1994 Camry V6 Check Engine Light - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1994 Camry V6 Check Engine Light

I've got the returning check engine light and Toyota can't seem to find the issue. I'm hoping someone here can help. Initial code was P0130 B1S1 and had Toyota replace the O2 sensor. Light went off for a day. Took it back, popped the same code. Toyota installed a new O2 sensor. Code didn't go away and they disconnected the battery to turn off the light. A week later, light is back on showing the same code. Toyota has had my car for two days now and is checking wiring, computer... taking it apart and they still have no idea. Shouldn't the dealership be able to fix this??? Does anyone here have anything I can suggest to the service department?
Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Well, I'd 1st ask them if they checked to make sure no wires were broken (Wire from ECU to Sensor). If they did not do that, they are one crappy dealer, and go somewhere else.

Where are you located?

My Camry: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228043...y-xle-sedan-4d
'96 Camry: 2MZ
'95 AE101: JDM Tails/Grill/BiXenon Headlights. JDM Lighted Ignition Keyring and Cabin Air Filter
#3 Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'll ask them about the ECU wiring. Funny thing is I had the passenger side door wiring harness replaced in March. The check engine light started coming on /going off in April. On full time by mid July. Finally decided to take it to the dealership here in Burlington, NC first of August. Nobody else around here can scan the thing because it's so old. Welcome to dinksville... I went nuts last time I picked the car up because it had greasy hand prints all over the fender and trunk. Very unprofessional. I was assured it won't happen again. Anyway, not the best group, but I'm limited in what I can do here.
#4 Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
TN Post Wh*re

BTW, your car is the 1st year Toyota used OBD2. And one of the 1st cars in the US to have it. You have the NEW technology. You just need an OBD2 reader to read the CEL. Most people (even auto places) think the '94 Camry has OBD1, but they are wrong. http://search.ebay.com/search/search...der&category0=

As for the door harness, THAT is normal on our cars, both front R and L doors. And that has nothing to do with the O2 sensor wiring just as an FYI.

'95 AE101: JDM Tails/Grill/BiXenon Headlights. JDM Lighted Ignition Keyring and Cabin Air Filter

Last edited by ASG14; 08-21-2008 at 02:09 PM.
#5 Old 08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
You've got to be kidding me... The ONLY reason I took it to the dealer was my usual repair guy swore up and down I had to have it read by Toyota (and that my car was OBDI). It was manufactured in 1993 and is one of the first produced. Would that have any bearing on which OBD it has? Where is the plug for the OBDII? Guy I work with has one and I'd love to plug it in to see what I get. Thanks for the info.
I just thought it ironic that the wiring harness went out followed by this. I'm always suspicious. You just never know these days...
#6 Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humid1 View Post
You've got to be kidding me... The ONLY reason I took it to the dealer was my usual repair guy swore up and down I had to have it read by Toyota (and that my car was OBDI). It was manufactured in 1993 and is one of the first produced. Would that have any bearing on which OBD it has? Where is the plug for the OBDII? Guy I work with has one and I'd love to plug it in to see what I get. Thanks for the info.
I just thought it ironic that the wiring harness went out followed by this. I'm always suspicious. You just never know these days...
The '94 V6 was the first model with OBD II, but the 4 Cylinder did not receive OBD II till '96.

The OBD II connector is behind the change pocket on the left side of the steering wheel.
#7 Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 AM
TN Post Wh*re

^ Thanks for adding the V6 vs I4. I forgot to say that.

every 1MZ-FE engine since day 1 that I know of has had OBD2. And code P0130 IS an OBD2 code. OBD1 codes are just numbers. You read it based on the number of blinks the CEL makes in sequence. And for that, you only need to stick a paper clip int he diagnostic port to toch 2 connectors.

Also, just as Justin said, the port is behind the change tray.

#8 Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what Toyota finally decides. Day three now...
#9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here's the final from Toyota... they replaced the front and rear 02 sensors. Still had the P0130 B1S1 (third new front O2, first rear O2). Tried to reset with their plug-in, couldn't clear. Drove the car 63 miles, wouldn't clear. Checked all wires, connections, etc. Finally pulled a computer from another '94 V6 XLE and were able to clear the code. They were stumped and said they had never seen anything like this before. I don't think this was the main computer, but one that handles the emissions. Does this sound right? They were working behind the glove box. At any rate, we'll see how it goes. After the initial charge, they haven't asked me to spend a dime. They just asked that I buy another Toyota when it's time. I guess that depends on how long the light stays off!!! Thanks again for the info.
#10 Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Wow, what a bunch of moron's.........It's the main ECU, and yes, I have heard of things liek that before.

So they tried to "clear" the code, but the CEL light NEVER went off?

#11 Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
You don't think they screwed up the ecu trying to "fix" my Camry do you? They "pulled" this replacement part (not the two new sensors)off another V6 Camry they just happened to have on the lot. I think something stinks here, but not sure I can do much. I always thought an ecu replacement was pretty high dollar stuff and just assumed it might be something that worked with the ecu. Think I'll still have problems? I hope that since they finally cleared the code it's resolved. Nothing like not having a lot to choose from for your repairs. Caught in a bind.

Drove a silver 2009 Scion xB after picking up my Camry. Sweet ride, but the wife said it's foogly. I'd drive the snot out of one.
#12 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
TN Post Wh*re

No, I don;t think they screwed you, I just think they are fucking morons.

Thats assuming when they reset the CEL, it stayed on. Thats the important part.

The CEL does not instantly go on the second you turn the car on from a bad O2 sensor. So if they turned ont he car and the CEL was still on, right there tells me it;s an Electical issue, and to check the ECU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)