Replacing valve cover gasket - anything else? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Kisuke in rain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Replacing valve cover gasket - anything else?

Hey guys,

I plan on replacing my valve cover gasket along with the spark plug gaskets hopefully this coming weekend, due to the fact that there are some oil spots in certain areas around these. I picked up both today.

While I have the valve cover off I was just curious as to whether there are some other things I should pay attention to that may need to be replaced?

Just to make sure; I don't need to use RTV sealant for it correct?

Also, would Seafoam Deep Creep be sufficient in cleaning the valve cover off?

Sorry for all the seemingly easy questions, but I just wanted to double check with you guys before I tackled this, as I've never done it before. Thanks in advance

1992 Toyota Camry LE 5SFE 4 cyl. 2.2L
A.K.A. "Ron Burgundy"
198,000 mi. (as of February 9th, 2010) and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Nothing else you need to do, except change the PCV valve if needed. Use RTV on the corners of where the cam's are (both sides of the buldge). I don;t know how to describe it better, and brain is mush right now

Don't need to clean off the valve cover

My Camry: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228043...y-xle-sedan-4d
'96 Camry: 2MZ
'95 AE101: JDM Tails/Grill/BiXenon Headlights. JDM Lighted Ignition Keyring and Cabin Air Filter
#3 Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 AM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The gaskets will compress when you tighten the spark plug tube nuts. Re-torgue the spark plug tube nuts until the torque stabilizes.
#4 Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 AM
all my heros are evil

Good luck with it! Wish mine were as easy. Being the V6 not sure I want to try doing it myself. Afraid I'll screw something up removing the plenum as I'd change out the spark plugs while at it.

What brand of gaskets did you get? Not sure which way to go. Seems south of the border they're a lot cheaper, starting at $32 for the V6 and going as high as $72 [here there pushing $80] but haven't checked out the dealerships here nor there yet. Just curious on what is the better way to go with them.
#5 Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 1,000 Times in 888 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
While you're in there, you could check cam/valve clearances.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 367k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 309k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#6 Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
just a nobody

How about the distributor o-ring? Don't forget the cam plugs. Are you making repairs because of an oil leak?

N.E.O.
#7 Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Noob

I've been wanting to take it off to see if I have sludge, since my dad owned the car for the first 110k miles and I don't think he did his oil changes as religiously as I think he should've.

But the car runs fine, and there's no oil leaking (which happens to a lot of ppl for some reason), so i've been running along the lines of "don't fix what aint broken"

1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 - 139xxx 162xxx
2000 Toyota Sienna XLE 3.0 - 82xxx 104xxx

08/08 08/11
#8 Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 AM
just a nobody

The earlier 5sfe didn't have much problem with sludge like the 97 and later ones. If it is not leaking oil, that is a good sign.

N.E.O.
#9 Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Kisuke in rain

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the responses guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG14 View Post
Nothing else you need to do, except change the PCV valve if needed.
I just called the stealership and the PCV valve would be $11 + tax so I ordered it just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
What brand of gaskets did you get? Not sure which way to go. Seems south of the border they're a lot cheaper, starting at $32 for the V6 and going as high as $72 [here there pushing $80] but haven't checked out the dealerships here nor there yet. Just curious on what is the better way to go with them.
Are you talking $32-$72 for just the valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets or both?

I got:
OEM valve cover gasket for $16.05 total
and
OEM spark plug gaskets (4) for $17.53 total ($4.03/each)

The guy gave me a bit of a break on the spark plug gaskets since he told me the wrong price when I asked before. I think they would've originally cost ~$6 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
How about the distributor o-ring? Don't forget the cam plugs. Are you making repairs because of an oil leak?

N.E.O.
The distributor o-ring I'll probably end up changing as well for peace of mind. It's $5 + tax at the dealer so I'll probably get it when picking up the PCV valve. Yeah, there's a little bit of oil that's been on the valve cover on either side as well as near one of the spark plug boots if I remember correctly, however, nothing seemingly major as it's never actually "leaking" per se. More of a very, very slow ooze? I'll get some pictures of the areas I'm talking about and post them later if the rain ever stops. Thanks again everyone.

EDIT: I just looked up the paperwork from the previous owner and realized that the PCV valve was replaced in June 2006 so since it's recommended to be replaced every 60k miles/48 months I probably won't replace it, although I'll test it just in case.

1992 Toyota Camry LE 5SFE 4 cyl. 2.2L
A.K.A. "Ron Burgundy"
198,000 mi. (as of February 9th, 2010) and counting

Last edited by Mazeraski; 10-02-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: PCV valve
#10 Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
all my heros are evil

From what they say, the kits include both valve cover gaskets, as well as the ones for the spark plugs. The one at $72 has another set of gaskets as well the others don't have, just can't remember which off the top of my head.

Have to change my oil assembly o-ring this weekend which is where my oil leak issues is. The front valve cover seems ok, but the back one may be seeping. Just not sure. Want to change out the spark plugs anyway as well, so figure pull the covers to see how the engine is underneath and such. Not sure if it's seeping anywhere else, but the front assembly is the worst, espedfcially when it kits the damn manifold. Need to backflush the heater core as well, or I"ll freeze this winter!
#11 Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM
1994 5S-FYOU!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
3rd Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
The earlier 5sfe didn't have much problem with sludge like the 97 and later ones. If it is not leaking oil, that is a good sign.

N.E.O.

Mine leakes a VERY small amount of oil, but seemingly only when the car is warm.

So if I take it out for a 15+ min drive and come back I'll see one or two tiny tiny spots of dried up oil, as if it only leaked right when I got home and then once it cooled off it stopped?

Any clues on what that could be?

USAF
#12 Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
just a nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamry94 View Post
Mine leakes a VERY small amount of oil, but seemingly only when the car is warm.

So if I take it out for a 15+ min drive and come back I'll see one or two tiny tiny spots of dried up oil, as if it only leaked right when I got home and then once it cooled off it stopped?

Any clues on what that could be?
That will depend very much on where you see the oil drops; where is the location of the oil drop relative to the driver's seat?

N.E.O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)