to refill...I put 1.5 quarts of atf in my diff (basically until it poured from the top hole).

Hope this info helps
#10 Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepish_fixer View Post
I was able to get 1quart out of my torque converter...my trannie was out last week.

I did not refill the torque converter, because I felt pretty strongly that it was "self fed"...I could be wrong, but the transmission is back together, and has been running well for the past 500 miles...

your transmission and differential use the same fluid, but are not "shared" So if you drain the trannie, and diff, you need to refill both - both are pretty easy to refill...I put 1.5 quarts of atf in my diff (basically until it poured from the top hole).

Hope this info helps
Congrats on your replacement! Just sharing - when I did mine, I did not try too hard to drain the converter, but when turned upside-down and sideways nothing would come out of it. There was definitely fluind in it though. I actually wanted to remove the old fluid but could not figure out how, so I just drained as much as would come out by just turning it to its side/or upside down and tried to syphon out from the middle with a big suction thingy. When I reassembled, I did not add more fluid to prime it first as I felt it would spill during insallation and it already had enough inside that just did not come out in the first place.

The transmission feeds it, but I had to add fluid to top-up a couple of times till I reached the right level when hot. The car initially would not shift into gear before I had sufficient level in the tranny (kind of hard to read the level on the dipstick initially, as the fill tube is wet with oil and it masks a good reading till the level settles down).

Last edited by kocho; 04-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.
#11 Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Kep
One with the force

OK, so you actually removed the torque converter and emptied it. The transaxle install directions say:

TRANSAXLE INSTALLATION
1. INSTALL TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH IN TRA–
NSAXLE
If the torque converter clutch has been drained and
washed, refill with new ATF.
Fluid Type:
ATF DEXRON

If you want to do it by the book you should fill it before mounting the transaxle.

Curiously, later, (after the transmission is mounted and ready to use) it says that you fill the transmission with 5.9 quarts. The odd thing is that it only takes about 2 quarts if you just drop the pan. I always thought the extra 4 quarts went to fill the torque converter. Go figure.

Don't know what would happen if you didn't fill the TC before mounting.

Kep

Often, it's the loose screw between the steering wheel and the driver's seat that needs to be fixed first!

Stock 1995 Camry, 5SFE, Sedan.

Last edited by Kep; 04-22-2008 at 02:52 PM.
#12 Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
sheepish_fixer
I agree the torque converter receives fluid from the rest of the transmission. Not knowing how it all works and seeing the notes about filling it during a re-installation, I was concerned that it needed to be loaded with enough fluid; (in case the design was such that fluid could not move into the TC easily if there is too much air or if it was needed to keep the pump primed or ... )
Thanks for the confirmation that you were able to run fine after removing about a quart (same here) without refiling on assembly.
The manual says the dry fill for the transaxle is 5.9 quarts and the differential is 1.7 quarts.
For the differential I assume you say it is not "shared" since the fluid does not flow from one directly to the other; although they are both filled from the same dip stick, right? Or is the differential only filled from it's drain hole?

Thanks for the help
#13 Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog700 View Post
sheepish_fixer

The manual says the dry fill for the transaxle is 5.9 quarts and the differential is 1.7 quarts.
For the differential I assume you say it is not "shared" since the fluid does not flow from one directly to the other; although they are both filled from the same dip stick, right? Or is the differential only filled from it's drain hole?

Thanks for the help
They have different fill holes, and drain holes. Your trannie dipstick fills the transmission. your differential fill hole is a nut located midway up the rear dif case housing. If you are behind the engine and trannie, and draw an imaginary line from the axle inputs (right to left) the differential fill hole is at the same level as the axles, smack in the middle of the diff case.

My guess is, you have not drained your differential fluid...because draining the transmission will not empty the diff...you may not need to drain it, but it's such an easy job, especially with the engine out, that you might as well.
#14 Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Congrats on your replacement!

I wanted to say thanks for your pictures - I stopped what I was doing twice to go inside and view your photos...very helpful.

Overall, not a hard job...just a lot of steps. I think you dropped your trannie down - I pulled mine up with the engine attached. I'm sure there are pros and cons on both...I did not like the idea of removing the subframe, and the engine and trannie cleared the car very easily.
#15 Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the differential drain / fill heads up. I'll look for it.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)