1999 Camry LE Brake Job Cost - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View anselmo1's Photo Gallery
1999 Camry LE Brake Job Cost

I was told at the dealership that I needed new front rotors and pads and rear brake shoes on my 1999 Camry LE. I was quoted a price of $711.00 which I feel is quite high. The last inspection, I was told I had 30% left on the front and less than 20% left on the drums and that was this past June. Total mileage on my Camry is 31024.

I contacted the AAA auto repair service (owned by AAA) and they quoted me $477.00 plus tax. Why the big difference outside of Toyota utilizing OEM parts?

My question is, what should I be paying?
anselmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
31024 miles, is this your first brake job? Do you have some brake measurements beside percentage? Rotor thickness, pad and shoe thickness?

N.E.O.

Last edited by new echo owner; 09-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

This is the first brake job. The dealership told me the rotars were warped and the pads were less than 30%. The shoes had less than 20% left. This is all that they told me.

Last edited by anselmo1; 09-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
You should get some actual measurements instead of just percentage numbers. Having actual measurement would help more than just percentage numbers, since percentage numbers varies from person to person, and pad thickness differs from model to model.

Even if the rotors are warped, there may be material enough on the rotors for them to be resurfaced to correct the warpage concern without replacement. By the way, do you have pulsation or vibration concern when you put on your brakes?

N.E.O.

Last edited by new echo owner; 09-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $425855
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
I find all of this highly suspicious. I can see you needing front brakes at 31,000 miles. Most people need fronts at around 40,000 miles, so 31,000 miles is a bit early but not that much out of the ordinary. Needing rear pads on a rear Toyota drum brake sytem is what I find suspicious. The rear drum brakes usually last twice as long as the front disc brakes, since the front brakes do about 75% of the stopping. I suggest you get another inspection and opinion before committing to anything.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Gameroom cash: $874253
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View BMR's Photo Gallery
The MSRP for Toyota OEM front pads is ~$50 for the set, the rotors are ~$100 each, and the rear shoes are ~$50 for a set. So the parts total is ~$300 to replace what you said. So they're charging about $400 for labor. That sounds very high. Even I could replace all that in an hour, maybe two, tops. With a typical shop rate of $90/hour, the labor should be $200 at most.

I agree with everything Mike G. said; get another shop to look at it before you commit.

And NEO is right about resurfacing the rotors, which should cost about $15 each. I'd be very surprised if there was not enough thickness left in them to do it.

So to answer your question, if Toyota OEM pads and shoes are used, and the rotors are resurfaced instead of replaced, the job should cost ~$230. $330 at most.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

I have always felt that the service department at the dealership where I bought the car new was a little unscrupulous in their dealings. Bought my wife's new 2009 Corolla S at a different dealership for that exact reason.

Next step, I will take the car to the new Toyota dealership and see what they say. I do want OEM parts on my Camry though.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Just make sure you ask for the measurements.

N.E.O.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Gameroom cash: $157695
View ghettosled's Photo Gallery
im with everyone else here. its strange that you need a brake job already after only 31k miles. especially new brake shoes and rotors. i bought my camry used and literally tonight just did its first brake job since ive owned it (its been about 50k miles plus how much the previous owner drove since their last brake job).
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Gameroom cash: $874253
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View BMR's Photo Gallery
Yeah 31k is awfully quick. I get about 60k on front pads. I had to go check my maintenance log on the rear pads (got disks in the rear). I changed them for the first time at 145k, and haven't since. When I was replacing the rear wheel bearings recently, they looked fine.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $485376
Garage
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
View RichieRichJP's Photo Gallery
WOW that is EXPENSIVE!! Just like everyone else said, that's pretty hard to believe that much wear could happen to all of those components with on 30K. Unless you drive like an asshole and slam your brakes all the time, then maybe I could see that being possible
Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Well, for a nine year old car with only 31k, I would have to conclude that it doesn't go on the highway or long trip much. So it was probably used for short hops or in city/town driving, which would have involved with lots of braking, in that sense 9yrs/31k, it isn't too bad.

N.E.O.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $485376
Garage
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
View RichieRichJP's Photo Gallery
^How does age play a factor of wear on a brake pad or rotor? It's purely useage
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
What I was looking at is the fact that after 9yrs, the car still has only 31k, which is very low mileage. So I make an assumption that the car may not have seen the highway very often. I may be wrong in this case, but in town/city driving may involve heavy brake usage hence brake pad wear.

As I had, in an earlier post, indicated that the rotors might not need to be replaced even if they are warped; however, without measurements I can't say.

N.E.O.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

USA

We have three cars, 2008 RAV 4 Limited, 2009 Toyota Corolla S and the 1999 Camry LE. I drive the Camry very little and just around time maybe three times a week.

I do not brake or drive with my foot on the brake like a lot of others I see. Pretty sure that the selling dealer was trying to make a quick $700.00. I will check around for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)