HELP! Ignition Key Won't Turn!! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View xxswat718xx's Photo Gallery
4th Generation HELP! Ignition Key Won't Turn!!

Hey guys. Haven't posted in a while. I need some help/advice ASAP. As of late, when I go to start up my Camry, the ignition gives me issues. It's as if I'm using the wrong key or something, then after a few tries it'll start right up. Yesterday after work, I was stuck in the parking lot for 20 - 30 mins trying to start this. Now this morning I get in and it won't budge. I was out there for about an hour. The furthest I got was getting the radio and clock to come on (think it's "ON" position). I couldn't get that again anyway.

This, at the moment, is my main means of trans. So any advice you guys can dish out is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
w00! I drive a Camry

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View CamBOT's Photo Gallery
This usually happens when you LOCK the steering wheel. To lock a steering wheel you take your key out and turn the wheel to one side until it locks. This is supposed to prevent thieves from driving away your car after they hot wire it.

When your steering is locked the key wont go past ACC. To start the car turn the wheel left/right while turning the key. You'll have to push it left and right to get the wheel to unlock while you're turning the key.

If you arent locking the wheel its possible that the locking feature is enabling by it self. (turning the steering wheel while the key is out)

Try what i've said and let us know.

CamBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View xxswat718xx's Photo Gallery
I'll give this a try as I've tried afew other things already. I stumbled upon another random forum and read I should try wd-40, tapping the key in, and or turning the steering wheel "like crazy". None have worked so far Think replacing the ignition (cylinder) would remedy this? I think I found the part :

http://www.autozone.com/N,16200190//...eResultSet.htm

and I've got a family friend that could install it almost free. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View omegahaze's Photo Gallery
1997 Toyota Camry Key Wont turn, Ignition Lock problem -1997 toyota camry FIXED!!! I see a lot of Douches with a capital D trying to charge people to fix this extremely common issue with this Camry ignition cylinder. OK pull the plastic guard off encasing the steering column. Get a phillips head screwdriver and remove the 2 screws holding the little off-white connector at the rear of the module(it has the wires to the ignition running to it). Get a pair of pliers or a small crescent wrench and while trying to turn the key use the wrench to turn the little rod sticking out of the back of the module. Make sure your turning it WITH the direction the key is trying to turn it. It should immediate be freed. Voila IT WORKS! AND THATS WHY PEOPLE DONT TRUST MECHANICS! HOW CAN YOU CHARGE SOMEONE FOR THAT INFO?

Last edited by omegahaze; 04-25-2012 at 05:21 PM.
omegahaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)