'93 v6 ignition timing question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
'93 v6 ignition timing question

Hi all,
I have a '93 V6 3VZ engine and want to check the timing. The shop manual says I should use "#4 high tension wire" for timing. I presume this to mean the #4 plug wire. I've never heard of this before! I though all engines base ignition timing from #1 plug.

Should I be using #4 or #1 plug for checking timing?
Thanks,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Official TN Member

3rd Generation Use #1 cylinder for ignition timing

Hey there greg,
use the #1 cylinder for checking/adjusting the ignition timing. This is the rear cylinder on the far left while looking under the hood, and facing the fire wall. (Closest to the wiper motor). Warm the engine to normal operating temp, and shut it off. Place a jumper across T1 and TE1 of the Data link connector under the hood, and re-start the engine. The check engine light and O/D off light should flash at a steady rate, and the idle may seem a little low and rough (this is normal). point your timing light down at the timing marks and read where they are. The proper timing for this engine is 10 deg. advanced (BTDC). Adjust the timing by rotating the distributer left or right a little at a time until the desired timing is reached. NOTE: There are 2 distributer hold down bolts on the distributer. one toward the front of the car and one at the bottom toward the transmission-this one is hard to see, so you will have to "feel" the wrench over the head of the bolt. re-check the timing after you completely tighten the distributer as it may shift while tightening. with the engine running, point your timing light at the timing marks then watch the timing advance to approx. 20 deg. or more when you remove the jumper from T1 and TE1 of the data link connector. you will notice the idle come up and smooth out. FYI: If you want to improve the performance of your Camry, try setting the ignition timing to 20 deg. advance (BTDC) instead of 10 deg. You should notice a considerable improvement in overall performance, Though you will HAVE to burn HIGHER OCTANE pump gas, Supreme or Premium grade. (This is necessary to prevent Pre-ignition, which CAN damage your engine) Pre-ignition will make a "tinkering" sound most noticable under hard acceleration or heavier loads such as climbing hills or while passing. Pre-ignition CAN damage your engine, so be carefull. I have a '93 v-6 Camry 3VZ-FE, and I have run mine at 22 deg. advanced for a year now, (Premium ONLY, running regular pump gas is no longer possible) and all is well.....BUT DO SO at YOUR OWN RISK!
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
agreed. usually the timing is set as conservative as 7-8 degrees. i suggest setting to 16-17 degrees advance and lean the AFM cog 2-3 clicks. Premium is a must though

93 Lexus ES300 5spd I/E URFSB URRSB

01 Toyota Avalon TFSB, Weapon-R, Whiteline, Fogs
#4 Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub215 View Post
agreed. usually the timing is set as conservative as 7-8 degrees. i suggest setting to 16-17 degrees advance and lean the AFM cog 2-3 clicks. Premium is a must though
Air Fuel Mixture cog?...2-3 clicks?...does this apply to '93 Camry v-6 3vz-fe?...Please..enlighten me.
#5 Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
just a nobody

You can use #4 plug wire because it is easier to get to them #1, it is exactly 180 degree opposite to #1 cylinder on the distributor, so the timing mark would be the same as #1 cylinder. And it is the companion cylinder to #1, the forth in the firing order, both pistons are on TDC at the same time, one is at the end of its compression stroke while the other is at the beginning of its intake stroke.

N.E.O.

Last edited by new echo owner; 01-06-2009 at 12:21 AM.
#6 Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 AM
engineer in training

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by camry6 View Post
Air Fuel Mixture cog?...2-3 clicks?...does this apply to '93 Camry v-6 3vz-fe?...Please..enlighten me.
Only the 3vz has a flap type airflow meter so yes.

Search for Toysrmes cheap mod series and you will find instructions for adjusting the AFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I mod my Camry because I am too cheap to go out and buy a real sports car
1992 Camry XLE v6: p&p + 3angle, CAI, y pipe, K-Sport coilovers, 5-speed swap
1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: IPT 3700 restall, DSMlink v3, HKS exhaust, ETS street fmic kit
#7 Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys!
#8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Official TN Member

Subscribing.

Roach
#9 Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
ex tech, new driver

Odd timing

Had to replace the front main seal and water pump. I had moved everything while trying to take off the front pulley. Like some other post, I had multiple white out marks and half wiped off. I set the cams to the marks and lined up TDC on the 0 mark. After putting everything back together, it starts up fine. It does run rough and I hit the stops when trying to adjust the timing. I can not adjust it any further. I have looked at the marks and they still look good. Any ideas?

93 Camry V6 3.0 224K+ miles, at least 3rd hand gonna tinker on this for a while
#10 Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Maybe the timing belt is off a tooth on the rear bank's exhaust cam? That one drives the dizzy, so maybe that's why you're running out of spark timing adjustment??? Just a wild guess.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 366k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 309k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#11 Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
engineer in training

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
The cam cogs have to go in a certain way, one faces out the other faces in if that makes any sense. If you are off a few teeth which is likely, the distributor will not have enough adjustment to set the ignition timing. You need to recheck the cam gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I mod my Camry because I am too cheap to go out and buy a real sports car
1992 Camry XLE v6: p&p + 3angle, CAI, y pipe, K-Sport coilovers, 5-speed swap
1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: IPT 3700 restall, DSMlink v3, HKS exhaust, ETS street fmic kit
#12 Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 AM
ex tech, new driver

Cam Cogs

Funny you mentioned that. I had reversed them on first assembly, left and right banks, and had to swap them out. Seems they rub hard against the belt cover if they are wrong. I will take it apart again and check, thanks.

93 Camry V6 3.0 224K+ miles, at least 3rd hand gonna tinker on this for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)