98 Camry V6 XLE - Oxygen Sensor Problem (Code:P0135) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4th Generation 98 Camry V6 XLE - Oxygen Sensor Problem (Code:P0135)

I had my check engine light on. When I got it checked @ autozone it popped up an error code P0135 saying " malfunction exists in the heater circuit for oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1"

Explanation: The computer has recognized a failure in this circuit. Probable causes are:
1.Oxygen sensor defective
2.Poor connection at oxygen sensor
3.Check circuit-fuse.

I believe that the oxygen sensor is defective and I need to replace it. I have been driving with this condition for almost 10 months. Will this affect my engine badly.

Please guide as to what sensor to use and how to replace. When I see the parts in autozone online I get 2 brands Bosch and Denso. Sometimes it says "2 required one at each exhaust manifold" and sometimes it says nothing as in the case of Denso.

How many sensors I need to replace actually? And please guide me as to how to replace it. I mean I wont do it myself. I will take it to a mechanic but I need to tell him where to look for. I've read the posts in the forum. They give directions. But how exactly? Has any got any pictures? And please, how many sensors I need to buy? 1 or 2?

Help is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
TN's Mad Chemist

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Well, here is my advice,
I had the S1B1 sensor malfuntion earlier this year on my car so I can give you advice There are 3 sensors, one is right in front of you as soon as you open the hook, the other is the sensor you are referring to, S1B1, it between the engine and the firewall, the third one is under the car after the catalic converter. My advice, get Denso, none of the Bosch stuff. My thinking is, if it came with the car and it's lasted that long , then I should replace it with the same thing... Bosch tends to be found on European cars rather than japanese cars. You should be able to change the obvious one very easily, the other 2 require raising the car and changing from the bottom. Autozone will loan you the tool for free, so I'd say go for it, just give yourself some time. Don't think this is a 10 minute job. This ain't no oil change. My recommendation is to change all three on the basis that if one started malfunctioning, the others must be nearing that point as well...

1995 Toyota Camry V6 LE-6M1 250K Miles, Fun Car
1997 Acura RL-Gone
2007 Acura RL SH-AWD, Technology Package, Opulent Blue Pearl- Fun Car/Daily Driver
#3 Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
TN User

(Thread Starter)
Appreciate your reply ProjectVertex

But my question is when I try to order the oxygen sensor from autozone (S1B1) it says "Denso oxygen sensor federal standards before catalytic converter - need 2 one at each exhaust manifold". What does that mean? Do I need to buy 2 oxygen sensors or 1? which is "Sensor 1 Bank 1" ? The one between the engine and the firewall? If so, how many sensors that need? one or two?

I am sorry but I am not much of a techie guy.

Thank You
#4 Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think ProjectVertex may be incorrectly telling his experience with the 4-cylinder version.

In your V6 1MZFE, the Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the "Right Bank" sensor near the firewall, before the catalytic converter (called "Upstream"). Even though you need 1, the other two may not be far behind.

Denso is the only choice thus far for "upstream" sensors, although Bosch, as a redistributor in addition to the First-Tier manufacturer, reboxes the Denso sensor because of the low Toyota V6 production volume. Just get the Denso, it's cheaper in many such cases.

The "downstream" sensor is just a traditional heated sensor. I'd recommend Bosch #13353 Planar type that's more resistant to contamination if the time comes. The rule is to get a planar whenever available.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...nsors/PlanarO2

Downstream sensor for all (Calif or non-Calif), $82.89+shipping:
http://info.rockauto.com/Bosch/Detail.html?13353.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baber View Post

But my question is when I try to order the oxygen sensor from autozone (S1B1) it says "Denso oxygen sensor federal standards before catalytic converter - need 2 one at each exhaust manifold". What does that mean? Do I need to buy 2 oxygen sensors or 1? which is "Sensor 1 Bank 1" ? The one between the engine and the firewall? If so, how many sensors that need? one or two?

Thank You
#5 Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
イリジウム

Look on the underside of the Hood for the Emissions decal. It will tell you if you have a CALIFORNIA standard or Non-California standard. New York and Massettusetts also use Calif standard.

You have to select accordingly, basically Calif or Non-Calif.

I'd replace one at a time unless your emissions test is getting to the upper limit. Saves $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baber View Post

Thank You
#6 Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thank You John GD - Appreciate your detailed response and help. Shall do accordingly.
#7 Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
TN's Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
I think ProjectVertex may be incorrectly telling his experience with the 4-cylinder version.

In your V6 1MZFE, the Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the "Right Bank" sensor near the firewall, before the catalytic converter (called "Upstream"). Even though you need 1, the other two may not be far behind.

Denso is the only choice thus far for "upstream" sensors, although Bosch, as a redistributor in addition to the First-Tier manufacturer, reboxes the Denso sensor because of the low Toyota V6 production volume. Just get the Denso, it's cheaper in many such cases.

The "downstream" sensor is just a traditional heated sensor. I'd recommend Bosch #13353 Planar type that's more resistant to contamination if the time comes. The rule is to get a planar whenever available.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...nsors/PlanarO2

Downstream sensor for all (Calif or non-Calif), $82.89+shipping:
http://info.rockauto.com/Bosch/Detail.html?13353.JPG
Mine was a 1MZ-FE as well....

1997 Acura RL-Gone
2007 Acura RL SH-AWD, Technology Package, Opulent Blue Pearl- Fun Car/Daily Driver
#8 Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 PM
TN's Mad Chemist

Please refer to my earlier post, I clearly stated S1B1 is between the firewall and the engine...

1997 Acura RL-Gone
#9 Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Darkside Cut Me!!!

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Look here:

Bank 1 Sensor 1 removal V6

2004 RX330 Sport
2003 Cam I4 XLE
2000 Cam XLE Gold Edition V6
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
#10 Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
イリジウム

Pardon me there, Projektvertx. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektvertx View Post
Please refer to my earlier post, I clearly stated S1B1 is between the firewall and the engine...
#11 Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 AM
SaganGanthering

4th Generation

Quote:
Look on the underside of the Hood for the Emissions decal. It will tell you if you have a CALIFORNIA standard or Non-California standard. New York and Massettusetts also use Calif standard.

You have to select accordingly, basically Calif or Non-Calif.
Thanks JohnGD. At least that seems to suggest that my car is indeed Calif spec'd (i don't know how Hill/Ninja Wrench knew!). I'm in NY and the sticker seems to hint that it's a Calif car.
#12 Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
TN's Mad Chemist

No offense taken, I just didn't want to be misquoted
Quote:
Pardon me there, Projektvertx. My bad.

1997 Acura RL-Gone
#13 Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 PM
SaganGanthering

For anyone who has missed my 2001 Camry saga of "Is it California spec'd or not?": The hood sticker and Denso/Toyota Air/Fuel sensor suggets it's Cali. The VIN # (same on dash and hood) say it's not a Calif car.

Grr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)